Wanted FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 45 Series
Mileage
Hi-

I have FJ45 fever and am desperately trying to find a truck.

I have an LJ70 that I quite like, but my wife (perhaps correctly) argues that it is not justifiable to keep as we build our house.

I need a pickup to haul building materials and I would prefer to trade my turn key LJ70, LHD, California registered truck. It's really a nice vehicle and I wish I could keep it. If I sell the LJ, chances are I will end up with something boring, which I can't deal with.

Ideal spec for me would be a middle eastern FJ45 (LHD). I've had several JDM trucks and am open to RHD though, also.

Engine condition is not a big consideration to me, as I plan to transplant it anyway. I would prefer to not do a lot of body work, but I am OK with mechanical and electrical.

Let me know what you have!

Thanks for looking.

Link to the LJ70 : https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1987-lj70-european-spec.1329583/

There’s 20-40 FJ-45’s for sale in the US currently. Your best bet would be to message each owner personally offering your trade.

But I think you’ll find that once you’ve gotten to the point of selling your 45 you want cash not another truck. However I could be wrong.

I think you’d be better off selling your LJ-70 and having cash on hand to purchase a 45.

Exactly what you referenced you were looking for…if you had the cash on hand.

Here’s a link to reference recent auction prices.

Here’s all the 45’s I find for sale in my perpetual search for the unmolested holy grail patina truck.

Last edited:
There’s 20-40 FJ-45’s for sale in the US currently. Your best bet would be to message each owner personally offering your trade.

But I think you’ll find that once you’ve gotten to the point of selling your 45 you want cash not another truck. However I could be wrong.

I think you’d be better off selling your LJ-70 and having cash on hand to purchase a 45.

Exactly what you referenced you were looking for…if you had the cash on hand.

Here’s a link to reference recent auction prices.

Here’s all the 45’s I find for sale in my perpetual search for the unmolested holy grail patina truck.

This is really useful, thank you.

I have several conversations going, but as you suggest most folks are interested in cash by the time they come to list a truck.

I'm trying to avoid a cash transaction, as the revenue from the sale would be "repurposed" as soon as it hits my shared checking account with my partner.

Will keep chipping away!

Cheers

In case you didn’t know, these trucks are quite shy on legroom. So, if over 6’ beware!

In case you didn’t know, these trucks are quite shy on legroom. So, if over 6’ beware!
Interesting, thanks for the intel. I'm 6'0" so hopefully wouldn't be a big issue. My '78 was comfy at the furthest back position on the rails.

Interesting, thanks for the intel. I'm 6'0" so hopefully wouldn't be a big issue. My '78 was comfy at the furthest back position on the rails.

‘78 FJ-45 or FJ-40? There’s substantially more room in the 40 to adjust the seat back since there’s no rear wall interference. Or to modify/extend the adjustment track to allow the seat to go back further. This can essentially only be done in the 45 series by stretching the cab.

The 3 US Spec models (‘63-‘67) LWB RHT and SWB RHT models have more room than the SWB FHT. At 6’2” 215lbs I have both (LWB RHT & SWB FHT) and the SWB FHT is definitely tight.

LWB (long wheel base)
SWB (short wheel base)
RHT (removable hard top)
FHT (fixed hard top)

I don’t know your timeframe or desire to take on a build (you mention replacing the engine) but with your proximity to the ocean…

Last edited:
‘78 FJ-45 or FJ-40? There’s substantially more room in the 40 to adjust the seat back since there’s no rear wall interference. Or to modify/extend the adjustment track to allow the seat to go back further. This can essentially only be done in the 45 series by stretching the cab.

The 3 US Spec models (‘63-‘67) LWB RHT and SWB RHT models have more room than the SWB FHT. At 6’2” 215lbs I have both (LWB RHT & SWB FHT) and the SWB FHT is definitely tight.

LWB (long wheel base)
SWB (short wheel base)
RHT (removable hard top)
FHT (fixed hard top)

I don’t know your timeframe or desire to take on a build (you mention replacing the engine) but with your proximity to the ocean…

My first Land Cruiser was a '78 BJ40, so it did in fact have more room for seat adjustment.

Thanks for the intel on FHT/RHT lingo--I was not familiar with that distinction. LWB, SWB I have been able to parse after reading other ads.

I am open to a project, yes. The less patient side of me wants something that I can use immediately, but my longer term goal is to have a nice looking truck that I can use for years to come.

I mentioned engine swap as I have had this vision of electrifying a 40 series for several years. I've done a Porsche 914 and a VW Golf GTI. Both were interesting learning processes and the Porsche actually became a very nice vehicle to drive. For a 40 series, I envision retaining the transmission and t-case and creating a custom adapter plate that mates the B-face of a Leaf motor to the bell housing of the H-42/H-55F. The Leaf EV conversion community is great. Lots of open source tools and designs that allow for easy harvesting of all of the components from a production Leaf and transplantation into a more desirable vehicle.

With that eventual vision in mind, I am less picky regarding engine condition (or presence, I suppose) than I would be for other factors such as body condition. I really like electrical work, mechanical work, fabrication and machining, I less experienced with body work. I've long eyed the Aqualu body components! Certainly a great way to go if rust is irreparable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom