FJ62 Accelerator cable length (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoping this evolves to a perfect replacement option. I hadn't thought too much about the throttle cable until the one on my '85 bmw snapped recently. Luckily it happened in about as good a spot as it could other than in the driveway (shifting into 5th gear doing 65 down an empty at the time stretch of road close to home), but if it had happened 15 minutes earlier, I would have been doing 80 down the freeway or 5 mph in rush hour morning traffic. Preventative medicine..

Ok guys, we need to find a solution for this and FAQ it.

Brainstorming here, any ideas? FZJ80? 4Runner? Camry?

FJ80 cable looks close but it's also NLA.

Maybe Mr. T isn't trying to take us off the trail, instead trying to get us to think creatively? :(

I forgot about it and my cable is still working. Need to reboot this project.

Me three, my cable seem to get sticky sometime and my idle would be too high. I would have to gas it like a carb car to bring down the idle. Thanks please help us :)

Me three, my cable seem to get sticky sometime and my idle would be too high. I would have to gas it like a carb car to bring down the idle. Thanks please help us :)

This has started happening to me as well lately. Doesn't stick at the throttle when I open it by hand, but will sometimes stick at about 2000 rpm while driving.

Ok, I'm finally at a point where I can spend some time on this. going to try to pull my cable Wednesday night and get some dimensions.

Maarten over at CruiserWorld just made a reproduction throttle cable for the HJ61 12ht engine. I emailed him and asked him about the possibility of making a throttle cable for the 3FE..... I'll report back his response!

That's what happened to me about a month before it stuck. Be careful guys

Damn, that would explain things. I have been thinking that the throttle body valve was sticking or the little plunger thing that slowly lets down that last bit of the return was to blame, but it feels perfect in hand. But the cable actually sticking in the sleeve makes much more sense. I've also had the issue of the pedal sticking when I first hit it. Seems to be a pattern.. I need a solution to this quick it sounds like! Any thoughts on dribbling some thin gun oil down the cable (if possible) to lube it up?

Damn, that would explain things. I have been thinking that the throttle body valve was sticking or the little plunger thing that slowly lets down that last bit of the return was to blame, but it feels perfect in hand. But the cable actually sticking in the sleeve makes much more sense. I've also had the issue of the pedal sticking when I first hit it. Seems to be a pattern.. I need a solution to this quick it sounds like! Any thoughts on dribbling some thin gun oil down the cable (if possible) to lube it up?
Here's what I found with mine, it's not the cable getting stuck in the sleeve. When the cable and sleeve pass through the firewall the cable starts to saw through the sleeve there, eventually cutting through it down to the firewall. Since the firewall is sharp sheet metal, it starts to fray the steel wire, causing it to get stuck and jam itself in there. This was obvious when I pulled out my old cable, wish I would have taken some pics.

Makes sense. Looks like I need to do some investigating at the firewall, thanks for that insight.

Is there a solution to this problem of the FJ62 accelerator cable? Ebay has FJ80 aftermarket accelerator cables available. I was wondering if that would be a close enough fit.

Maarten got back to me about making new FJ62 cables, and he would have to make 500 to make the project viable so that doesn't sound like it will happen. :(

Is there a solution to this problem of the FJ62 accelerator cable? Ebay has FJ80 aftermarket accelerator cables available. I was wondering if that would be a close enough fit.

Direct from pedal to throttle body, I bet the FJ80 cable would work.

Another OEM possibility perhaps - don't some Cruiser diesel applications have a throttle cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom