Fj60 Exhaust Help--Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys.. I have had my 85 FJ60 for about 5 years now...I am lucky enough to be the second owner and the PO did a great job not bastardizing this sweet lady. I am finally in a position to start making some repairs that are needed...with my free time and extra cash..hahah. I am fairly handy but have never done any exhaust work before. (I recently replaced the worn out stock suspension with a SOR Heavy Duty Lift, Shackles, Shocks, everything new...it was a blast. Got the bug now.

I am having fun and need some advice regarding Exhaust issues. I have looked around, but if anyone has a existing thread with images on how to deal with the replacement of the lower exhaust system...It would be great!

The existing exhaust from the down pipe back is trashed....

I purchased a MAF Cat Back exhaust system with new C Convertor..and seem to be having some issues already with what to do.

1. the O2 Sensor port for the new CC is way to long..the old sensor does not even get into the chamber..Any thoughts? Do I need to trim back the port and create a new Flange so the Sensor enters the chamber? also, any tips on gaskets, painting..do's and don'ts? ....Is it good to use silicone sealant with gaskets everywhere but on the CConvertor? Should I remove the Down pipe from Header and replace gasket there too?..(since I am in there) Also, any thoughts about tearing apart the header and repair/replace/Paint/ if needed?

Sorry, Many questions and cannot seem to find the right thread or images that I need to see.

I will be replacing all bolts, gaskets as needed, Hangers..etc.

Need an extra hand if someone can spare the time to point me in the right direction, trying to do as much on my own as possible...having a local cruiser guy help me with the Power steering Box and A.C. Repair after the exhaust...

Any help would be appreciated!

The FJ60 doesn't use an O2 sensor. The original sensor that inserted into the original CAT is a thermo sensor that is used to trigger the emissions computer to bypass the air injection out of the CAT if it gets to hot (to prevent overheating).

Although we all (or a lot of us anyway) enjoy working on our cruisers, exhaust work really is something an exhaust shop should do unless you know what you're doing and have the means to do so.
That's my take on it anyway.

The sensor is not a o2 sensor but a cat temp sensor. No worries on how far it goes into the chamber, you have a much different cat than the factory one. I wouldn't worry about trying to paint it. The only scilcone I use on exhaust is ultra copper and that is only on exhaust manafolds with the gasket on old farm engines, and I tell them that it wont last as long as surfacing the head and manafold. Try looking in the local club for some help. You will have guys that have other than 60 series rigs that may be willing to help. Bring it out to CA in January and I can lend you a hand.

The FJ60 doesn't use an O2 sensor. The original sensor that inserted into the original CAT is a thermo sensor that is used to trigger the emissions computer to bypass the air injection out of the CAT if it gets to hot (to prevent overheating).

Although we all (or a lot of us anyway) enjoy working on our cruisers, exhaust work really is something an exhaust shop should do unless you know what you're doing and have the means to do so.
That's my take on it anyway.

Thanks OutputShaft!...This makes sense now on the Sensor mix up....I think I got it covered now! Much appreciated

The sensor is not a o2 sensor but a cat temp sensor. No worries on how far it goes into the chamber, you have a much different cat than the factory one. I wouldn't worry about trying to paint it. The only scilcone I use on exhaust is ultra copper and that is only on exhaust manafolds with the gasket on old farm engines, and I tell them that it wont last as long as surfacing the head and manafold. Try looking in the local club for some help. You will have guys that have other than 60 series rigs that may be willing to help. Bring it out to CA in January and I can lend you a hand.

Thank you, Cruiserfj45..The extra input is perfect. Yeah, the cat is different than stock....Quick question on that~ the side by side CAT's in photo are NEW on Left and Old on Right...If I replace the new one in the same manner the old was installed...The Flow direction stamp is backwards..Any thoughts?....(was the old one a replace that was done wrong or is the Temp sensor port just in a different location now on the New one? You are viewing the top of CAT's as the Cruiser front and bottom of image is Rear...Hope this makes sense!

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

Don't use sealant anywhere on the exhaust, but do use high-temp anti-seize (lots) on all the fasteners along with new doughnut gaskets at the CAT ends. Get brass nuts if you can find them, for the fasteners.

Don't mess with the downpipe, it's factory stainless steel, but do check for cracks in the welding where it mounts to the underside of exhaust manifold. If cracked, now would be the time to fix it.

GL.

That's not the correct CAT. The used one is not stock, either, but aftermarket Magnaflow. Note the direction of exhaust flow in the new CAT makes the port on the wrong side and forward so you won't have enough lead on the thermosensor.

Don't use sealant anywhere on the exhaust, but do use high-temp anti-seize (lots) on all the fasteners along with new doughnut gaskets at the CAT ends. Get brass nuts if you can find them, for the fasteners.

Don't mess with the downpipe, it's factory stainless steel, but do check for cracks in the welding where it mounts to the underside of exhaust manifold. If cracked, now would be the time to fix it.

GL.
Thanks, Spike Strip!..Much appreciated. I did not want to tear into down pipe if not needed....but curious if you have any thoughts on installing a new Exhaust manifold or Headers??....or just leave them be if the rest of system is replaced?

That's not the correct CAT. The used one is not stock, either, but aftermarket Magnaflow. Note the direction of exhaust flow in the new CAT makes the port on the wrong side and forward so you won't have enough lead on the thermosensor.
That is what I thought too....I purchased it from SOR specifically for this...Did they send the wrong one, or is this as close as I can get?

Just talked to SOR...they reassured me that this is the Correct CAT....The factory just does not care about the Directional Flow STAMP....SOR said to install just as I have it placed and disregard the stamp.. So, theres that...Thanks

I don't know what that CAT is for, though it looks like it will fit if you don't use the Thermosensor, but an exact replacement, like the old one, is available from Magnaflow (Amazon) as the 49-State Federal version. About $200.

I have the CARB version (same thing) on my '85

IMG_3792.JPG

I don't know what that CAT is for, though it looks like it will fit if you don't use the Thermosensor, but an exact replacement, like the old one, is available from Magnaflow (Amazon) as the 49-State Federal version. About $200.

I have the CARB version (same thing) on my '85

View attachment 1164091
Thanks, This helps. Much appreciated. I will let you know how it goes!

Well, I don't want to diss SOR, because I do a lot of business there, and I like the place, but you were just given wrong or incomplete info because they prolly don't want the return.

I may be wrong, and you should prolly check this, but my understanding is CATs with flow arrows are 3-stage and are directional as they work in an order of stages. 2-stage CATs it does not matter.

A quick check on that CAT shows it's a DEC TOY3209 which is listed as fitting 49-State FJ60s. Now I see why SOR sells them, as DEC is just down the street from them.

I would call DEC and verify direction of flow does not matter. DEC

But there's also the matter of how you're going to fasten the thermosensor, unless you cut off the flange on the old cat.

Well, I don't want to diss SOR, because I do a lot of business there, and I like the place, but you were just given wrong or incomplete info because they prolly don't want the return.

I may be wrong, and you should prolly check this, but my understanding is CATs with flow arrows are 3-stage and are directional as they work in an order of stages. 2-stage CATs it does not matter.
Thanks for this info, gotta check it out more I guess.

A quick check on that CAT shows it's a DEC TOY3209 which is listed as fitting 49-State FJ60s. Now I see why SOR sells them, as DEC is just down the street from them.

But there's also the matter of how you're going to fasten the thermosensor, unless you cut off the flange on the old cat.[/QUOTE

Wow, Just saw this post...Thanks for the info, I will call DEC and see what is up. Yeah, I was just gonna cut off Flange and re-attach to new CAT.

Thanks again..you have been super helpful.

But there's also the matter of how you're going to fasten the thermosensor, unless you cut off the flange on the old cat.

Talked to DEC..They re-assured me that the stamp is wrong and does not matter....ok, then why the hell is it there? Right???
He again said it did not matter...so, I will give it a try and see what happens. Now, to deal with the Flange!
Have a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom