Front diff bushing replacement? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any one replaced this? How do you get the rubber bushing/mount out? Mine is worn and shifts back and forth when accelerating or decelerating.
image-2866857917.jpg
image-315240794.jpg

Never mind figured it out. I'll post up picks of my toast bushing when new one arrives.

That is exactly what my old one looked like, were you able to find just the bushing... I had to get the entire bracket...

ckkone said:
That is exactly what my old one looked like, were you able to find just the bushing... I had to get the entire bracket...

X's 2....I replaced the entire bracket.

This is the front most bushing. Where my slee diff drop is. I think I finally found the bushing part number - 41651-60010. I will also be replacing the rear mount that is closest to the driveshaft output on the diff. That one I have to order the entire mounting. That is the part number you sent me Chris. The front most mounting that i photographed just pushes out. I took it apart tonight and the bushing literally fell apart. Time to be replaced. 217k miles. Calling Bountiful Toyota in the morning - I hope they live up to their name and can hook me up with parts this week.

Were you able to source just the bushing. I am going through my suspension now. 170,000 miles. Thanks.

Scott

Old thread bump!

I was under my 100 last night doing a little freshening up and found this bushing was completely blown out. I am assuming this is where my drive line vibration is coming from. Can anybody give me some input on whether this is the issue?

Yep, yours is toast, that one you do buy as an assembly, it's the cast steel arm with the bushing formed in place. I bought one from Lowe Toy recently but it already looks sloppy again. My front diff is always moving around a bit, not my favorite mounting design. I don't know if it's causing your vibration but if the rubber is all gone it can't be helping. Part was about 150 IIRC.

Yep, yours is toast, that one you do buy as an assembly, it's the cast steel arm with the bushing formed in place. I bought one from Lowe Toy recently but it already looks sloppy again. My front diff is always moving around a bit, not my favorite mounting design. I don't know if it's causing your vibration but if the rubber is all gone it can't be helping. Part was about 150 IIRC.

I am going to look on OBTUSA's site and see if they have a poly bushing replacement. Rubber just doesn't last on 100's that are wheeled hard. IMHO it's way to heavy, not enough supports, and destroys itself quickly.

I had to replace this too...I was tracking down some vibrations but replacing it didn't really help...oh well, the more vibes, creaks, weird noises the merrier...

You only have to replace the two front diff bushing/bracket assemblies and rack 9 times to break even on an SAS from Slee :flipoff2:

You only have to replace the two front diff bushing/bracket assemblies and rack 9 times to break even on an SAS from Slee :flipoff2:

Toyota has put an ungodly amount of money into my truck and the steering racks. I am blessed they have covered them! I am up to $10,000 in steering racks :(

I'll get around to the SAS some day. Maybe Toyota will get fed up and just do one for me.

Toyota has put an ungodly amount of money into my truck and the steering racks. I am blessed they have covered them! I am up to $10,000 in steering racks :( I'll get around to the SAS some day. Maybe Toyota will get fed up and just do one for me.

How did you get them covered? I was reading through your rack threads the other night and had a nightmare as a result ....

I had to replace this too...I was tracking down some vibrations but replacing it didn't really help...oh well, the more vibes, creaks, weird noises the merrier...

I replaced mine as well. It didn't help as much as I hoped, but it definitely was blown with a hole.

Never mind figured it out. I'll post up picks of my toast bushing when new one arrives.

How did you get this out? Mine looks like its pressed in. Hit it a few time with a screwdriver and hammer to see if I could get it to separate from the front diff hole but I didn't try to hard since my part isn't here yet. Ordering the cushion like you found 41651-60010. Most diagrams show it using the same lower stopper as the rear but mine are different.
I'm replacing all the diff bushings and the front support bracket. Doesn't look like there is a bushing in the rear bracket and I can get by with just the upper/lower stopper? Am I wrong.
I'm basically following all your bushing replacement as well. Doing the front diff along with the swaybar bushings/end links. Then rear control arms and back to the front control arms. Would like to just replace the rear control arm bushings but haven't seen anyone do this with much success??
Thanks for the advice. Getting this 265k soccer mom rig to ride like new to hopefully make next years 100 in the hills!

How did you get this out? Mine looks like its pressed in. Hit it a few time with a screwdriver and hammer to see if I could get it to separate from the front diff hole but I didn't try to hard since my part isn't here yet. Ordering the cushion like you found 41651-60010. Most diagrams show it using the same lower stopper as the rear but mine are different.
I'm replacing all the diff bushings and the front support bracket. Doesn't look like there is a bushing in the rear bracket and I can get by with just the upper/lower stopper? Am I wrong.
I'm basically following all your bushing replacement as well. Doing the front diff along with the swaybar bushings/end links. Then rear control arms and back to the front control arms. Would like to just replace the rear control arm bushings but haven't seen anyone do this with much success??
Thanks for the advice. Getting this 265k soccer mom rig to ride like new to hopefully make next years 100 in the hills!

It took a bit of convincing but I finally got it out with a pneumatic chisel hammer. I took the front diff cover off the truck to make sure I got it out cleanly and back in straight - it was really easy to do once it was off the truck. I would recommend taking it off the truck because you will need to press it back in. Just be patient with it and keep working on it carefully to make sure you don't damage the diff housing. Changing these bushing and mounts really made a significant difference in the drive and handling of my truck. No more thumps on acceleration or stopping.

Good intel Utahfj62! I know both of mine need to be renewed...cussing and delayed the job because I was under the assumption I had to buy the whole damn front diff cover to get that one. Nice to know just the bushing is available! Too bad, for the two front diff support bushings, poly aren't available...seems like it would be a good application...

Appreciate the info Utahfj62! Though I'm not excited about having to take the front diff cover off and don't own a press. Glad to hear that all the things you have done you have felt were worth it. Getting this rig to ride like new should delay the move to the LX570 or get it ready for the teenager.
Thanks as always to the guys who really help here on Mud. I'll update your posts after I follow with thoughts.

So that no-one makes the mistake I made today, I wouldn't recommend doing this in-situ, tried to press the bushing in when the front diff cover was still installed and cracked the front support, as per the picture, just a bit of FYI, (Pretty sure I have caused this due to the angle being a little bit skewed)

IMG_3924.JPG

Any one replaced this? How do you get the rubber bushing/mount out? Mine is worn and shifts back and forth when accelerating or decelerating.
View attachment 693012View attachment 693013

Gentlemen, I'm needing to replace the front diff bushing. I've ordered the cushion mentioned earlier, but do I need? two? I haven't checked the rear mounts' bushings since reading this thread. The oil is from my valve cover bolts being less than finger tight....

IMG_3127.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom