FJ40 owners- do you have a bikini top? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hello! I am looking for a soft top for my 73 fj40. I have been considering the Bestop bikini top. If you have the Bestop brand, I have a question. Do I need to screw anything into my windshield frame? Or can I use the pre-existing holes from the hardtop?

And if you don't have Bestop brand, what do you have? And do you recommend it?

Thanks in advance, guys! :)

I have yet to see a bikini top that you didn't need to drill holes for the mounting.

Home fabricated sunshade---yep, lots of holes.
Sunshade.jpg

You can use the pre-existing holes from the hard top.
You'll need to get a pair of top rails (2nd picture), about $20, to bolt to the top of the windshield frame.
If I remember correctly I needed to drill a few new holes in the rails but no new holes in the truck.

This is a temporary top I made as a place holder while I am working on the hard top, (temporary is now over a year).

The frame is 3/4" EMT and the top is the middle section of a Jeep TJ Wrangler Bestop frameless soft top.
My son is running the hard top on his Jeep and hasn't missed it yet.
Hey, if he left it in my garage, it's fair game.

20160911_101252.jpg

th32HYJA9A.jpg

Yes used existing holes on top of my windshield frame, also running Bestop bikini. FWIW these top really are sketchy at highway speeds and seem like they could come off-slow stuff around town and trails it is excellent though.

Yes used existing holes on top of my windshield frame, also running Bestop bikini. FWIW these top really are sketchy at highway speeds and seem like they could come off-slow stuff around town and trails it is excellent though.

Ive never had an issue with mine on the interstate , just make sure its snugged down and you should be fine

Even with it snugged down it balloons up big time on mine.

Hello! I am looking for a soft top for my 73 fj40. I have been considering the Bestop bikini top. If you have the Bestop brand, I have a question. Do I need to screw anything into my windshield frame? Or can I use the pre-existing holes from the hardtop?

And if you don't have Bestop brand, what do you have? And do you recommend it?

Thanks in advance, guys! :)
Hello, wanted to give my opinion. Bought factory softtop Fj40 40 some years ago and have had a few tops. I'm currently running a Specialty Top bikini that is more like boat type material not vinyl. This also does not use snap at front corners so no drilling. The windshield top where the retaining rail mounts has a set of 6mm threaded holes if channel doesn't line up simply drill the channel not your windshield. I replaced my windshield due to all the cutting I did mounting soft tops, bikini tops and soft doors and the 50 extra hole I drilled. The Specialty bikini top has been on for 6 years from March to November (so cal) so it is very durable and much better looking than black vinyl IMO.

You can use the pre-existing holes from the hard top.
You'll need to get a pair of top rails (2nd picture), about $20, to bolt to the top of the windshield frame.
If I remember correctly I needed to drill a few new holes in the rails but no new holes in the truck.

This is a temporary top I made as a place holder while I am working on the hard top, (temporary is now over a year).

The frame is 3/4" EMT and the top is the middle section of a Jeep TJ Wrangler Bestop frameless soft top.
My son is running the hard top on his Jeep and hasn't missed it yet.
Hey, if he left it in my garage, it's fair game.

View attachment 1510048

View attachment 1510049

My biggest issue with the aftermarket two bracket for the windshield is the do not use existing holes already there instead they want you to drill new holes. I could possibly see one each since unlike a full soft top that the vinyl/canvas is supported above the door opening it just flaps in the breeze. But in the center a small notch and used a washer to hold down each side. Problem is these were designed for jeeps and modify to work on a FJ40. Over the years while collecting parts I've acquired a few of the aftermarket brackets. If I were to use them I would drill those to match the windshield not vise versa.

My '74 has 3 factory threaded holes on the top. I did have to drill the piece that attaches to the windshield frame so it would line up. No issues on the highway either. I have 3 (PO provided) and the best top is my least favorite (first pic). The Spector Off-road (second pic) would be my choice.

IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_6028.PNG

apeterson and Flatlanderfj40....Those pics are proof that there is no 4WD TUV (Tough Utility Vehicle) that is more Gnarley than a Land Cruiser FJ40. BTY there Flatlander, there is indeed some good 4 wheeling in Kansas! Back in '71 and '72 Me and my High school buddy Hedges, in our '71 LC's, around Andover Ks, used to go up and down the I35 Turnpike overpass hills out in the country, Up and down the sides. Then to impress our girlfriends we would go backwards up them... of course in low range and they would scream in delight and Hang on Tight! No problem going up those severe angles with our Armstrong Norseman tires....Yes we found plenty of places to take our 40's...The Big Ditch in Wichita..very sandy you had to keep your momentum or sink in the sand. OK, enough. Sorry off subject...But I have two SOR Bikini Tops..Very long lasting and high quality.

Last edited:
new fan 444.jpg
This SOR Bikini top with sunroof I bought in about '06 still totally solid, used until last year here in Florida, Safari top with the net sunroof.Before my rehab. The other new, sans sunroof, same material after my rehab.

new fan 316.jpg

For sure, been using one for years. I drilled new holes pretty sure my oem holes had no threads in them. Also I am using the old aluminum channel they seem to work better than the plastic keep ones. I've never had an issue on the highway either

,,,only pic I could find real quick like

image.jpeg

Best top for me also. Meh whats 4 extra holes. I put a shot of silicone in each before screwing in

I always run a bikini top when my hard top is off. One from Spector Off Road came with my 40 and is still serviceable after 9+ years, though it's starting to wear where it rubs on the roll cage.

I got tired of the wind pulling on it and vibrating the windshield and rear-view mirror, so I screwed the front channel onto the front spreader bar of my MetalTech roll cage instead. Now I can see what's in the mirror, and as an added plus I can drop the windshield on a trail and still leave the bikini top on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom