FORUM CLOSING - time to upgrade! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Yes, YES...finally...

On Tuesday evening March 18th, the entire forum will be SHUT DOWN.

Plans right now (subject to change) are to turn off the IH8MUD forum at 10p eastern / 7pm pacific to begin a major software change.

Currently, things run on vBulletin 3.8 - as some of you are aware, this software version hasn't been supported by the developers for a few years, and the newly released versions have been riddled with issues (which is why we aren't upgrading). Additionally, many of the plugins presently used in the forum are no longer supported and broken/outdated.

The NEW software is from a company called XenForo. This software will operate similar to vB 3.8, but has a bunch of new features added. Little things like @username tagging, an Inbox/messaging system that works like threads (with multiple users), responsive design (works seamlessly across desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone size screens), a LIKE button for posts and much more. Even your current username and password should work fine :)

In testing, everything ported over...pm's and subscriptions (now called Watched Threads/Posts) all intact, Avatars intact, etc. A handful of items will NOT be brought in immediately, but there are plugins available for them and will get handled within a few days (iTrader and Albums, for instance).

This has been in planning for a couple of years, and in testing for a couple months. Supporting members have had access for the past couple weeks to the test install, and I've used that feedback to take notes and try and cover/plan for the issues that were brought up.

TIME?

Yes, I don't know...the TEST migration took about 30 hours...BUT, that was done on the live server and the server power was throttled back. But I don't know if running the server full power means it will take 20 minutes or 20 hours. I'm guessing the latter :)

Once the new software is LIVE, a new Q&A section will be at the top...I'll cover the basics in an initial post.

I've got one last week left to be sure it's all set...fingers crossed ;)

Thanks Woody!!

Will the smartphone apps still work?

Last edited:
Good luck & thanks!

I think this is the same software that T4R is using so should be good :)

You should add the word "temporarily" to the notice at the top of the page. Had me worried there for a sec.:eek:

Will the smartphones apps still work?

sadly, they will...not initially, but they will...

But both SUCK....the old forumrunner app has been updated once in two years and doesn't support iOS7 - and the developer doesn't seem to care or respond.

TapaTalk is the current one, and is full of bugs as well. The developer is slow to make fixes and seems to spend more time on useless features.

WORSE, there are only two available options for apps.

I use a mobile browser and it works far better...definitely worth trying once the new setup is done.

You should add the word "temporarily" to the notice at the top of the page. Had me worried there for a sec.:eek:

you wouldn't have read it then ;)

Uh-oh ... Do I see a Mud-care scenario coming? :grinpimp:

DONT DO THAT TO ME WOODY!!!!!

A title like that can give a person a heart attack

Glad to see it is only temporary, would it be worth copying to my hard drive all the posts in my LC 80 thread?

If it all goes a bit Pete Tong I would be covered.

regards

Dave

Glad to see it is only temporary, would it be worth copying to my hard drive all the posts in my LC 80 thread?

We've got a running test (using Dec 2013 data) that has everything in it...plus a 3-day rotating series of database backups on a server in NY, plus 100% of the files on that same server, PLUS another full database/file backup on the local server in Dallas.

I think things are covered :)

Oh crap, my work productivity will actually increase that day.......

i like the @username tagging! such a good idea.

Great news, cant wait to see the new site! ;)

A side note, i also prefer using chrome when i mud around on the site mobile. On Nexus 7 tab, and android phone.
I really wish there was a better app for the forum, would most def donate and buy an app.
I still use the app on the tab, the "new post in subscribed thread" function is great.

cheers and snoballs from Norway

......I use a mobile browser and it works far better...definitely worth trying once the new setup is done.

You're in my world here and I fully support the push. Apps are a perceived need which is very difficult to overcome in life but a standards-compliant HTML-rendered site immediately creates the potential for a multi-platform and multi-browser supported solution (screensize and user-experience inconsistencies between devices (tablets vs. phones vs. laptops/desktops) being the single largest challenge but much easier to overcome via clean HTML).

IF you feel compelled to continue to offer an App for Mud and your search pushes you to look for new vendors, I'd recommend you start ensuring your target consultants/providers are adroit with Xamarin as it is quickly emerging as the standard single development platform supporting both iOS and Android devices......FYI.

I just freaked out a little.. The bulletin at the top of the forum made it look the the forum was closing, for good! Glad to see we're getting up to date with the 21st century ;)

Thanks Woody!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom