FJ40 Rear Disc conversion - using late model Toyota parts. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Stubby How is the recovery going? I have been in contact with SOS partly to see if he can also make a backing plate fit the fj60's. Or incorporate this one to be dual purpose. I got some measurements for him last night I will be sending him today. How did you figure on mounting the cable bracket, on the side of the frame or the bottom of the tub?

Bottom of the tub.....

Recovery is going well. My shoulder hurts, but is usable.

I got under my 40 last weekend, and came up with a mounting idea, but I haven't had time to work on it this week. I'm planning to work on it more this weekend, and hopefully put something together that I can send down to Tom for him to refine, and cut out on the water jet.

PM me your phone #, and I'll give you a call to talk more about it.

Will this be for a semi float axle?
Looking for full float kit myself

I'm working on the semi-float axle. I don't have access to a full floater.

If the backing plate and drum are interchangeable between the two axles, the kit should bolt up to either. It uses the 4 drum backing plate mounting holes, and sits against the the back side of the axle tube end plate.

Any progress on this kit?

Yes, albeit slower than what I hoped for. I had shoulder surgery back in April, which put things on hold for a few months. There were also some family related issues that greatly limited the amount of time I had to work on it.

Over the past couple of weeks, I finished fab work on a prototype mounting bracket assembly, determined cable lengths & attaching methods, and sent everything down to Tom at SOS performance. He's going to take my prototype mounting bracket, design up the production version, and send the parts back to me for fit up.

We've already worked through the fit up tweaks on the caliper and park brake mounting brackets for the axle ends. Once I get the parts back, and do the final fit up, there should only be a couple of minor things left....mainly fabbing up a simple mounting bracket to attach to the front mount of the rear leaf spring, to secure the loose section of the cables, and bending up some brake lines to fit the new calipers.

I was able to achieve my goal of being able to use the stock FJ40 park brake cable, so that this kit could be installed with as many stock components as possible.

I've also suggested that SOS Performance offer this kit with and without the Sequoia park brake components, for the folks that like the stock FJ40 T-case mounted brake. In that scenario, you'll just need a Sequoia rotor, caliper, and caliper mounting bracket.

This is interesting, but I'd be interested to hear how it's an improvement over the Monte Carlo set-up (which can be done for a fraction of the proposed cost of this bracket/cable kit)

I am sure there is a thread on MUD somewhere, but.....has anyone swapped in "modern" components for the OEM disc front brakes?

Newer 4Runner callipers are a direct bolt on. Clearance to rim requires a spacer or grinding.

An 80 series Booster and Disc Master likely makes a bigger difference than different callipers. Most have reported only a minor improvement over stock calipers whereas the 80 Booster/Master increased braking a ton... almost too much.

I can remember standing on the brake pedal with 2 feet and wanting more with drum brakes. Now I can apply more than enough force with my big toe.

BTW, after a water crossing drum brakes don’t work... sometimes not even a little bit. Coming back down a hill climb with NO brakes can be really exciting and the pucker factor gets really high with only steering input :D

Last edited:
This is interesting, but I'd be interested to hear how it's an improvement over the Monte Carlo set-up (which can be done for a fraction of the proposed cost of this bracket/cable kit)

I never said it was an improvement over the Monte Carlo calipers....although, it probably is. I don't know, and I haven't tested it.

I simply wanted a rear disc conversion that used Toyota parts. Now there is another option for people to choose from.

Any update if you can use 15 " stock wheels??

I don't know, to be honest. I was planning to go with 17" wheels on my resto-mod, but I have a stock steelie wheel that I can test fit. I'll post up a picture, and some clearance dimensions....

I am sure there is a thread on MUD somewhere, but.....has anyone swapped in "modern" components for the OEM disc front brakes?

I've got a 79 front axle that I'm planning to use. The goal at the moment is to just get discs on all 4 wheels, but I'll likely work with SOS Performance to produce a caliper mounting bracket that will allow use of the first-gen Tundra / Sequoia front calipers and/or rotors. That way, both ends use the brake components from the same vehicle, and they're modern Toyota parts.

I don't know, to be honest. I was planning to go with 17" wheels on my resto-mod, but I have a stock steelie wheel that I can test fit. I'll post up a picture, and some clearance dimensions....

I've got a 79 front axle that I'm planning to use. The goal at the moment is to just get discs on all 4 wheels, but I'll likely work with SOS Performance to produce a caliper mounting bracket that will allow use of the first-gen Tundra / Sequoia front calipers and/or rotors. That way, both ends use the brake components from the same vehicle, and they're modern Toyota parts.

Looks like a bracket is available

Tacoma and 4Runner Brake Mounting Kit

More info on calipers that fit about 1/2 through this thread

FZJ80 rear axle upgrade

Any ETA? I jut installed my rear axles last night on the plan to install the monte carlo rears with brackets so left my backing plates. I sure dont look forward to pulling my rear axles out of the locker again, but better now than later...vote for e brake on the tcase.

Any ETA? I jut installed my rear axles last night on the plan to install the monte carlo rears with brackets so left my backing plates. I sure dont look forward to pulling my rear axles out of the locker again, but better now than later...vote for e brake on the tcase.

Honestly, I don't know. While the SOS Performance shop didn't sustain much damage from Hurricane Michael, Tom Watt's house was pretty much demolished (like roof and attached structure blown completely off type of demolished).

When we talked on the phone to go over the prototype mount that I sent down, I told him not to rush. Getting the business back up to 100%, and making sure he, and his family had a place to live is #1 priority, and way more important that anything he's working on for me.

Like I said though, the caliper mounting plates are basically done. If you're keeping the T-case park brake, you could get the disc conversion only parts now.

I'm planning to talk to him tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll ask if he would be willing to put those parts up on the site now.

Honestly, I don't know. While the SOS Performance shop didn't sustain much damage from Hurricane Michael, Tom Watt's house was pretty much demolished (like roof and attached structure blown completely off type of demolished).

When we talked on the phone to go over the prototype mount that I sent down, I told him not to rush. Getting the business back up to 100%, and making sure he, and his family had a place to live is #1 priority, and way more important that anything he's working on for me.

Like I said though, the caliper mounting plates are basically done. If you're keeping the T-case park brake, you could get the disc conversion only parts now.

I'm planning to talk to him tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll ask if he would be willing to put those parts up on the site now.
Please include very detailed instructions for us 1 banana dummies.

Define "soon".....LOL

You have the floor mounted park brake lever, correct? If you don't mind, PM me your contact info. We can compare dimensions between the floor mounted, and dash mounted lever. Tom may want to contact you for some measurements....

How about we use this thread as an informal "pre-order" roster for Tom to go by when he's deciding how many parts to do for the first production run? I know it's nothing firm, but it might give an indication of how much interest the kit would generate. :)

Count Me In !

**EDIT**
I spoke to Tom about the kit, and while the brake parts are similar in appearance to the Power Stop kit, it was put together by SOS with Stop Tech components. Good quality stuff....

For anyone who intends to keep the T-Case mounted park brake, the rear disc conversion only kit is up on the SOS Performance site.

TR.PS2.FJ6 REAR DISC CONVERSION fits FJ-40

Tom went the route of packaging a turn key kit, using what appears to be either the Power Stop Z23 Evolution kit (KC2405), or something similar.
The FJ40 conversion has new disc brake brackets, calipers, caliper mounting brackets, hoses, hardware, rotors, etc..... This is much easier than folks having to pull first-gen Sequoia parts from a salvage yard.

Here's a link to the Power Stop caliper/rotor/pad kit....https://www.powerstop.com/?s=KC2405.

The Power Stop kit is $330-$375, with no hardware or hoses. For comparison, I was charged $250 at my local LKQ for LH and RH Sequoia rear brake assemblies when I did my Tundra, and I had to rebuild both calipers. The price for the 40 disc conversion is rather nice, compared to sourcing everything individually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom