Fj40 Hood Hinge Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I've decided to repair the two rust spots on my 1973 FJ40 (pictures attached). My question is: Since this is an almost rust-free vehicle from California I'm wondering why there would be rust under the hood hinges of all places? And also, when doing the repairs, should I remove the sheet metal stiffened?

SCOTTY2

So, I've decided to repair the two rust spots on my 1973 FJ40 (pictures attached). My question is: Since this is an almost rust-free vehicle from California I'm wondering why there would be rust under the hood hinges of all places? And also, when doing the repairs, should I remove the sheet metal stiffened?

SCOTTY2
No pictures.....

No pictures.....

No pictures.....
Oops, forgot the pics!

20200704_161126.jpg

20200704_161126.jpg

20200704_161057.jpg

@Scotty2

The OEM arrangement for the hood hinges included a thin rubber gasket under each hinge pad. These pads would keep water from infiltrating the screws holding the hinges in place, and prevent water from puddling in the cavity between the hood and the stiffener.

I suspect that, given the rust, at some point the hinges were removed and the gaskets weren't replaced.

I believe the stiffener will have to be removed to do a thorough job of rust repair.

I’d cut out the section from the top and not through the stiffener or the folded area at the back. You can probably clean out the stiffener rust from the back side, weld in a new piece, do the body work and paint her up!

If you are good at metalwork, the repair is obvious. If you do not want to challenge it, a new hood is possible. Depends on if your time is more valuable. 1200.00 for a new hood.

SCOTTY2

Because somebody painted over rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom