Front diff bushing replacement? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The front "hockey puck" bushing I did via a jack. Untighten the bolt while the jack is supporting the front diff. Gravity did most of the work, but I let jack down a few cm to swap out the new OEM bushing. 1 banana job!

Regarding the drivers J bushing/arm, I had ACC replace mine with the OEM part. However, I'd go SuperPro poly as a replacement next time: SuperPro Bushing Kit for TOYOTA LAND CRUISER 100 Series - 1998-2007

I'll give this a try. Can you outline your basic procedure? Did you lube the housing first with grease, etc?

has anyone tried a polyurethane insert/pad on this mount? I don't have access to air hammers or press.

I have a set of these coming next week. 2.25" OD x 1/2" thick 70a polyurethane pad. At least I get 8 of them to try. I'll have to mod one side for concentric cone washer. Been a few months since I looked at mine when I did the diff drop kit. I'm hoping the guts in the diff cover are still good to keep the barrel washer concentric.

Universal Body Mount Set | 9.9528

Just FYI - I did this in situ, with nothing but a 3 lb hammer, flathead screwdriver, and a floor jack. It took me all day, but it *is* possible, just not enjoyable. Pressing it in was just as hard as removing it, and I had to use the hammer to beat the last 1/4” or so. I still couldn’t get it flush, but close enough to consider it done since it fixed my thunk.

Just FYI - I did this in situ, with nothing but a 3 lb hammer, flathead screwdriver, and a floor jack. It took me all day, but it *is* possible, just not enjoyable. Pressing it in was just as hard as removing it, and I had to use the hammer to beat the last 1/4” or so. I still couldn’t get it flush, but close enough to consider it done since it fixed my thunk.

Rent a press from advance auto to get it to seat all the way. It’s a 20 min job max

Differential frt bushing (2).JPG
Differential frt bushing (3).JPG
Differential frt bushing (4).JPG
Differential frt bushing (6).JPG
Differential frt bushing (7).JPG

I'll see how well this works, polyurethane installed

46769758402_72bbd833d7_b.jpg

46769758532_5a2461c32f_b.jpg

It would be great if someone could make a video on this. Very common problem that many of us would do well to address.

Can anyone verify the part number for the (8) bolts for the Front Diff Cover (41181B)?

I have a 99 LC. Thanks

Thanks so much. Was pretty certain on the diff cover, but saw a couple different numbers for the bolts. Looks like 90105-10417 has replaced the old number of 90105-10117. Thanks again!
41108-60011- Cover
90105-10417 - bolts

41108-60011- Cover
90105-10417 - bolts
Is there a new paper/rubber gasket I need to purchase if I pull off the front diff cover or just use Toyota FIPG?

41108-60011- Cover
90105-10417 - bolts
Is there a new paper/rubber gasket I need to purchase if I pull off the front diff cover or just use Toyota FIPG?

It's FIPG- is there a reason you're taking the cover off?
Thanks Rolocado. I bought a front locker and 4.88 gears. Getting parts together now. Going to update front diff bushings and some crusty bolts while getting this done.

Ordered all of the front diff bushings from PartSouq. My 98 LX has D to R clunk, bushings are a bit worn and the front drive shaft feels like excessive play when shifting into drive or reverse. I'll update once I get installed on the improvement.

View attachment 1905942
I have a 99 with 211k. I also have a slight bump from D to R. Just order the same parts on Part Souq as well. Doing my transmission bushings and motor mounts as well. Looking forward to seeing if this solves that bump.

I have a 99 with 211k. I also have a slight bump from D to R. Just order the same parts on Part Souq as well. Doing my transmission bushings and motor mounts as well. Looking forward to seeing if this solves that bump.

I suspect it will help. I'm not sure what is with the front driveshaft / diff slack. Maybe it's always been that way, but I can notice the clunk because the bushings are bad.

I replaced the front and driver side bushing on mine, still have a clunk. Need to replace the rear bushing, but it doesn't have a ton of freeplay. I think my clunk is coming from slack in the front diff. The front shaft spins about a half turn going from drive to reverse and I don't see much slack in the CVs.

Replacing the pressed in front bushing isn't difficult with correct tools. I drilled out the old bushing center, used a small and medium sized chisel to work the old bushing housing loose, cleaned up the slot with some sandpaper, greased new bushing, started to seat the new bushing with the bolt & washer, and then pressed it in with a c-clamp style press. Took about an hour, a prybar will be useful push the diff down, to remove the press if needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom