Fuel pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
(Toypta 3b)When I go to turn the key I can't hear fuel pump (like I usually can) and the engine is reluctant to start and will stop if im not giving any throttle. I tried to take the fuel filter thing off but am not sure how to take it off.

Any ideas on either?

Cheers

20230828_211931.jpg

Last edited:
Try pumping the primer, black knobby thing in your picture.
If the primer gets stiff quickly then great, if soft and spongy suspect an air vacuum leak hence the need to maintain high revs.
You can also swap out the fuel hose from primer to the pump looking for clear fuel vs fuel with air bubbles.
Once you have finished the above use clear hose to test back towards the tank. Otherwise stick the clear hose into a container of fuel and at the IP(pump) to see if the engine runs better.

Try pumping the primer, black knobby thing in your picture.
If the primer gets stiff quickly then great, if soft and spongy suspect an air vacuum leak hence the need to maintain high revs.
You can also swap out the fuel hose from primer to the pump looking for clear fuel vs fuel with air bubbles.
Once you have finished the above use clear hose to test back towards the tank. Otherwise stick the clear hose into a container of fuel and at the IP(pump) to see if the engine runs better.
If it is an airlock will I need to losen off the injectors to bleed etc?

What engine/chassis is this? I didn't know toyota used lift pumps on their diesels

your fuel filter may be plugged as it clearly hasn’t been changed for a while. the white filter screws just like and oil filter. put a new one on every 6-12 months as routine maintenance

after you change the filter, pump the little black plunger until it’s stiff then start it. it should purge and air but if not then crack the injector lines and start it. that should purge any air

Last edited:
your fuel filter may be plugged as it clearly hasn’t been changed for a while. the white filter screws just like and oil filter. put a new one on every 6-12 months as routine maintenance
Yeah. I did a test which bypassed both fuel filters and the problem wasn't fixed. So I think the lines may have a blockage

or you may have an air leak. a simple way to check is get clear a clear hose from the filter to the pump and see if you have bubbles being drawn in while it’s running. if you do you have to search all your fuel line to see where it’s getting in. if you don’t have bubbles then it’s a different problem. change your fuel filter anyway!!

(Toypta 3b)When I go to turn the key I can't hear fuel pump (like I usually can)
There is no electric fuel pump in 3B. If there is, it’s someones own patent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom