FJ62 Electrical Failure While Driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
4FF20A7D-5114-4EAB-B787-345F25635F6A.png
3D29BF3C-6285-4059-8D88-0B65327A8CF1.jpeg
Im posting this in the hopes that it helps someone out someday.
I was driving down the road and experienced a major electrical malfunction. Radio, headlights, turn signals, power windows, dash gauges all inoperative but the engine still ran fine.
Got home and shut the vehicle off and happily didn’t smell anything burning. Tried to start the vehicle back up but no luck, no clicking, no cranking just silence. Checked all fuses but they were good.
Checking some other systems I found that the parking lights, brake lights and dome light still worked.
Checked battery and it was good and the alternator (OEM Reman) was only three months old.

Looked around the forum for advice, checked the ground wires but they were fine. Didn’t know how to check the fusible link but decided to look into that. While unwrapping the seriously old electrical tape on the wires coming to the battery I found that one of them had corroded off its connection. A quick clean, re solder and some electrical tape and I was good to go.

Photos attached.

Sooo... did cleaning your fusible links up fix your issue?

It did. One of the wires coming out of it had completely disconnected from the battery terminal connection ring.
Also...can’t be certain about this....but my car always needed to be cranked two or three times before it started. I adjusted timing and was about to have my fuel lines and injectors checked. After I cleaned off the wires and re-soldered the broken connection it starts on the first crank.

I carry a brand new Fusible Link in the truck.

Do you have a part number for this, or is it homemade?

Do you have a part number for this, or is it homemade?

I bought my spare about 10 years ago so I don't have any current info on them.

@beno or @Mace may be of better help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom