fuel system basics -- converting FJ60 to diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I think the next diesel conversion I do will be a 60 body on a 1-ton Powersmoke chassis. I like my 1-ton, but I'd like it a lot better if it had a wagon body. ;)

Thanks to everyone that has posted info here. That Isuzu site has given me some new ideas :eek:. What about this idea....

Take a 617 with it's slushbox tranny out of a good donor. toss the tranny, Keep the flex plate since it seems to be balanced to the crank (someone correct me if this is incorrect - as it may be). Machine an adapter like the one used on the Isuzu site to bolt a Toyota flywheel to the flexplate :grinpimp:. Also machine an adapter ring to mate the Toyota bell housing to the back of the 617. The thickness of the adaptor ring and the flywheel/flexplate adaptor will have to be worked out to get the input shaft/H55f to the correct location. With that all worked out it should be a piece of cake to mount the H55f using all Toyota clutch parts.

Any suggestions or comments welcome...

Now to find the perfect donor ... Seen quite a few on Ebay lately.

John

Thanks to everyone that has posted info here. That Isuzu site has given me some new ideas :eek:. What about this idea....

Take a 617 with it's slushbox tranny out of a good donor. toss the tranny, Keep the flex plate since it seems to be balanced to the crank (someone correct me if this is incorrect - as it may be). Machine an adapter like the one used on the Isuzu site to bolt a Toyota flywheel to the flexplate :grinpimp:. Also machine an adapter ring to mate the Toyota bell housing to the back of the 617. The thickness of the adaptor ring and the flywheel/flexplate adaptor will have to be worked out to get the input shaft/H55f to the correct location. With that all worked out it should be a piece of cake to mount the H55f using all Toyota clutch parts.

Any suggestions or comments welcome...

Now to find the perfect donor ... Seen quite a few on Ebay lately.

John

DO IT!! Sell me the kit and I'll love you FOREVER !! :beer: :beer:

LOL ChuckB - I just might do that. It won;t be until next summer at the earliest. The wife wants me to build her an FJ40 - something I've wanted to do for a while - and It'll get this setup if I can make it work. Waiting to see how the guys in Wyoming fit a 40 with a 617. Then I'll do it to my FJ60 and convert for veggie oil. :cheers:

LOL ChuckB - I just might do that. It won;t be until next summer at the earliest. The wife wants me to build her an FJ40 - something I've wanted to do for a while - and It'll get this setup if I can make it work. Waiting to see how the guys in Wyoming fit a 40 with a 617. Then I'll do it to my FJ60 and convert for veggie oil. :cheers:

Thanks I'm in no rush, I have to convince the wife to let me buy another cruiser... :D

You know I agree with some of the other guys that this engine just isn't right for your rig. I own a 1973 240d Benz with an SVO fuel system from GreaseCar. It's my daily commuter and I love it. However, Theirs not a lot of power under the hood and that is just something I accept. No doubt you'll get it working, but when you take it for it's first test you'll find it just can't perform. My advice reconsider and instead put in a Cummins 3.9 Turbo 4 banger. It will give you many years of strong reliable service and probably a bit better fuel economy. If I ever get the money together that engine would be my first choice.

So you have a 4-cylinder, naturally aspirated Benz diesel... You do know we're talking about an engine with 25% more cylinders and displacement than yours plus a turbo, right? Just checking. :)

Yes, Cummins are nice engines in some ways. Also loud and rattle like crazy. Certainly not the be-all and end-all of conversions, and there have been lots of good and bad comments about them here on Mud and elsewhere. Read the thread and see why people are interested in these, and even do some web searching to see how folks hop them up.

No doubt people will complain about my PSJ60, too, if I ever decide to do it -- 7.2L Powerstroke in a 60. :)

I'm planning to put a 6.9 with banks sidwinder in my 60, so no, you won't get any whining from me.

More on subjuect, I am still VERY interested in putting a 617 in my 40 and I will place one more vote for a benz bellhousing to toyota trans adapter.

Alternately as these engines have a removable bellhousing adapter ring from the factory, it would seem to me that you could make a new one with what ever bellhousing pattern you wanted as long as it located the starter correctly.

Thanks
Jonathan

Hi All! A (good) diesel swap into an FJ60 is of interest to me too. I read all the reasons why you all like the m/b om617 motor and some questioning whether it's got enough power. I was wondering why you don't read much about the Mercedes om603 6 cyl as a swap candidate. I know that it has 20% more cylinders, is harder to find, more expensive and less durable. I'm guessing it has more displacement and more power, but I'm just guessing because I couldn't find much info on the topic. Is it a good swap candidate for this application?

Last edited:
I guess everyone has there own reasons for doing a diesel swap in the first place. Choosing an engine like this brings to light many issues to overcome - so why do it? Well - 1st of all I've read about this engine being swapped into several 4-runners - the links to these writeups are in this post somewhere - and even though that is a lighter vehicle it is comparable and power was not an issue with those swaps - I'm not concerned about power. The benefits of using this engine are as follows - (correct me if I'm wrong here) - 1. availability of engines and parts at a low price (well reasonable) 2.VAST amounts of information on repairing this engine and "tweaking" the TURBO. 3. Reliability and longevity - common to see 300K + miles and beyond. 4. Did I mention TWEAK the turbo for more POWER. 5. Ease of converting to WVO and a history of doing well on WVO. 6. Fitment - if a Cummins fit in a 60 without a monster lift I might rethink a 4bt or even 6bt BUT - they are very "TALL" engines and also quite HEAVY - the 617 should fit without any issues in a rig with a moderate lift (3-4 inches maybe less). Well thats all I can think of right now. Add in as anyone sees fit. As it is I'm looking to really start on this project sometime next summer - that is as long as my 2f continues to perform as splendidly as it currently does :). So several of ppl here should have some results on thier swaps by then I hope. CHEERS !!!! :cheers:

John

what I would do is maybe get behind the wheel of someone you know with a Benz diesel, they weigh about 4K lbs I think, you will get a good idea of power. It is good but again I think it will probably be a little weak IMO..

Anymore info on the H55f adapters?

Yeah, he told me a while back that he wouldn't be getting to those adapters anytime soon. I wouldn't hold yer breath. :)

So how close is your set up?

Any more info..............

i just stumbled on this thread, man its old, but still good reading.

polar, i was THIS close to putting a 617TD in my FJ55, but then had an idea and went another route. i had two doner cars, and unlike a previous response manual tranny 300TD cars were definitely imported cause i have (had) one. i think the 617 TD is goin to be a little underpowered, i think it will drive much like the 2F honestly. not bad, but not a major improvement, until you factor in that you can be off the pump AND double the mileage, now that medocre power is much more tolerable;)

i am in the midst of dropping a 4BD1T into my piggy, i have made some contributions to that thread, no pics yet, i am taking pics as i go and will post a writeup on the deal when i get it done. (couple weeks prolly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom