Builds Front Range CO Build - BerettaMato (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK here is a little update. I have 800 mile on her now and I have been running like I would normally drive. I am very imprest with the new motor. I have no problems passing even on the freeway now. Cruise control will keep me at 75mph on my way to work without even down shifting or going over 3000rpm on the two big hills that are on that route. That was not possible before not even close. 0-60 time feel like it is cut down at least two seconds not sure, never recorded a baseline on old motor. I will be traveling to Evergreen this thursday for a Cruise Moab meeting and this will be my first mountain visit since motor swap. That drive is very steep incline about 3k feet in 6-7 miles and should tell us a lot. Next weekend I will be doing the first oil change and switching to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 per Robbie's advice.

Had some down time before work this week so I installed the hand throttle kit I bought. Works great and should help out when filling tires and winching. Thanks @beno for sourcing the new foot pedal.
IMG_20171117_084948.jpg
IMG_20171117_094026.jpg
IMG_20171117_094018.jpg

And how's that engine running? Taken a drive to the mountains yet up a grade?

And how's that engine running? Taken a drive to the mountains yet up a grade?

FFS dont just look at the pictures, read the post from today! :bang:

FFS dont just look at the pictures, read the post from today! :bang:
Oh. Thought that post was from last week. I want to know about that Evergreen trip. I have lots of steep roads around Durango and I want more power. Tired of being in the slow lane with the semi's.

On another note, I got a bad tank of gas in my 94. We had gas-mageddon in Dallas during Harvey and lots of stations ran dry. Anyway, one bad tank and it crapped out the filter, killed an injector, and spark plugs. Tank had to get drained, filters had to get changed...it was a mess. Out of that 5 injectors got cleaned/flow-tested and one was replaced. The old truck runs better now than it did before.

FYI 11.3 seconds 0-60 not bad with it fully loaded and two people and two dogs onboard. I think when I was coming back for California with the stock truck is was in the 15-16 ish 0-60. I think what I like the most is how smooth it pulls no hard shifts and motor does not sound like it is even working hard.

Dyno time!

All of this sounds promising. At the moment Robbie quit returning my emails, but he may be on vacation. I'm ready get in the queue.

Wait, I thought the oem hand throttle mounted to the factory pedal as it is? I've got one that I'm just waiting until I find the time to install.

Wait, I thought the oem hand throttle mounted to the factory pedal as it is? I've got one that I'm just waiting until I find the time to install.
Not all of them have the tab on the pedal needed. I had the support mount but not the right pedal. Check and see if you have if not order one from Onur.

OK here is a little update. I have 800 mile on her now and I have been running like I would normally drive. I am very imprest with the new motor. I have no problems passing even on the freeway now. Cruise control will keep me at 75mph on my way to work without even down shifting or going over 3000rpm on the two big hills that are on that route. That was not possible before not even close. 0-60 time feel like it is cut down at least two seconds not sure, never recorded a baseline on old motor. I will be traveling to Evergreen this thursday for a Cruise Moab meeting and this will be my first mountain visit since motor swap. That drive is very steep incline about 3k feet in 6-7 miles and should tell us a lot. Next weekend I will be doing the first oil change and switching to Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 per Robbie's advice.

Thanks for the continued feedback/updates.
Would you still say Robbie's 4.6HC is less than a 4.5 s/c (in terms of power/torgue/repsonsiveness/peppiness)?
Will be curious when you're past the break-in completely and push it more to see.

Thanks for the continued feedback/updates.
Would you still say Robbie's 4.6HC is less than a 4.5 s/c (in terms of power/torgue/repsonsiveness/peppiness)?
Will be curious when you're past the break-in completely and push it more to see.
I would say it is on par or slightly better without any of the disadvantages that come with a S/C. To me that make it a much better option if you have an old motor. If you had a motor with lets say 100k on it I would probably look at a S/C. All depends on what you want and can afford.

I would say it is on par or slightly better without any of the disadvantages that come with a S/C. To me that make it a much better option if you have an old motor. If you had a motor with lets say 100k on it I would probably look at a S/C. All depends on what you want and can afford.
I agree. Good to hear more good news about Robbie's build. I'm not sure how many he has out there but they've been popping up more and more.

I agree. Good to hear more good news about Robbie's build. I'm not sure how many he has out there but they've been popping up more and more.

Robbie has probably rebuilt more 1FZ’s than anyone in the US.

He has been doing this going on almost 20 years.

Robbie has probably rebuilt more 1FZ’s than anyone in the US.

He has been doing this going on almost 20 years.

I'd believe it from what it sounds like earlier with Slee and then on his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom