Fuel filter in 40 minutes like a boss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tips for fuel filter
Open gas cap
1 slot the new filter for easy installation
2 . 24 inch extension 3/8 drive 6 point swivel socket 12mm
3. 17 mm socket for fuel lines use 6 point only

Go up from underneath for the filter bolts

I did both fuel lines with stubby 17 mm through top of engine bust loose then turned out by hand on both sides

You can also reach the back fuel line bango bolt thru the bottom
Hope this helps somebody!

Last edited:
That kicked my ass twice ass bad as the PHH or #2 hose. I just couldn't get the lines to start on the threads. Took <15 minutes to get out and ~1 hr. to get back in!

That kicked my ass twice ass bad as the PHH or #2 hose. I just couldn't get the lines to start on the threads. Took <15 minutes to get out and ~1 hr. to get back in!

same experience here .. I remove the wheel tire drivers side and from the bottom did the hole job ...

Yea I can do phh in bout 15 minutes, I did work for cruiser guru for year who gave me lots tips and tricks of the trade (thank you sir)and I work private jets, all bout the right tools, and with the s*** I deal with on jets there is so much room to work on a 80 series

Yea I can do phh in bout 15 minutes, I did work for cruiser guru for year who gave me lots tips and tricks of the trade (thank you sir)and I work private jets, all bout the right tools, and with the s*** I deal with on jets there is so much room to work on a 80 series

Ready for your PHH Advice ;)

Tips for fuel filter
1 slot the new filter for easy installation
2 . 24 inch extension 3/8 drive 6 point swivel socket 12mm
3. 17 mm socket for fuel lines use 6 point only

Go up from underneath for the filter bolts

I did both fuel lines with stubby 17 mm through top of engine bust loose then turned out by hand on both sides

You can also reach the back fuel line bango bolt thru the bottom
Hope this helps somebody!

What was condition of filter media you removed?
Have you changed fuel sock on pickup in tank?

The fuel filter pooped out brownish gas so pretty dirty I changed it cause it had 300 k on it so I figured bout time, I'm gonna cut it open prob tomorrow or this weekend just to see it. Advice for phh is get gear wrench 12 mm for the pipe bolts, either break the lower tab off or just loosen the bolt( I just loosened the bolt ) pull top bolt out, then I use snipes to pull the old cotter pins out, then razor blade off old hose, cut new hose same size put the clamp on the engine side on the hose stick it all the way on, then line up pipe to hose with new clamp on pipe, once it's lined up too the other end hose open palm push the pipe into the hose and seat all the way, tighten up clamps and bolt, done . Also drain rad and block now refill I left knock sensor plugged in, some unplug it cause you can break it choice is up to you. Hornd if you need more help pm me. I also use green coolant.

I'll do sock when I replace the pump, it's doing fine so I haven't changed it in my truck, but have done 40 fuel pump and another 80 it's pretty easy.

Hornd I also did not remove tire for phh I'm on 5 inch lift or so and 37s I just turned the wheel full right then squeezed in behind the tire, would probably help to remove the tire if your not small like me, and then work thru the acces holes in wheel well

^^^^^^^^ DeJa Vu for me.

Fuel Filter kicked my Arse too!

Getting that back line to start was a killer. I don't have long, spindly arms with double jointed wrists and elbows, so just reaching in there (from above or below) isn't going to happen. Everything was done blindly and with my arm jammed in an impossibly tight position...all the while...straining to reach the fuel filter.

PHH was a piece of cake by comparison.

I've always thought this was the most overrated job on all 80 series. Both times I've done it, it has taken maybe 30 minutes. Spent more time cleaning and putting away tools afterwards. 12mm bolts get taken from below with wobble extensions. 17mm banjo's get taken through the wheel well or from above with a wrench. Helps to have a step stool to stand on so you can get up under the hood.

I've always thought this was the most overrated job on all 80 series. Both times I've done it, it has taken maybe 30 minutes. Spent more time cleaning and putting away tools afterwards. 12mm bolts get taken from below with wobble extensions. 17mm banjo's get taken through the wheel well or from above with a wrench. Helps to have a step stool to stand on so you can get up under the hood.

Getting the filter off...is not a big problem. Getting the banjo bolt (toward the rear) started without dropping one of the new crush washers isn't so easy. Once you get everything started, yes....you can manage to tighten all the bolts.

I'd be willing to bet this very issue is the reason why the fuel filter on a 100 series is mounted right on the fender-well and is incredibly easy to access and change out. Toyota recognized the 'inconvenient' arrangement on the 80 series and corrected it on later models.

The fuel filter pooped out brownish gas so pretty dirty I changed it cause it had 300 k on it so I figured bout time, I'm gonna cut it open prob tomorrow or this weekend just to see it. Advice for phh is get gear wrench 12 mm for the pipe bolts, either break the lower tab off or just loosen the bolt( I just loosened the bolt ) pull top bolt out, then I use snipes to pull the old cotter pins out, then razor blade off old hose, cut new hose same size put the clamp on the engine side on the hose stick it all the way on, then line up pipe to hose with new clamp on pipe, once it's lined up too the other end hose open palm push the pipe into the hose and seat all the way, tighten up clamps and bolt, done . Also drain rad and block now refill I left knock sensor plugged in, some unplug it cause you can break it choice is up to you. Hornd if you need more help pm me. I also use green coolant.

From my 80 series:

FF_Land%20Cruiser_zpsxheawzgy.jpg

From my LX470:

FF2_zpsbbjlt3rx.jpg

mine has 165K on it. At what mileage would one consider replacing the fuel filter? I'm one of those who prefers to do PM at personal convenience (in other words before things to go kaput). However, I don't like doing stuff unnecessarily prematurely either;)

mine has 165K on it. At what mileage would one consider replacing the fuel filter? I'm one of those who prefers to do PM at personal convenience (in other words before things to go kaput). However, I don't like doing stuff unnecessarily prematurely either;)

I would replace it, maintenance is never bad in this cases.

I did mine a month or so ago and the hardest part is putting it back on. I removed the RF wheel, loosened the fuel lines and used long extensions from below to remove the filter from the intake manifold. With the gas cap removed there wasn't too much fuel spillage.

Next on the list is the oil pump gasket and PHH. Actually next on the list is finishing the house remodel.

Great Info! Thx.
I have the 12mm Swivel Head Gearwrench.
Plan to go Prestone Green, when I do PHH.
Using Gates Hose/Breeze Constant Torque Clamps and seriously considering eliminating metal pipe (bypass) and eliminating 2 connections.

I have the filter and just and FYI the Bosch comes from Japan, maybe the OEM supplier???

Bosch Filter Japan.JPG

Where you bought it from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom