Freedom Off-road UCA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

installed 2 days ago. might be one of the easiest jobs to do on the these trucks, to swap UCA's. my original bushings and BJs were in pretty good shape for a 227k truck. could have gone another 10k or so. anywhooo...the results! had it aligned yesterday. mechanic was as nice and knowledgeable as could be. invited me to watch the whole thing from next to the computer. i think he understood that i knew my way around the truck. though the initial numbers are close, the last alignment that was done by the PO could not get the caster to any better than 0, so in installing the new UCAs and not hitting my matchmarks exactly, those are the initial numbers yesterday, which were pretty damn close to what he dialed in. the truck also pulled to the left "pretty good" as he put it. did it before and after a tire rotation. he swapped front tires left for right. he believes it is a bad tire that is pushing or pulling. so there is some overcorrection for that. i have KO2's that have 30k on them. he also set the alignment for the greater than typical crown/grade of the roads around here so it doesnt want to wander down to the curb.

bottom line is the truck feels much more planted, a bit tighter. easier to drive. have not been on the highway yet. im hoping more than anything that the decent wobble of the whole truck at +75mph will be gone.

IMG-0325.jpg

did we ever find out what replacement ball joints they use? What is the matching OEM one that we can use for future replacements?
I heard that the ball joint is not the same size as OEM. You'll probably need to email the company and ask them for a crossover part number, if they have it.

got a response from them about the ball joints.

"The arms use our own proprietary ball joint. We sell replacements for $35each ."

i think at this price point it's still worth looking into as it's similar to the blackhawk ones too and trail tailor?

Might be worth buying a few replacements now before they quit offering them.

Are we able to adjust caster on these like the SPC?

got a response from them about the ball joints.

"The arms use our own proprietary ball joint. We sell replacements for $35each ."

i think at this price point it's still worth looking into as it's similar to the blackhawk ones too and trail tailor?

We might just have to buy a ball joint and send it to cruiser outfitters to see what 555 ball joint matches up. Just a thought if no other ideas are out there.🤔

installed 2 days ago. might be one of the easiest jobs to do on the these trucks, to swap UCA's. my original bushings and BJs were in pretty good shape for a 227k truck. could have gone another 10k or so. anywhooo...the results! had it aligned yesterday. mechanic was as nice and knowledgeable as could be. invited me to watch the whole thing from next to the computer. i think he understood that i knew my way around the truck. though the initial numbers are close, the last alignment that was done by the PO could not get the caster to any better than 0, so in installing the new UCAs and not hitting my matchmarks exactly, those are the initial numbers yesterday, which were pretty damn close to what he dialed in. the truck also pulled to the left "pretty good" as he put it. did it before and after a tire rotation. he swapped front tires left for right. he believes it is a bad tire that is pushing or pulling. so there is some overcorrection for that. i have KO2's that have 30k on them. he also set the alignment for the greater than typical crown/grade of the roads around here so it doesnt want to wander down to the curb.

bottom line is the truck feels much more planted, a bit tighter. easier to drive. have not been on the highway yet. im hoping more than anything that the decent wobble of the whole truck at +75mph will be gone.

View attachment 2466971
Have you tested at highway speeds to see if the vibration is gone? I’m having an odd vibration at 65mph and above and three separate tire balances hasn’t seemed to fix it. Could an alignment issue really cause the vibration and why?

I probably have but i dont remember. Ha! I dont drive it much in winter but will again more soon. I def want to get the tires road force balanced. Theres a lot that contribute to vibration at speed. Alignment is certainly one of them if out of spec. Bushings/ bearings are other big contributors

Any long-ish term reviews?
I am going to need new upper ball joints in the future and debating on whether I want to replace OEM (which I am at 1.5" of lift currently so right at the edge for OEM UCAs) or purchase these and give them a shot. I don't wheel enough or hard enough to justify the cost of TC, SPC or anything major at twice the cost of these.

I would like to know if the twitch calms down because man, my 06 with a ~1” AHC sensor lift on KO2 275/70/18’s gets reaaaal squirrelly especially when I get after it, even in neutral height.

I would like to know if the twitch calms down because man, my 06 with a ~1” AHC sensor lift on KO2 275/70/18’s gets reaaaal squirrelly especially when I get after it, even in neutral height.
You can easily get 2 deg + caster with OEM UCAs, that will take care of the twitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom