Fuel and Temp gauges intermittent

After bringing my FJ back from its 10+ year slumber I have found all the gauges work, but the fuel and temp gauges fluctuate. They come and go in unison and randomly. It only affects the temp and fuel gauges.....the oil and amp gauges never have issues. I'm guessing its a ground issue but does anyone have a suggestion on where to look first? I've done some searching but can't find anything regarding this exact issue. Is there a certain location that would only affect those two gauges? I've wiggled wires under the dash it hopes that I would catch something but nothing yet. They just randomly work and stop working as I'm driving down the road.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've had a similar issue with gauges.. it turned out to be light corrosion on the fuse holders, and the chrome part of the barrel fuses. I rolled up a bit of sandpaper and scuffed up the brass holders and replaced the fuses. On the HJ47 I think they run through the Heater fuse, it maybe different on yours.

Thanks @duncanrm. I originally didn't have headlights (but all other lights) so I took a round file and cleaned every fuse holder in the block. It fixed the headlight issue right away. I will check again with the fuse to the gauge panel, but I thought it was odd that only those two specific gauges are having an issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Skreddy

SILVER Star
As said, check fuse contact condition. Then go through and check and clean the grounds. I had this similar problem on a 79 I was working on and it was a corroded ground between engine and frame (starter to frame).

I completely understand the importance of grounds, but the weird thing to me is that ONLY the fuel and temp gauge....nothing else. All dash lights work. I just thought maybe there was a specific wire that would ONLY affect those two gauges. I had my fingers AND toes crossed..... :)

pb4ugo

SILVER Star
What year 40?. I think the early 40s had a separate wires going to the gauges. Later versions I think have a printed circuit board on thr back and a barrel connector/plug. Disconnect the batt b4 removing the gauge cluster. It has exposed contacts for the amp gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom