FJ62 Stumbles on ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am beginning to see a recurring issue during ignition on my 88 FJ 62.

The first start up of the day, the engine stumbles while igniting. It eventually gets there though.

No problems while running at all. Throughout the rest of the day other start ups seem to be fine. May stumble after long periods of rest though.

Would love your thoughts!

Cold start injector plugged? If it's physically blocked (clogged), it wont' show with any diagnostics - it will just start more poorly on a cold day.

How's the weather in SC right now Matt? The cold start injector might be your answer.

Hey Guys, check out my cold start injector. I think this bad boy was the culprit. Here's a before and after shot of it (I cleaned it with some carb cleaner). Starts up good right now, lets see how it does in the morning! Thanks for the tips @cruisermatt @SteveH
IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6743.JPG

Good job! you may have nailed it.

In addition to this, you could always plug the hole in the intake, and have someone try to start the truck and see if fuel shoots out of the CS injector. You'd want to be careful not to shoot gas on flammable/spark-prone surfaces, however. The real 'gunk' may be inside your cold start injector. I have seen them clog with many fewer miles than your truck undoubtedly has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom