Builds Fj40 One Ton Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll get some better pics. I boxed the frame in with 3/16 plate. Welded a 1/4" plate along the bottom for the buggy springs to rest on.

Basically, I just welded two pieces of 1/4" flat bar on each side of the spring. The flat bar extends down a few inches and has a 1/2" hole in each one.

I run a bolt through the holes under the spring to keep it from drooping.

I'll get some pics and post sometime this week. Just haven't bothered with it lately. Haven't gotten alot of feedback from the pics.

J.R.
rear spring.jpg
welding.jpg

2badfjs said:
JR, could you post up some pics of the rear spring set-up?
i'm kinda think'n(there i go again) bout doin the buggy spring set-up like yours
was also wondering if you are able to keep that spring from dropping,say when going down hill,so the rear end doesnt pull up on ya...

thanx
jim

Its called a limiting strap. ;)

bustanutley said:
Its called a limiting strap. ;)

i dont think you understand the theroy zak.
a limiting strap limits your full drop.
a buggie set up is kinda like revolver shackles, you dont want them to open up on you when your going down hill,or your back end will jack up on you. hence,endo!
you want to be able to pin the buggie spring in place so it doesnt do this.

limit strap has nothing to do with this set up.

thanx J.R.
jim

Bad, you missunderstand..
A single limit strap in the middle of the axle will not limit articulation.. But it will limit the droop from both sides (like coming down a hill)

I run one, woody runs one.. They work great..

THat being said. I typically do not like buggy leaves.. I see no reason for them or revolver shackles for that matter. But there are those that really like them.

To each his own

2badfjs said:
i dont think you understand the theroy zak.
a limiting strap limits your full drop.
a buggie set up is kinda like revolver shackles, you dont want them to open up on you when your going down hill,or your back end will jack up on you. hence,endo!
you want to be able to pin the buggie spring in place so it doesnt do this.

limit strap has nothing to do with this set up.

thanx J.R.
jim

woo woo woo, take it easy.

A properly sized limiting strap at the center of the axle dose not limit droop, but does stop the axle from unloading going down hills. Generally speakin limiting strap should be sized so there is 2-3" down travel at the center of the axle, this will not effect droop. I do understand the theory very well. Opening up is always a bad thing, limiting straps are good. Just ask woody, grog, mace, or any other hard wheeler. Once I get my act together I will have straps on both axles, even though I only have a SO, it will keep my front from walking forward when going up a steep incline. I"m just not motivated enough

bustanutley said:
woo woo woo, take it easy.

A properly sized limiting strap at the center of the axle dose not limit droop, but does stop the axle from unloading going down hills. Generally speakin limiting strap should be sized so there is 2-3" down travel at the center of the axle, this will not effect droop. I do understand the theory very well. Opening up is always a bad thing, limiting straps are good.

I WASNT GETTIN ON YA ZAK,
just pointing something out !

i really dont see a need for limit straps while wheelin, maybe in the front,but not really.

Limit Strap

I don't know anything about the limit strap. Will worry about that when the time comes. Have never seen one so I don't know how they work.

Does it make sense about the bolt that the keeps the spring from drooping?

J.R.

2badfjs said:
I WASNT GETTIN ON YA ZAK,
just pointing something out !

i really dont see a need for limit straps while wheelin, maybe in the front,but not really.

don't worry bout it, I was just trying to be funny. :)

but let me know when you endo with your buggy leafs and no limit strap ;)

in more extreme situations you will see the need ;)

JRFJ4- said:
I don't know anything about the limit strap. Will worry about that when the time comes. Have never seen one so I don't know how they work.

Does it make sense about the bolt that the keeps the spring from drooping?

J.R.

It is simply a strap that is connected to the center of your axle and spans to your frame, more vertical is better. It keeps your suspention from unloading. Some people just use a chain or cable, but you can get bling ones that are made out of like a seat belt material, not that expensive.

like $14 from a buggy shop

Additionally, they can help vehicles with lots of AS keep the rear end from hopping

Long time no post.

Well, ran out of time and didn't make my Grey Rock ride Oct 7th.

Had everthing going, but had to replace steering sector and power steering pump last minute. Also, alternator went bad while sitting, don't understand that. Went without much sleep for about three days.

Installed spring loaded needle and seat, but still have problems flooding. I think I have a fuel pressure problem.

Honestly, just tired of working on it right now. But, I'm welding up the 14 bolt and have cage gusseted. I realize I'm no welder.

Have drove it on the road several times. Highly recommend homemade redneck ram. Drives good 55-60 mph. 70 was quite blurry from vibration of worn out tires. Tires missing chunks the size of golf balls.

Transmission needs 2nd gear sychronizer. Other than that, I'm happy as a pig in slop with the hole project. It's big, loud and obnoxious and I did it all myself. I've got plenty of pics to post, just can't do it at work anymore. Booooo. Also can't get high speed internet at home.

J.R.

Yep

750 Edelbrock Performer.

J.R.

I have the same issues with a Edelbrock 600 on a 283 and have been told a fuel pressure regulator at around 4 PSI should fix it.

JRFJ4- said:
I'll get some better pics. I boxed the frame in with 3/16 plate. Welded a 1/4" plate along the bottom for the buggy springs to rest on.

Basically, I just welded two pieces of 1/4" flat bar on each side of the spring. The flat bar extends down a few inches and has a 1/2" hole in each one.

I run a bolt through the holes under the spring to keep it from drooping.

I'll get some pics and post sometime this week. Just haven't bothered with it lately. Haven't gotten alot of feedback from the pics.

J.R.

i like the idea, what did the leafs come off of? or did you buy them from some where?

Factory FJ40 springs for the buggies

Now that I have the truck running, I need to get my ladder bar installed. Springs try to open up while accelerating and it causes truck to hop while climbing. Other than the hopping, I like the buggies.

I've got a ton of pics to post, I just haven't got around to it. Lost interest after I missed the ride I was trying to get finished for.

Got my 14 bolt welded up and put back together. The turning radius is about one mile now, but it's got traction.

Had to lengthen slave cylinder push rod. It kept pushing the piston all the way out of the cylinder.

Welded up my transmission shifter. It had alot of slop in it. Goes in 2nd gear much better now.

J.R.

Your new deadline is MLK weekend in Tellico now. Think she'll be ready by then?

New Years

We have talked about going somewhere up in Tennessee for New Years. Don't know the details yet. Don't know if Tellico will be my first ride.

I've been driving it some, just trying to work out all the bugs. Amazing at the traction with axles locked.

J.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom