Fj40-runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I realize this probably belongs in the hard-core section but that doesn't seem to be a high traffic area and my original reasoning for this ATTEMPTED build is to make a cushy comfy daily driver. I love the look of 40's but even the most well sorted ones are rude and crude and I just don't fit in them comfortably.
I have an auction fresh lightly rolled 2000 4runner limited with the rear locker, 3.4 and auto that was supposed to be our gambler 500 rig this year. In the other corner I have a 71 fj40 that was someone's old rusted wheeler. Just a tub, hashed cage and front clip.
This build is unorthodox but I've always wanted to try it. A couple years ago i built a 50 chevy truck on a s10 frame for a customer and I just loved the way it came out. Now here's the kicker... keep the 4runner firewall and floor as that's where all the wiring and controls are. Cut the floor out of the 40 and drop it on. It may not work, it may look horrible, but I gotta try!
20200309_104121.jpg

20200310_144528.jpg

20200922_125853.jpg

I realize this probably belongs in the hard-core section but that doesn't seem to be a high traffic area and my original reasoning for this ATTEMPTED build is to make a cushy comfy daily driver. I love the look of 40's but even the most well sorted ones are rude and crude and I just don't fit in them comfortably.
I have an auction fresh lightly rolled 2000 4runner limited with the rear locker, 3.4 and auto that was supposed to be our gambler 500 rig this year. In the other corner I have a 71 fj40 that was someone's old rusted wheeler. Just a tub, hashed cage and front clip.
This build is unorthodox but I've always wanted to try it. A couple years ago i built a 50 chevy truck on a s10 frame for a customer and I just loved the way it came out. Now here's the kicker... keep the 4runner firewall and floor as that's where all the wiring and controls are. Cut the floor out of the 40 and drop it on. It may not work, it may look horrible, but I gotta try!

Interesting!

Oh boy, gotta follow this one. Sounds like a worthy project.

This has been done before if you search google. Because the ifs front suspension is set back so far from the front of the frame the tires sit back about 6" or so from center line of a front fj40 fender. Basically it looks like a fj40 with a damaged frame or suspension. I would just put a soft top on the 4runner body and have a topless 3rd gen 4runner. Would look pretty cool.

Thought about the wheel to fender ratio. Worse case scenario I unbolt the body of the 4runner off the frame and move it back. Its not worth doing if its that far off.

Because the ifs front suspension is set back so far from the front of the frame the tires sit back about 6" or so from center line of a front fj40 fender. Basically it looks like a fj40 with a damaged frame or suspension.
⬆️This! It would look very stupid. Like this one on FJ Cruiser’s frame:
1601676724468.jpeg

After a lot of cutting and beer drinking here are the takeaways from this. The fj40 has super awkward proportions! In order to make any kind of stock appearance with the front fenders intact you would need to move the firewall / body on the 4runner back approximately 10". Then you would need to move the engine/ trans back accordingly in order to get the hood and bib to line up. The problem then is the engine is a front sump oil pan, so it would interfere with the IFS. The solution could be a rear sump oil pan which might give you the clearance for the IFS or a solid axle swap would definitely work as the final solution.
Since this is just a wheeler I will be moving the 4runner body back 10" and then pie cutting and extending the fj40 hood to meet the bib in a convenient location and not run any front fenders.
Sure you could swap this drivetrain into an fj40 frame but then you still have all the drawbacks of an archaic short wheelbase vehicle that i was trying to avoid. I'm not building a hard-core wheeler, just a reliable comfortable light wheeler driver.

20201005_123259.jpg

20201006_104348.jpg

Decided to take a quick break from building the White this week and get some done on the 4runner.
I cut and moved the cowl of the 4runner back 8". Not quite enough but getting there, I'll need to remove at least another 4-6" strip. Got the 40 cowl sitting down in a more reasonable spot. Probably won't run fenders or the aprons although we'll see how the fender to tire ratio looks after some more cutting.
20201221_135318.jpg

20201221_143242.jpg

20201221_161144.jpg

20201221_161157.jpg

20201222_110531.jpg

Please don’t leave the front axle in that position!

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I took out another 4" from under the seats and moved the cowl back accordingly. We now have sectioned the 4runner 12". I'm at the point where I can't take anymore from that direction... but check this out! If I wasn't running fenders I think we are getting close! Ignore the hood at the front. Got some crazy plans up front. Do we think this is an acceptable front wheel placement?
20201223_110955.jpg

don't stop now!! Merry Christmas

This could be good :popcorn: 🥃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom