Found Exact Rattle can match to OEM pewter. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So while waiting for my stock pile to come in, I decided to buy some locally, O'reillys and Advance auto parts both had one can. I painted my front bumper. Both sides, multiple coats took just under one can. Coverage was good on each coat. i held the can next to my OEM rear bumperettes and it looks darn close.

land cruiser pewter paint 1.jpg

land cruiser pewter paint 2.jpg

Anyone that has used this SS100 - did yours dry with a "grit" finish? I used this to respray the bumperettes and the color looks good but has a gritty texture from the metallic in the paint it seems. Do I just need to apply clear coat?

Yes, clear coat it for sure.
The manufacturer says you can wipe it off when dry to alleviate the texture.

I'm watching this intently! I too would like to know what the best clear coat option is.

I've got OE seat frames, back panels, all parts, to paint and I'm a little hesitant to get the OE seat springs powder coated. This is my next move. While I'm at it I'm going to do the glove box and Ash tray doors.

I called Dupli-Color, asked about priming bare metal because I am getting a winch bumper.

Primer - DAP16190 or DPP101 self etching primers. DPP101 is from their professional line, will probably bond a little better to bare metal.

SS100 is an enamel paint. They told me it's a very durable product and doesn't need to be clear coated, and a clear coat will turn the SS100 a more dull color. They wouldn't give me a timeline on how long it would last exposed to the elements, because there are too many variables in that. I asked if I could use DAL1695 Clear Coat over it if I was set on using a clear coat, and they said no because it's a lacquer based clear. They don't make a clear that can be used over SS100.

ETA I called again to confirm SS100 was an enamel because their website says Lacquer. Yes, it's an enamel product. Their engine clear coat might work over it, but it would need to be tested first.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried BTY1613 Millennium Silver Pearl? It's marketed as an exact Toyota match. I have no idea what Toyota they're talking about though. Cap looks lighter than SS100.

Amazon product ASIN B00407RSCM
@matzell what did you use for primer and clear coat?
Duplicolor automotive primer and no clear coat. I tried some clear I had and it wrinkled right away. I had to sand it all down and start over. I am not sure it needs it but I am sure it would help.

Dupli-Color's Perfect Match line has about 5 silver colors listed under Toyota on Amazon. They are all lacquers, can be used over DAP16190 or DPP101 self etching primers and clear coated with their perfect match clear (which is somewhere between satin and high gloss). Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this.

I also found a post from 2009 saying this was a good match. Not any cheaper than JTO but at least it's free 2 day shipping.

Amazon product ASIN B00407X84E

Dupli-Color's Perfect Match line has about 5 silver colors listed under Toyota on Amazon. They are all lacquers, can be used over DAP16190 or DPP101 self etching primers and clear coated with their perfect match clear (which is somewhere between satin and high gloss). Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this.

I also found a post from 2009 saying this was a good match. Not any cheaper than JTO but at least it's free 2 day shipping.

Amazon product ASIN B00407X84E

I personally like the bgm0490 the best out of the ones I’ve tried in spray cans.

It can be found in most any auto zone advance auto or O’Reilly store for ~10 bucs.

I personally like the bgm0490 the best out of the ones I’ve tried in spray cans.

It can be found in most any auto zone advance auto or O’Reilly store for ~10 bucs.

Have you tried BTY1613 before?

Pics on amazon make it look a little lighter and less gold in the color compared to bgm0490.

Have you tried BTY1613 before?

Pics on amazon make it look a little lighter and less gold in the color compared to bgm0490.

I haven’t. I did recently try bgm0480 by accident. It’s a bit too dark and I’m going to repaint the ashtray cover with bgm0490.

I thought the BGM0490 looked familiar. Here's what BGM0490 looks like in real life on my '01 Silverado 2500HD, after about 18 years in the Desert Southwest sun (GM color code WA382E, Pewter Metallic):

BGM0490-1.jpg

BGM0490-2.jpg

I might go ahead later today and pull a few parts off my '71 and '76 FJ40s and hold them up to my truck for a closer comparison.

Here are some samples over a Toyota bumper in different lighting. BGM0490 is too gold, BTY1613 is too light and too much metal flake in the color. I remembered my PO gave me a used can of Cruiser Corps pewter. No surprise, it's spot on. Cruiser Corps is an enamel paint, and can be top coated with an enamel clear.

cCfftRX.jpg

YDvSxnS.jpg

64AEWux.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom