Front-End Rattle. Not The Usual Suspects. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, maybe it is the usual suspects, but they're playing hard to get.

Over big bumps--no rattle

Over small, undulating bumps that make the front end dance around a little bit--rattle.

Jacked the front up by the frame and banged things around with a 5-lb sledge. Nothing seems amiss on the TRE's, etc. Snugged up my shock bolts top and bottom. I had a loose drag link end (relay rod) replaced thinking that was surely the culprit, but no. It did tighten my steering tremendously but still the rattle. Just had a state inspection from my reputable shop and nothing was amiss. My next theory is perhaps the springs or 30mm spacers need to be reseated but they've been trouble free for 5 years now so I'd think they are where they want to be. Worn shocks? They are so old I'm embarrassed to say.

What say you, 80's brethren?

They look nice and supple and passed the 5-lb sledge test. Gotta be something like that though. My wife's little Mazda had the same sound and it was the sway bar end links BUT I could get them to make noise by yanking on them. Not so on my 80...yet.

I have the same type of rattle. It drives me insane. Only on washboard roads....

Do you still have the stock front bumper? Mine used to rattle.

Last edited:
I do. Thought about that but I feel this in my feet.

I had a rattle like that. It turned out to be the metal shield behind the portion of the dash under the steering wheel in the cab. One of the screws had backed out a little and the metal shield was vibrating.

I had a nut fall off a bolt on my bumper that caused a similar situation as yours. Also had another rattle that I traced to the rear sway bar attachment on the driver side. Not sure how the nut backed off but there was about a 1/16" of play there.

Give this a try.

Front end noise diagnosis - Video Link

Mine was the OEM pads striking the caliper just ever so slightly. Removed the second shim (vented one that looks like a grill) and the noise was gone. Chased this for years.

Good luck.

john-

Check the steering shaft where it exits the firewall. There is a rubber bushing/grommet that disintegrates often on these rigs and sometimes the steering shaft will tap the opening making noise. See this link for pics and write up.

Hot drivers feet? This may be your fix.

Had the same except it was still there during big bumps - it was the catalytic converter heat shield.

exhaust heat shield was mine

Check the little ball joints on the sway bar end links. With the rig on level ground, crawl underneath, put one hand around the joint, and with the other hand try to pull up and down on the sway bar. May take two people as the sway bar is fairly beefy. Likely their is a little bit of play, especially if they have never been replaced.

ToolsRUs nailed my issue. Had a rattle I could feel under my feet on smaller bumps and washboards. Turns out the bolt for the body mount had loosened and the puck (1" body lift) was moving around. After driving myself nuts trying to find it I finally took it to the dealer and the mechanic figured it out during the test drive with me in the truck. I felt dumb.

A friend of mine and I took his truck for a test drive because he had a clunk that was driving him nuts. He said he removed all the loose stuff from the back of his truck, so we drove around and listened to the noise. We crawled underneath and determined that it was the upper and lower trailing arms in the back and probably the rear track bar that needed bushings so he had all of them replaced.

After he got it back, it still did it. He crawled under it to check something and when he did, he placed his hand on the RR bumper end cap. Turns out it was loose. He tightened the bolts and the noise went away........

Front Sway bar link to frame. Loose Allen bolt. My guess.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I think I've got it narrowed down. I crawled underneath again today and took a closer look. Sway bar bushings on the axle end don't look great and I can get some movement out of them. I figured I may as well replace them now regardless so I removed the entire sway bar and I'm not hearing the rattle. I've got some on order from Mr. T. I'm adding some new TRE grease boots as well as mine are torn. That could also be the culprit, letting the ball too easily pivot until it hits the stops. I think it's the sway bushings though. I'll report back this weekend.

Last edited:
Gotta love ASTROGLIDE for new bushings! Lol.

43FE23A5-32CB-41CE-BD32-E7EBE5AE2C25.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom