FJ Cruiser Roof rack on a GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would much rather have a rack that integrates into the gutter track rather than bolting a rack through my roof and create a rust collection attachment.

Yeah the GX and the FJ both have factory mounting points in the gutter track that look like this. I wouldn't want to drill holes in my roof either.
img_0994-jpg.1119070

img_0995-jpg.1119076

The question is will the FJ roof rack directly bolt to the factory GX mounting points. It looks like it may work but I don't have access to an FJ that I can climb on and measure.

Here is why I think it might work:
they both have three mounting points on each side and the racks appear to be about the same size.
Obviously the GX has a longer roof, but the factory GX rack ends at the sunroof, whereas the factory FJ rack ends right near the front windscreen. This is what is making me think they are about the same size.

See how the rack ends near the back side of sunroof:
12195._CB192202271_.jpg

On an FJ the rack ends right near the windscreen:
AR-311169971.jpg

I am really curious on this as well, I will measure the leg distance on my GX over my lunch break. I have an FJC on the lot here at work so I will measure that as well. It will be a rough measurement since I don't want to have to take my rack off to precisely measure to the bolt hole.

I am really curious on this as well, I will measure the leg distance on my GX over my lunch break. I have an FJC on the lot here at work so I will measure that as well. It will be a rough measurement since I don't want to have to take my rack off to precisely measure to the bolt hole.
Great I have been trying to find an FJ to measure but there are none on the dealer lots around me and I don't know anyone that has one.

The FJ roof rack is garbage, go ask the FJ guys what they think about it- not sure why anyone would want to make it work on the gx.

A proper setup to consider is buying Yakima/Thule crossbars to use with the stock rail system for a few hundred, then you can get whatever accessories you need (rack, bike carrier, etc). This way you eliminate the weak oem crossbars and have a rooftop capable of carrying heavy loads.

If you're just wanting the FJ rack for looks, you're doing it wrong.

The FJ roof rack is garbage, go ask the FJ guys what they think about it- not sure why anyone would want to make it work on the gx.

A proper setup to consider is buying Yakima/Thule crossbars to use with the stock rail system for a few hundred, then you can get whatever accessories you need (rack, bike carrier, etc). This way you eliminate the weak oem crossbars and have a rooftop capable of carrying heavy loads.

If you're just wanting the FJ rack for looks, you're doing it wrong.

The FJ roof rack has 4 cross bars compared to the GXs 2 and yeah it looks cooler. It also has places to loop straps. I don't need it to carry super heavy loads as heavy loads don't belong on the roof, that's not safe. The most I put on the roof is a big pelican box full of camping gear and sometimes a bit of wood.

Anyway I guess it's moot for me, because even if it fits on the GX it won't fit in my garage.

There are at least 4, going on 5 GX specific racks being made right now at nice price points. Not sure if this is worth the effort compared to what is coming out of the shops.

There are at least 4, going on 5 GX specific racks being made right now at nice price points. Not sure if this is worth the effort compared to what is coming out of the shops.
Any links to those 5 GX specific roof racks that are available?

Frontrunner Slimline
Rhino
Baja
Southern style off-road

Are the one I know

What Dan said ^

The FJ rack is a royal pain in the ass so why would you?? I love my front runner rack and the accessories available for it? Have you ever seen someone try to get a bigger awning to sit level on an FJ rack?

Nobody mentioned how hideous the FJ rack looks. That's got to be a deciding factor right ?

It's downright hideous. Looks like somebody put a bunch of oversized pipes on the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom