Front knuckle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did the rebuild on the front end using OEM seals December of 16. Noticed today on the passenger side front inner wheel that appears to be some grease or oil. The knuckles looked nowhere near as bad as when I picked the rig up but is it possible the seals failed after just 4000 non wheeling miles? If so F me!!

Yeah if your old axles had grooves where the seals sit then it's going to leak again. Could be other reason too. If you pull your diff fill plug and they gear oil has grease in it then the seal is bad

How long has the vehicle been sitting? Sometimes if it’s been sitting for a while a drip or two of oil can appear.

How do you figure that?

It hasn’t been sitting, my daughter uses it as a daily driver. Just showed up within the last week or two. Moly at the seals but it had weeped onto the inner front passenger tire.

I say seals, but the wiper is where I saw it

Oil or grease? Grease is fine, oil is not. The felt wipers are meant to wipe grease across the back of the knuckle balls. Snap a pic and post it up.

You might consider over driving the seal a bit dealer to get out of the grove.

Witsend has a driver to do that.

Oil or grease? Grease is fine, oil is not. The felt wipers are meant to wipe grease across the back of the knuckle balls. Snap a pic and post it up.

Agreed. In the summer, the grease can thin a bit and make you think oil is leaking out. However, its February and you are in Iowa so I doubt that is an issue. How many miles on your 80? Original axle shafts?

Hard to say, OP didn't say he had aftermarket axle seals, totally possible stock axles are worn out, but I bet he has more than 50-60,000 miles on the stock shafts?

Probably due to aftermarket axle shafts. Paging @scottryana

I think I need new wiper seals and felt on mine I never changed them after redoing the driver side inner axle seal three times and my knuckle balls are dry. Come to think of it my passenger side has been dry and never leaked.. did I do something wrong?? They're probably tightened over spec since I know it only like 12-20ftlbs or something like that

This sounds backwards to me. If you had old worn out felts and seals they would let more grease pass not less. I would check your knuckles for the proper amount of grease.

I think I need new wiper seals and felt on mine I never changed them after redoing the driver side inner axle seal three times and my knuckle balls are dry. Come to think of it my passenger side has been dry and never leaked.. did I do something wrong?? They're probably tightened over spec since I know it only like 12-20ftlbs or something like that

When I did my trail gear axles the passenger side was still 3/4ish full and I added some. Driver's side was soup so that got packed three quarters full. the felts and wipers on mine are almost a year old I think

it had weeped onto the inner front passenger tire.

If you have grease finding it's way onto the tire, then it's a fair bet oil is getting past the seal.
Until you tear it down, there's no way to know if it's the axle seal, or a groove in the axle.
Seals are cheap. In Aus, OEM seals are about $9 a throw.
Order up some new ones before you tear it apart.

Ps, ignore @nukegoat , he'll have you ordering a HG too.

I got busy yesterday afternoon and didn't have a chance to get back to this. I did the axle job with OEM seals and all new felts and wipers a year 4000 miles or so. Nothing aftermarket. It seemed to be grease, not oil. The drip was one spot on the tire which was throwing me off. When the rear seal went, it threw oil around the tire like spin art and was dripping when parked. I didn't notice any drips on the pavement or active drips. As far as I know, they are the factory axle shafts. No clicking or grinding noted of any sort. I will post pics up this afternoon when I get home and have access to the vehicle.

How is the grease level? If low, the grease can be overworked and give up oil.

I'm going to open the inspection port tonight to see whats up. Any tips on the best method to do this or measure levels? Figure if it comes up soupy I'm hosed anyway and I will just tear it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom