Found a FJ25 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indygbd

SILVER Star
Threads
I found a fj25 in Eagle Point, Oregon and had it shipped to me here in Syracuse, IN. I have no idea what my plans are for it. It is very solid overall and came with all the original body parts. The front doors have some rust on the lower inside edge. The front cowl near kick out vents has some torn metal. I was wondering what caused that. When it arrived I realized that someone had mounted jerry can holders to that area and must have caught one on a tree. It ripped off the holder which is why there is a hole. The frame and body look very nice and are extremely solid. No rust issues at all. Original instrument cluster is there. The rear doors look great. Surface rust only. It is missing original wheels, most of the interior seating, and drivetrain. It did not come with a title which I realize I can register and get one. What do you guys think?

The vin # is 0-FJ25-20634L
What are you thoughts?

Last edited:
Photos.

01515_h5QdwWaGtVF_600x450-1.jpg

00x0x_bKXsLvPx23i_600x450.jpg

20170711_083055.jpg

20170711_082731.jpg

20170711_080826.jpg

Really to bad the drivetrain is gone. Believe the FJ25 had the highest percentage of PTOs installed. Only one of mine had the factory winch but three of the four had the factory PTO. One had just the PTO and the other adapted to a Ramsey PTO winch.
have you checked to see if the axles are original or off a FJ40? The front back spacing will not work with disc brake FJ40 rim. Found that out the hard way when I took a set of disc brake rims with tires up to Oregon to tow #14 back to AZ. Ended up towing it back with the old bias tires on the front. #16 has to have some sort of hybrid axle. 15" drum brake wheel fit but does have the huge FJ25 diffs. The FJ25 front axle has a removable front cover not welded on. Because the diffs were so long the drivelines were shorter.
The harder tops were imported in fewer numbers on the FJ25. That seemed to reverse once the FJ40 started. Hard top parts from the first couple of the FJ40 were the same. In the past we figured the crank window probably started sometime in 62. Missed out on a set of those by minutes back in 94. Sold for $25 a piece. Curious does the left barn door have a pin on the bottom like the right side? My surviving 61 hard top tub has two. My 62 FST tub with barn doors doesn't.

I know. I wish it had the original drive-train. It is very solid. The frame and tub are in great shape. Surface rust only. I think it is worth restoring. I like things original so I am up in the air on this one. I will look at the axles when I get home tonight. I do have early set of fj45 16" factory split rims. I thought about putting those on it. Will they work? Also, are the pto winches different on the early 25's compared to the 1970's fj40's? I thought it looked a bit different, however I have not had a change to compare it to the one for my 1972. I unloaded this and the tubs I bought this morning before work and rushed in a half hour late.

Last edited:
The difference with the winch is the early one only had a single roller on the bottom and later had four roller fairhead with the bars running to the back for support. The fairhead you have is one that Toyota was installing as a solution for single roller. #16 and one of my 61 FJ40s with a PTO winch both had them as well.

Don't part it out. It is way to good to scrap it. Maybe just put a later engine and transmission in it, mount all the body parts and drive it like this, will look good.

Interesting battery location is inside the engine compartment, like later FJ40.

Seems to be a popular mod. One of mine was also like that.

LITP, my 1962's and FJ25 with barn doors all had the double locking pins.

I would vote for not parting it out. Restore it or sell it as a project. These old rigs came in small numbers and we know they didn't all survive, it looks complete enough to build. Just my opinion.

If you decide to part it out I see a few parts I would love to be first in line for.:D

Cool find

LITP, my 1962's and FJ25 with barn doors all had the double locking pins.

My 62 tub is a FST with barn doors and only a single pin on the passenger's side. Not sure if was because it was a soft top model or the time period Toyota did away with the second pin. This was off a frame that was being sold to TLC. It was sold to me as a 63 but it was made in 62 and pre ashtray. As I remember everything on the barn doors bolted on. Footman loops and bracket for the license plate. Only difference on this tub I can find that is different than a 61 was the small gas fill opposed to the large on the 61. At one time I planned to switch my later 61 tub to the early one since that model is FJ40LV and use the FST tub on the later as it's model is FJ40L. Then replace the gas fill to the larger one.

Another nice surprise. The front doors have no rust. I was told they did. They have surface rust only.

20170712_114708.jpg

20170712_114731.jpg

My 62 tub is a FST with barn doors and only a single pin on the passenger's side. Not sure if was because it was a soft top model or the time period Toyota did away with the second pin. This was off a frame that was being sold to TLC. It was sold to me as a 63 but it was made in 62 and pre ashtray. As I remember everything on the barn doors bolted on. Footman loops and bracket for the license plate. Only difference on this tub I can find that is different than a 61 was the small gas fill opposed to the large on the 61. At one time I planned to switch my later 61 tub to the early one since that model is FJ40LV and use the FST tub on the later as it's model is FJ40L. Then replace the gas fill to the larger one.
This one has no pins. Both doors have small plates where they should be. The rear tub has a hole for each door to have a pin.

Gabe, as much as I'd like to talk you into parting it out so I could buy some parts from you, I won't do it. It looks too solid to part out. I would restore it. It's going to take some time to find all the parts you need, but the hunt is the part of this hobby I like most.

Gabe, as much as I'd like to talk you into parting it out so I could buy some parts from you, I won't do it. It looks too solid to part out. I would restore it. It's going to take some time to find all the parts you need, but the hunt is the part of this hobby I like most.
I would have to agree. It is pretty clean. I have too many projects now, so I need another like I need a hole in my head. I just wanted to save this when I saw it.

I will sell it or I will keep it, and shove it in the corner until I have the time for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom