fj60 Temp gauge pegged on highe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChaserFJ60

Owner of CruiserHead.com
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiserhead.com
whenever i drive my 60 the temp gauge shoots straight past the red, it used to only do it when the car was warmed up but now all the time. ive read the other posts, ive cleaned the terminals, ive checked the thermostat sensor, checked for a bad ground and its none of those. i just replaced the fuel gauge to see if that would do it and it worked. i put the gauge assy. back together, installed it, and the fuel and temp gauges were dead but not the voltage and oil pressure. i tapped the wire plugin and they worked for a minute, but pulsating now, then the temp shot straight up to the red again, and now the "new" fuel gauge doesnt work half the time. what am i missing here??????

I just got back from getting a full tank of gas. Now the gas gauge is pulsing from half to full, and the coolant gauge is reading too low, only going full when the gas gauge reads full....

I cleaned all the terminals, nothing changed, finnaly I turned the voltage regulator screw on the back of the fuel gauge, and after trial and error adjusting it i got it to work again. I have a solid state regulator on hand just in case it happens again. Maybe it just needed a little touching up i dunno

Have you ever hit it with an Infared thermometer?

I added a little motorcycle temp gauge and it works really well. Eased my mind a ton.

Builds - My FJ60 project thread...

7F2162B8-E58B-413F-9E7F-8C7ACE99BDF8.jpeg

I like that temp gauge set up. Just bought one for the 40.
Cheers.

My temp and fuel gauges went crazy high like that randomly.
91A792F7-B01A-4573-A9F2-4BE438CDEC9F.jpeg

I replaced the fuel level sender unit in the back cargo area and my gauges have been good for the last 4000 miles.
A7B72CC2-A40F-43E7-BFCA-199CC2D73E53.jpeg

This was the problem guy right here.
75EAE8E0-CAFA-455B-9E98-96799DCE1530.jpeg

Shiny new part.
F740ED4B-8E2E-4244-832D-857717D00731.jpeg

58D239BA-F4D6-4B0B-ACBB-FF83D5C43CDE.jpeg

15 minutes to install and about $70 for the new part. Easy fix if it works for you!

In the 22 years my family jas owned the truck, the fuel level sender has never been out, if it acts up again thays my next step. But for now my quick fix seems to be doing the trick

ok it didnt work long.... i cleaned the terminals on the fuel sending unit, next step is to install a SSR on the fuel gauge to replace the old mechanical one.

Now the gauge sender is testing bad. Im really all over the place with this. Gonna replace it and post the results

Its the mini voltage regulator on the gas gauge. When they go bad it makes the temp and gas gauge go wacko. A quick search should yield results.

Dyno

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the mini voltage regulator on the gas gauge. When they go bad it makes the temp and gas gauge go wacko. A quick search should yield results.

Dyno

I replaced the fuel guage before and nothing happend. I think i burned the temp sensor out. I did a 2fe conversion and had forgotten to protect the old temp sender wire and it made this little ZZZZPT sound and never worked the same.:flush:

So those gauges use the stock senders or ... ?

They look great, btw... Who is selling ? Did I miss something ? :redface:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom