Fuel Tank....replace or refurbish? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having fuel tank issues and I wondered if anyone had a line on aftermarket tanks, especially oversized ones. I guess I could remove and refurbish my existing one, but then I still have a 20 gallon tank, which is barely enough for some treks. Has anyone replaced their tank with an aftermarket plastic tank? That would solve the rust issues I'm having in mine. your thought ladies and gentlemen.....well, dudes and dudettes might be better suited among pig owners.

I tried to refurbish mine with little luck.

I ended up with a custom 'rectangle' forty gallon replacement. It fills the frame rails and goes from bottom of body to bottom of frame.

All aluminum and it was ~$500.
you had it custom made or bought a custom made replacement?....gotta pic of yours?

It was a steal... even though I messed up on measurements a little bit (too wide). I provided the material with one 90 degree bend already done.

The shop was Fishmouth Fabrication up here in Georgetown, Calif.

NOTE: my tank is for a GM sending unit and only the fill neck hoses(two auxiliary plus main fill)

Here is driver side:
jstank2_sml-jpg.555123

Here is bottom view 'first install' Yes, it goes from body to bottom of frame:
jstank12_sml-jpg.555135

Here is GM sender. It sits in the factory FJ55 opening in the back:
jstank7_sml-jpg.555130

In theory, you could get a non-fuel pump version of the above sender unit to use.

It has a simple baffle and anti-slosh out the fill neck baffle.
is that sucker bungee corded in? ;)

Frickin’ sweet dude! Love the flush to frame aspect as well at that skid plate!
Was the tank built out of 1/4” aluminum?

Did you plumb venting to the OEM expansion chamber and charcoal canister, or did you come up with something else for that?

Last edited:
That is actually a ratchet strap while I was working on the brackets:rofl: Fabricating in an apartment carport isn't easy... or for the feint of heart:ninja:

I got a nice proper mount fabbed up for it a bit latter:
gas1-jpg.657843

I had my stock tank sent out for the full rehab, in the end was over half of the custom tank price noted above , so unless trying to keep it stock probably better off with the custom.

I took a lot of cues from Lil'John on my tank. Its about 40 gallons and aluminum but mine still bolts to the original holes. I had mine made by a fuel tank shop in San Bernardino. It was $510 delivered to my work.

I took a lot of cues from Lil'John on my tank. Its about 40 gallons and aluminum but mine still bolts to the original holes. I had mine made by a fuel tank shop in San Bernardino. It was $510 delivered to my work.
Would like to get info on shop and specs on tank if you have them.

I've often thought about a long range fuel tank. Bottom line, in eight years now of driving the Pig in all sorts of on/off road situations, I haven't needed more than the stock capacity. Something to think about. Would it be more convenient stop less often to fill up at 10-12 mpg...certainly. Is that the best place to spend $500+ on my Pig...not so far. What I may do is fab a hitch-mounted can carrier for those rare times when I might need a little extra fuel...could get the same capacity much more inexpensively without having to relocate the spare tire, etc.

Most of the time, the stock capacity is sufficient. However, I’ve personally had lots of times coming out of the bush running on fumes, praying we make it to the petrol station, even after going through the 4 or 5 gallons from the Jerry Can.

Classic Cruisers of Salida, (now owned by Brandon and located in Poncha Springs) had a replacement long range tank for the 55 . It was at least 3-5 years ago, but Merle had it in storage for at least a decade. Never asked a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom