Builds fj62 gets a lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

img_2993-jpg.1348088

Who makes the metal side panels? I was going to build some similar to those, actually already did the outline in CAD, but might be better to buy some. Those look nice.

47291108-d52d-48da-97b2-05c8987d9a09-s.jpg

View High Resolution Photo

img_2993-jpg.1348088

Who makes the metal side panels? I was going to build some similar to those, actually already did the outline in CAD, but might be better to buy some. Those look nice.

47291108-d52d-48da-97b2-05c8987d9a09-s.jpg

View High Resolution Photo

i got them from socalove here on mud. i don't think he's making them now though. i got me n on a limited run before trail tailor started his. just get them from him. his stuff is always well made. i'm not unhappy with mine at all but the stuff jason makes i know will always work well. i took a chance with mine and they are pretty nice in the end. you never know how a limited run will turn out and you don't get a chance at a second run with tweaks made. clearances are a little tight with powder coating on them. tail gate is a little too flexible for my liking so i need to reinforce it. little things like that won't happen with jason's stuff

Featured Products

@reevesci

There are many out there depends on what option style you want.

i got them from socalove here on mud. i don't think he's making them now though. i got me n on a limited run before trail tailor started his. just get them from him. his stuff is always well made. i'm not unhappy with mine at all but the stuff jason makes i know will always work well. i took a chance with mine and they are pretty nice in the end. you never know how a limited run will turn out and you don't get a chance at a second run with tweaks made. clearances are a little tight with powder coating on them. tail gate is a little too flexible for my liking so i need to reinforce it. little things like that won't happen with jason's stuff

Thanks guys. I know some say I over build my products, but I build things to where I'd like them on my own rigs and dependable for years and years.

I have another round of the tailgate lids and the new quarter panels in production. They were supposed to be finished this Friday, but the shop called and had an electrical issue with their transfer laser bed. So, may be another week before I have those for show and tell and sell....

Thanks again,

J

@reevesci, I didn't see any photos of your panels on the link above. Can you point me in the right direction?

The quarter/cargo panels are in production now. You can go to my tailgate lid thread and see CAD pics of what they will be. Or feel free to PM me to review any further question so we don't clog up T's great build thread here.

60 storage tailgate lids and quarter panels

J

well started the electrical clean up. got a 1hdt air cleaner housing i need to make room for.
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG

this is how it started. just in line at s store getting more wire terminals so ill get after pics in a bit. also got an extra cross pipe to modify in an attempt to put in an intercooler. that'll come later.

also fixed my console and started fixing my dash bezel, replaced dash bulbs that are burnt out and started my stereo install. more to come
IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3277.JPG
IMG_3278.JPG

my hinge screws on the lid broke out so i jb welded it back on

stereo brackets fit perfectly.

IMG_3279.JPG
IMG_3280.JPG

there. that's cleaner. now onto trying to wire up a back up camera while waiting for jb weld to cure on my dash bezel
IMG_3281.JPG

next it'll be shaving and sanding the epoxy and the drill holes. so far seems like it'll do a good job. ill let it cure over night though

i also got my stereo working. i hid the microphone wire through the headliner at the sun visor and ran it down inside the trim of the A pillar. i also ran a back up camera RCA to the rear cargo area. ill hook that up later. i also ran all the wires for an amp for when i hook up better speakers. not going for subs and big bass. just high quality door speakers. i drive a lot and like my music. it'll all be hidden though. the car play is a nice feature and i ran a USB to my centre console. the lights on the deck have been adjusted to match the green dash lights. i'm pretty happy with it so far. it's not the vintage charm but it'll be nice to take hands free calls when i'm driving and on call. it's one of the cleaner decks i found. my dash lights are all working again which is nice too!!
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG

i started rewiring the trailer lights tonight. i decided to make a proper removable harness for future maintenance that might be necessary
IMG_3301.JPG

the two tails divide up the 7 wire system. i have delphi weatherproof connectors that i used. they are really quite nice and easy to work with. 4 wires for the standard wiring and three wires for aux, back up lights and electric brakes.

in the next few days ill get on the truck side.

Last edited:
after looking on line for a different clamp they really dont exist so I'm making a bracket to pull 90 degrees to the clamp action. this is what it was designed for so pulling at 45 degrees doesn't let the cam action work. this should work though. I took the hook plate and modified it a little. not perfect but not too bad either. hopefully it'll work
View attachment 907494

it'll sit with the long end against the bumper and the latch arm will fall into the slot on top preventing it from falling off the bottom should things loosen but allowing it to pull straight 90 degrees to the cam. may be confusing but I'll get a picture once I get it mounted

Could i get some more pictures of this latch set up? Exactly what i want to do to mine....love the bumper, not so much the mechanism to get in the hatch. it is secure, but i am very slow taking it apart every time to get in the back.

IMG_3302.JPG

just a mcmastercarr locking latch stainless steel. my bolts are stainless but apparently the washers aren't. holds super well and easy to use. it's a worthwhile upgrade

make sure you put the latch in the same configuration. this way as the gate wants to open it tensions the latch. if you put it with the latch on the other swing out it could open itself because the latch loop pivots and could come undone. make sense?

trailer lights are all hooked up and working well. ill have to put in a trailer brake module back up lights and aux at some point. likely when i hook up my back up camera. i don't need them for now but maybe this spring ill be towing s trailer with brakes.

oh and of course now that i have the dash all out back together a bulb in my speedometer went out:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom