FJ62 Oil Change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

echodeuce

LC Fiend
Threads
I hope this thread doesn't open up a can of worms. I did a search and I could only find a thread about this subject from 2012.

What oil are y'all using during your oil changes? Any old oil filter good to go? Should I use a "high mileage" oil? My FJ62 only has 163K miles. I say "only" because I have a 2002 Tacoma I bought brand new and it just hit 300K and keeps going.

I don't have a 60, but my 80 has the 3F-E like a 62. I just use a good brand of 10W-40, no specialty high mileage stuff. I'm at 363k and going strong.

I use Fuchs Oil. I do a oil and filter change on the first of every month which is 5 too 6000klm for me. I'm currently at 690000klm

it really is a wormcan, too...I use wix filters and 15-40 delo in my older fj62. In the newer 2F, I still use the wix filter, but use a 10-40 blend in summer ans 10-30 in winter. as that motor ages, I'll prolly do the delo in it too. I do add a bit of lucas oil additive in with each change as well...

fj62=7.8 quarts with filter...

I can't believe this thread went 6 posts without the mention of ZDDP.

There is a metric s***-ton of information / misinformation / opinion / bleating of brand name to wade through. I'd suggest you find a good post or three on the subject from FJ40Jim and skim anything else. Keep in mind that the additive load of most oils has changed over the years, so things posted in 2008 about a specific brand likely has little bearing on that same branded oil today. (like when Caterpillar oil still had decent ZDDP levels)

My favorite flavor, for the little it should be worth to anyone else, is Rotella T with a suitable amount of Redline ZDDP additive. Dino in summer, synthetic in winter (-40* here).

Last edited:
:lol: well, I didn't call it out by name...

I can't believe this thread went 6 posts without the mention of ZDDP.

:lol: well, I didn't call it out by name...

Since I added a load after you replied... that should make the context of your reply clearer. Does Lucas have ZDDP in their additive? I tend to think "Energy Drink for Engine Blocks" when I hear Lucas. Most extreem :p

yes, the lucas stuff is what I've found to add some of that zinc back into the mix. it only takes a few ounces at a time- not like I've done the math to figure out the molar constituent ratios, but the fuzzy logic pans out...

I read that 25 page oil thread once. The summary is that there are about as many oil options as there are members of this forum, and all of them are the right choice, or none of them are the right choice... it's like asking what kind of toothpaste everyone uses.

I just use the cheapest 10w40 I can find. Then I just kinda imagine it has ZDDP in it. It probably doesn't, but that's okay... My motor still runs fine. I think a 2F was probably designed to run on maple syrup in a pinch anyway.

I read that 25 page oil thread once. The summary is that there are about as many oil options as there are members of this forum, and all of them are the right choice, or none of them are the right choice... it's like asking what kind of toothpaste everyone uses.

I just use the cheapest 10w40 I can find. Then I just kinda imagine it has ZDDP in it. It probably doesn't, but that's okay... My motor still runs fine. I think a 2F was probably designed to run on maple syrup in a pinch anyway.

and then there is just plain horse sense...@CaptClose FTW!!!

:hillbilly::grinpimp:

This is my toothpaste:

TVnJPyMq-KhoNXF-fM9oJxBF1v5ZZac7Ice9lxg0aYDGqMjwiQ-3lY_ZI9E_u8R8KVDuYQ=s170

ZDDP is a great option to have in an older model vehicle, particularly in california before 1975 due to smog. originally ZDDP was faced out because it damaged catalytic converters. In CA those are pricey. How about using synthetic oil?

I’ve been using mobil 15w50 for the last 10k. No issues and it’s high zinc. I’ve been going 5-6k between changes. 318,000 on my 2F.

9FDC81E8-76BB-4C47-8D11-1785EE300656.jpeg

I have had great luck lately with Costco having the Delo 400 15w40 and 10w30. Something like $38 for 3 gallons which is plenty. Then I add some Risolene (ZDDP) and every other oil change throw a little MMO (Marvel's Mystery Oil) in there as well. Since I have had mine she has only ever run the Delo 400 or Rotella T in those two weights.

With the older motors that have been running high ZDDP oils for a while the cam and lifters have been surface hardened and likely won't be as particular about the oil used. But recent cam regrinds, or new motors will definitely need to be kept an eye on for issues.

When I still had the 2F in my FJ60, I used Fram oil filters and Castrol 20-50 oil. I ran that oil year round. I added ZDDP each oil change.

That was for about 15 years then I had the V8 swap. Then I switched to Fram oil filters and 15-30 oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom