FJ40 Rear Disc conversion - using late model Toyota parts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely interested. And at ~$425 I think it's reasonable. Sounds like I can choose to get OEM calipers/rotors/pads or go Autozone variants. I dig it. I'm 100% fine with keeping the parking brake at the T case. Seems like a simpler conversion anyway for :banana: to :banana: :banana: hobbyists like me.

I want to do a 4 corner disc brake upgrade as soon as possible, which for me is probably is either before June 1 or after the summer around Nov 1. I want to drive the truck over the summer and not be held back by a project.

My vote is for the parking brake at the rear wheels. But, I'm a little bias, since I have a split case with no parking brake... If the parking brakes at the rear wheels, I'll take one!

My vote is for the parking brake at the rear wheels. But, I'm a little bias, since I have a split case with no parking brake... If the parking brakes at the rear wheels, I'll take one!

As long as it is made to work with your 60 series rear axle...because the adapter required to work on pre-08/08 rear semi-float rear axles will not be the same as the one required to work with the 08/80 and later Land Cruiser semi-float rear axle.

:meh:

As long as it is made to work with your 60 series rear axle...because the adapter required to work on pre-08/08 rear semi-float rear axles will not be the same as the one required to work with the 08/80 and later Land Cruiser semi-float rear axle.

:meh:

I was wondering if they were the same or not. Thank you for clarifying that.

Honestly, I'd do the upgrades and keep both parking brakes. Add the floor mounted lever from any later model Toyota truck - drum rear brakes don't work very well on hills and are known to want to roll backwards easily due to their shoe design/orientation. Set both brakes - it's not going anywhere and could also stump a thief pretty well..

Sarge

Absolutely interested. And at ~$425 I think it's reasonable. Sounds like I can choose to get OEM calipers/rotors/pads or go Autozone variants. I dig it. I'm 100% fine with keeping the parking brake at the T case. Seems like a simpler conversion anyway for :banana: to :banana: :banana: hobbyists like me.

I want to do a 4 corner disc brake upgrade as soon as possible, which for me is probably is either before June 1 or after the summer around Nov 1. I want to drive the truck over the summer and not be held back by a project.

I was thinking that it made sense to offer both variants. The backing plate differences would be reasonably minor, so he could offer a full kit with cables, etc..., or just the disc conversion. Those two options are offered for the Tundra rear disc conversion.

Do we think the Sequoia brakes will fit under 15" OEM wheels?

I'm not sure, but I'd bet it's doubtful. Smallest stock wheel on the Sequoia is a 16". When I get mine set up, I'd be glad to try and fit a 15" wheel on. I'll just need to borrow one from another FJ40 owner.

Last edited:
Just about to start a rebuild on the rear axle (1980) & would like to go disks while it's out. Let me know when you get something ready.

Just about to start a rebuild on the rear axle (1980) & would like to go disks while it's out. Let me know when you get something ready.

We've got the initial prototype brackets done. Working on the park brake cable mounting now. We're planning to utilize the stock cable for the T-case mounted drum, and incorporate a torque multiplier bellcrank mounted to the underside of the tub.

I've got a design in my head,, but shoulder surgery to repair a ruptured biceps tendon and torn rotator cuff has put a bit of a delay into the project.....I'm down until early to mid June.

If you'd like to keep the stock park brake, the brackets are the 90% the same.....you just wouldn't need to purchase the park brake internals. Heck, with the brackets that I've helped design, you could always add the park brake to the rear wheels later....

PM me your contact info, and I'll give you a call.....

I had forgotten about this. Let me know what measurements you need.

No worries.....I've been out of commission for the past 6 weeks. Had shoulder surgery, and just recently got back to where I can use my arm for anything more than decoration. LOL

We've got the axle portion pretty much squared away. Maybe a couple of little tweaks on some hole sizes to allow for powder coat thickness, but mostly finished.

Now I need to design and fabricate a mounting bracket for the park brake bell crank under the tub. Since we're using a hand lever to operate a park brake originally designed for a foot pedal, we're going to use the intermediate mounting point as a torque multiplier.

Once I can get that figured out, we can determine correct cable sizes, and button everything up.

Sub'd. I hate the drum on my H55F.

Really? Unsatisfactory performance as a parking brake. Tell me more. I just bought the kit to add the drum to the TC on my H55F

I may be interested in purchasing all of your transfer case parking brake pieces parts. PM me if interested!

I may be interested in purchasing all of your transfer case parking brake pieces parts. PM me if interested!

@Stubby How is the recovery going? I have been in contact with SOS partly to see if he can also make a backing plate fit the fj60's. Or incorporate this one to be dual purpose. I got some measurements for him last night I will be sending him today. How did you figure on mounting the cable bracket, on the side of the frame or the bottom of the tub?

I will take 2 kits now if ready ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom