FJ62 suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I am new to this forum and although I know there are several threads regarding suspension I still have a ton of questions. I am a new owner of a 1989 fj62. It is all stock and the suspension is shot the springs are nearly flat. I am leaning towards a OME kit but wondering which one to get. Right now like I said it is all stock but I do she plans for a bullbar winch in front a rear bumper with tire swing out on rear and a rack up top. I will mostly use it as my DD but plan on taking family trips. Should I get the heavy duty kit since I have plans for lots of weight in the future or stick with medium duty. Also is OME my best bet? The kit from coolcruisers looks good as does the Ironman kit. Can anyone tell me benefits of any kit vs. another? Also with budget being tight, I will probably be buying the kits piece by piece.

Get the heavy. I got the OEM medium kit, and have added leaves to the front, for the extra automatic trans weight. I just finished a rear bumper build, and added leaves to the rear as well. The use of my 89 fj62 is similar to the use you describe, with the exception of daily driving. My goal is level when loaded, with room to move/flex. I'm still amazed at how much water my 2 daughters and wife will go through on a long weekend camping trip...hope this helps.

IMG_2630.JPG
I'm a fan of Terrain Tamer. I have a complete set on my 62. Just ordered a set for my 60. The 60 is in middle of a diesel conversion and will have front ARB/winch and a rear Kaymar swing out bumper.

I strongly recommend the heavy OME. You should like you're really going to load it up and go. If the suspension is too firm, you can always remove one of the leaves. Especially in the front, by the time you have a bullbar, a winch, and dual batteries, that's a lot of extra weight on the front end.

I strongly recommend the heavy OME. You should like you're really going to load it up and go. If the suspension is too firm, you can always remove one of the leaves. Especially in the front, by the time you have a bullbar, a winch, and dual batteries, that's a lot of extra weight on the front end.

X2. Have an OME heavy on my 60 and it's a loaded Cruiser with bullbar, winch, fully loaded cargo area. The total weight is about 5500 lbs. and I would not hesitate to go with OME again.

View attachment 1441321 I'm a fan of Terrain Tamer. I have a complete set on my 62. Just ordered a set for my 60. The 60 is in middle of a diesel conversion and will have front ARB/winch and a rear Kaymar swing out bumper.

First off your truck is gorgeous. Second I have not hear of terrain tamer who sells that. Is it priced around the same as OME? How does it handle on road?

First off your truck is gorgeous. Second I have not hear of terrain tamer who sells that. Is it priced around the same as OME? How does it handle on road?
Cruiser Brothers is importer/distributor for Terrain Tamer in North America - working with selected installing shops and resellers listed here www.cruiserbrothers.com and the full line up can be seen here Suspension Catalogue

We have imported/installed several dozen kits over the last few years to check them out - 40, 60, 70, 80, etc. both lear and coil - and all reports have been positive. We are now stocking them and can suit a range of specialty needs, including models/series not normally stocked in North America by the "competition" such as Prados, 77 Series, "zero lift" kits and extra capacity kits.

Pricing is comparable to OME, but we don't make comparisons on features, quality, ride, etc. since what WE say doesn't matter - what matter is what CUSTOMERS say. One of the parters is Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) - he has installed hundreds of lift kits - including OME and Terrain Tamer. Shoot him a PM or call 650-576-2023. He can help with pricing and the perspective of a veteran installer.

Good luck - hijack over.....:)

upload_2017-4-15_8-34-55.png

I'm going to page @wardharris to chime in on the Terrain Tamer fine details. It's an Australian company that has been around for a while. Just has not had great availability in the US - until now. I'm not sure on the exact pricing because we installed the suspension while we were doing a front end rebuild. It is a very very nice suspension kit. I think the handling is great. My suspension is a little firm but I also just have stock bumpers on the red one. I suspect it's going to be just right one my white one.

I'm going to page @wardharris to chime in on the Terrain Tamer fine details. It's an Australian company that has been around for a while. Just has not had great availability in the US - until now. I'm not sure on the exact pricing because we installed the suspension while we were doing a front end rebuild. It is a very very nice suspension kit. I think the handling is great. My suspension is a little firm but I also just have stock bumpers on the red one. I suspect it's going to be just right one my white one.
Thanks, Boss! :)

Cruiser Brothers is importer/distributor for Terrain Tamer in North America - working with selected installing shops and resellers listed here www.cruiserbrothers.com and the full line up can be seen here Suspension Catalogue

We have imported/installed several dozen kits over the last few years to check them out - 40, 60, 70, 80, etc. both lear and coil - and all reports have been positive. We are now stocking them and can suit a range of specialty needs, including models/series not normally stocked in North America by the "competition" such as Prados, 77 Series, "zero lift" kits and extra capacity kits.

Pricing is comparable to OME, but we don't make comparisons on features, quality, ride, etc. since what WE say doesn't matter - what matter is what CUSTOMERS say. One of the parters is Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) - he has installed hundreds of lift kits - including OME and Terrain Tamer. Shoot him a PM or call 650-576-2023. He can help with pricing and the perspective of a veteran installer.

Good luck - hijack over.....:)

View attachment 1441376
Beat me to the punch. I'm certainly a happy 60 series customer.

There are several high quality Australian suspension packages now available in the US. Everyone has been solely focused on OME for so long but now there is competition and this is great for us. OME, Terrain Tamer, Dobinsons, and Tough Dog.. Im sure others. Keep an open mind and read up on each, especially AUS forums that have had experiences with all of these for much longer than we have. A lot of these leaf springs are manufactured in the same factories, just to different specs. I personally went with the Tough Dog system from @reevesci and I have no doubt I will be very happy with it once I get the cruiser back on its feet.
So the take home message is read up, don't just focus on OME (not knocking it in any way), because we have great options now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom