FJ62 Power window motors need replacing. Can I use ones from an old 4runner or will they not work? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My passenger window motor died. Cruiser parts has it listed for $75. Could I go to a junkyard and pull one from an old 4runner for cheaper or will it not fit? Any advice appreciated. The window will not roll down and the voltage does not change when I try.

My passenger window motor died. Cruiser parts has it listed for $75. Could I go to a junkyard and pull one from an old 4runner for cheaper or will it not fit? Any advice appreciated. The window will not roll down and the voltage does not change when I try.
Did you ever try the 4runner motors? Thanks

So I just got my hands on a used window motor from a 97-01 Toyota Camry (widely available and cheap used) and it looks almost identical to the FJ62 motor, except for the metal vs plastic gear case. FJ62 motor on the left, Camry on the right. Toyota kept the 3-mounting stud configuration and 7 tooth gear drive pretty much the same for a long time. I still need to make sure it bolts up to the cruiser regulator but I have no doubt it will. The next question is motor strength. I am not sure if they used different motors in the different cars, kinda doubt it, but you never know.
32853618771_6ef6fc8210_b.jpg

Reactions: bam
Ok so I had a little time to fiddle with it. Mounted to a spare regulator I have and when powered easily moved it. I wont have time for a while to actually install one and test it in the door so if someone wants to go for it please do and report back. I have a feeling it will work just fine. So the motors used in the 97-01 camry are used in several other Toyota models I believe and may be similar to the 4-runner. Someone should check ;)
The screws are torx t-25 by the way.
32825296832_ec3e67beee_b.jpg

32165162933_6cfdd008b1_b.jpg

Ok so I had a little time to fiddle with it. Mounted to a spare regulator I have and when powered easily moved it. I wont have time for a while to actually install one and test it in the door so if someone wants to go for it please do and report back. I have a feeling it will work just fine. So the motors used in the 97-01 camry are used in several other Toyota models I believe and may be similar to the 4-runner. Someone should check ;)
The screws are torx t-25 by the way.
32825296832_ec3e67beee_b.jpg

32165162933_6cfdd008b1_b.jpg
OK, so I took the bait. A quick search on ToyotaPartsDeal.com showed the application for Camrys only. They're close to $300 new.

OK, so I took the bait. A quick search on ToyotaPartsDeal.com showed the application for Camrys only. They're close to $300 new.
Right, the part numbers might not be the same as other models but the motors of other similar year Toyotas and older look the same mounting wise and the 7 tooth gear. When I was thinking of these replacements I found this awesome thread in the 80 section that lists a lot of compatible motors with the 80 series. 80 Series Replacement Power Window Motors List
So those other models could work too. Again, someone would have to confirm. I have an old motor from an 80 series coming my way to test out. The electrics for the 62 are largely gone from Toyota as you know, so finding a compatible part opens up a lot of options for replacements: either new toyota, or aftermarket or used. We won't be tied to only used old ones from parted 62s. :)

bump any updates

Did either of these work? I just got a 62 and the driverside front window gave out on me...and its raining...4in open of course

I never got a chance to fully install one of the other motors. Still on the to do list. Too many projects. I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Be the first person to test it out and report back! :)

I think I am going to give it a shot. My window finally decided to work. It was clicking when I flipped the switch to lower it, so I was able to guide it back up by hand. I hope that it is just the motor and not that green relay that everyone talks about. We should start a petition for Toyota to start manufacturing these parts again. Hahahaha

I just installed a window motor for a 1988 Toyota Cressida, Dorman# 742-600 in the driver rear window, Dorman# 742-601 for the right side. Perfect fit. Even came with the right plug! I think all the motors are the same, but the FJ specific motor never got cross referenced. I just ordered three (2 for the right, one more for the left). I'll post if they fit. I greased the regulator, silicon lubed the runs, and I have the fastest fj62 window EVER!

So we are thinking the lefts and rights will do both front and rear doors. Also you answered my wiring/plug question that I asked in your dedicated thread. I want fast windows too!!!

Try hard wiring the motor to 12volts, if it flies up and down, it's the switch. The switch is a pretty crappy design that doesn't allow much current flow. It's worth getting a switch doctor switch for $15, you can also take it apart and clean it up, but someone said the special metal contacts wear out. I would love it if someone could make an OEM looking switch with a whole new contact design.

the truck came with a switch, everything works, on mine. Doors, Windows, and locks, Just the passenger window won't do anything :eyeroll:

Try hard wiring the motor to 12volts, if it flies up and down, it's the switch. The switch is a pretty crappy design that doesn't allow much current flow. It's worth getting a switch doctor switch for $15, you can also take it apart and clean it up, but someone said the special metal contacts wear out. I would love it if someone could make an OEM looking switch with a whole new contact design.

The problem is that for all but the driver window all the power runs through the switches. Relays wired in fix the problem, all laid out in this thread

Excellent write up. I have not had time to peel all the way through it, but if relays are not present that makes sense. I figured that was the problem with the switches as the green box relay only operates the driver window. Relays, gotta wire in some relays!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom