FJ80 Crank no Start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My vehicle is a 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but still learning; detailed responses would be greatly appreciated!
About a week ago I sprayed off my engine bay (engine not running) to clean it up. Right upon start up it idled rough and sputtered as if it had sucked up water. I figured out that water had gotten underneath the distributor cap and fixed that issue. But before I found the culprit I was pulling apart other things and unscrewed the screws of death that hold on the AFM harness and pulled it out slightly. I quickly realized my mistake and put it all back together and the truck ran fine afterwards. Few days later I'm going down the road and it hiccups cutting off the motor for a split second but comes back on and continues normal. The next day while driving it cuts off again but wont come back. Turns over but doesn't start. So far I've determined I am getting fuel by pulling off the low pressure line and turning it over to watch it spray fuel. I know I'm not getting spark because there is no arc from the plug to ground. So no spark is the issue. I've cleaned every electrical connection I can reach, thoroughly cleaned underneath dist. cap, replaced dist. rotor, ignition module and replaced fusible links. I pull off the black cover to the AFM and noticed the original contacts were bad or not touching. I re-solder and hook it all up but still not turning over. Should I buy a new/used AFM or continue looking for a different problem?

That's a tricky spot to solder. Make sure the contacts are all indeed making contact with the board. That could easily be your issue as that is what happens when you disco the vfm
It seems the contacts after soldering were still no good. It looks as if the pad underneath the pins got ripped off. Any idea where I may find a used Denso AFM for cheap?

You state it's not turning over.

Is it cranking with no start or not turning over at all?

It turns/cranks over but doesn't actually start.

Check the plug connection at the distributor and all plugs near the intake manifold.

Disconnect them, blow out with compressed air, put back together with dielectric grease around the seals and a little in the connector.

Does the CEL illuminate with the key on but not started?

Check the plug connection at the distributor and all plugs near the intake manifold.

Disconnect them, blow out with compressed air, put back together with dielectric grease around the seals and a little in the connector.

Does the CEL illuminate with the key on but not started?
I've already cleaned out every plug. And no CEL illuminated

If the CEL is not on with the key to run, the bulb is burned out or power is not getting to the ECU. With the key turned to run, is there battery-ish voltage at the B+ term in the diagnostic box?

If the CEL is not on with the key to run, the bulb is burned out or power is not getting to the ECU. With the key turned to run, is there battery-ish voltage at the B+ term in the diagnostic box?
By B+ term in the diagnostic box do you mean the plug on the passenger side against the firewall?

I know its basic but what's the status of your fusible link?

You mentioned that there is damage to the internals of the AFM.
Try unplugging the AFM connector (the right way by pushing up the spring clamp, not by unscrewing the phillips head screws) and see if the CEL illuminates with the key in the ON position. If it comes back on, you have verified the issue.

You mentioned that there is damage to the internals of the AFM.
Try unplugging the AFM connector (the right way by pushing up the spring clamp, not by unscrewing the phillips head screws) and see if the CEL illuminates with the key in the ON position. If it comes back on, you have verified the issue.
With key turned to on with AFM harness unplugged I have CEL. With harness still plugged in I have CEL. What would this indicate?

With key turned to on with AFM harness unplugged I have CEL. With harness still plugged in I have CEL. What would this indicate?
It indicates that you are giving conflicting information with regard to the CEL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom