FJ25 Wiring Harness (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd I appreciate the schematic. I actually already had that one. Got it when I mined MUD for schematics a while back.
I will start a new thread once I receive the harness.

Once I receive the harness, mount it to a template board, un-tape it, and document each circuit I will then layout the template so that I can build them for other folks if they are interested.

A quick look at the schematic shows unused fuses? I see now why these harnesses are rare, they are a fire waiting to happen...:D
The question is: Do folks want a true OEM harness or one that has been modified a bit to protect the truck better? A later 6 circuit fuse block would still look OEM but provide for more circuit protection. At a minimum I would suggest adding a master fusible link to the main power circuit.

Feedback on what circuits burns up the most would help determine what to fuse.

I'm looking forward to this! Being so rare, it will be great to help someone bring a FJ25 back to life...

So are you saying add a fusible link to the white wire going from the starter to the fuse block?

And FYI, on two FJ25 wiring harness that i have one had burnt wires at the turn signal flasher and the other had a burnt wire at the inspection receptacle. Not sure if this helps you out or not.

Sorry for hijack of thread.

Yes adding a fusible link to the white wire at the starter would prevent total vehicle melt down if the white or the White/Blue wire was shorted.

Once I get a harness I will look at and document the wire gauges in each circuit, and will measure what each circuit draws in amps. With that information I can decide in which circuit it would help to increase wire size, which circuit might need a larger or smaller fuse, where to add a fuse to a circuit that may not have one, or possibly move a circuit to a different fuse to balance the load on the harness as a whole.

Anyone know off the top of their head what a stock generator put out in amps?

Anyone know off the top of their head what a stock generator put out in amps?

I was going to say 35A but the manual says .216kW, so at 12V = 18A
I'd assume something larger has been substituted, I used to run a 55A 10SI through my stock wiring.

55 amps through a 50 year old wiring harness? No wonder you guys are frying the FJ25 harnesses! :D

Only 18 amps from the generator huh? I guess there was really no more need than that since the are about as stripped as you can get. When I start building these, I will have to be sure to ask what power source you plan to use so I can size the wiring accordingly.

Not sure if I'm jumping ahead since you haven't looked at a FJ25 harness yet, but could you put fusible links in line on circuits that need fuses and still keep the 5 circuit fuse block? Then super nerds like me could keep the authentic look.

Pricing starts at $10,000 and goes up depending on how pretty your truck is. The prettier it is, the more expensive the harness...

Coming your way. thank you, Mike

:rofl::worms::D

Not sure if I'm jumping ahead since you haven't looked at a FJ25 harness yet, but could you put fusible links in line on circuits that need fuses and still keep the 5 circuit fuse block? Then super nerds like me could keep the authentic look.

Yes I could do that, but a fusible link is designed to be a VERY slow blow fuse. You have to have a catastrophic short for them to do their job. Their use depends on what needs protecting. Toyota used them a lot in the FJ60/62. There were 5 total on the 88-92 FJ62.
Once I document the harness I have received, I will be in a better position to know what to do. It may be a simple matter of redistributing the load in the harness and changing some fuse values. That however means that OEM documentation would not apply.

I hope to take a quick look at the harness I received this weekend. I am really swamped right now with harness work!

I just went through the rest of the boxes. i found a few more wire bundles, will take pics in the morning.

Yes I could do that, but a fusible link is designed to be a VERY slow blow fuse. You have to have a catastrophic short for them to do their job. Their use depends on what needs protecting. Toyota used them a lot in the FJ60/62. There were 5 total on the 88-92 FJ62.
Once I document the harness I have received, I will be in a better position to know what to do. It may be a simple matter of redistributing the load in the harness and changing some fuse values. That however means that OEM documentation would not apply.

I hope to take a quick look at the harness I received this weekend. I am really swamped right now with harness work!
Found these should i ship them to ya. looks like a headlight and wiper wiring. thanks mike
IMAG0463.jpg
IMAG0462.jpg

Yes ship those too. Though I believe those are identical to early FJ40 parts, I want to verify this. Parts that are shared with the FJ40 is a good thing as it means I don't have to build new job boards!

I took a peek at the main harness you sent. It appears to be in good shape. I set up to build the jig board Sunday, then family matters interrupted me. Hope to get back at it this week in between real work, Cruiser work, and Christmas. :santa:

No wiper harness on most FJ25s, they had vacuum wipers except for a couple that had two wire TANK electric wipers.

No wiper harness on most FJ25s, they had vacuum wipers except for a couple that had two wire TANK electric wipers.
Here are the wipers that came off mine. If i had a guess may not be correect PO changed??
IMAG0461.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, those have 3?? Does anyone know what the triangle parts are in the picture above? The PO took this truck apart and i picked it up in pieces. Thanks Mike

Hmm, those have 3?? Does anyone know what the triangle parts are in the picture above? The PO took this truck apart and i picked it up in pieces. Thanks Mike

Those triangle parts are windshield hold upper brackets ( These bolts to the windshield and then there is another separate bottom bracket piece that bolts to the tub). Wiper motors in your pics are for early to 64 FJ40 windshields. Two terminal wiper motors had a different mounting bracket, you can find more information on FJ25 electric wiper motors in my thread.

Yup, the longer of the two harnesses appears to be the light harness that runs along the bottom of the bib. it's a little different than early 40 harnesses because the horns are both on the right side on FJ25's.

Yes ship those too. Though I believe those are identical to early FJ40 parts, I want to verify this. Parts that are shared with the FJ40 is a good thing as it means I don't have to build new job boards!

I took a peek at the main harness you sent. It appears to be in good shape. I set up to build the jig board Sunday, then family matters interrupted me. Hope to get back at it this week in between real work, Cruiser work, and Christmas. :santa:
Harness is mailed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom