Fixing up FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and I are working on this 1972 FJ40 for him. We are both rather new to doing any serious type of automotive work but we are learning and having fun doing it. We are hoping we haven't bitten off more than we can chew. :)

Currently we are rebuilding the carburetor using some nice step-by-step instructions we found online (these communities are great).

We do have a question. There is this hole towards the back of the engine, I *think* on the transfer case. Can anyone help us identify this hole, it's purpose or whether it's simply damage from the photos below?

Of course, we welcome any general advice on the overall rebuild based on what you see in the photo of the FJ40 itself!

Thanks!
Kane

1. Congrats, and good luck! Father son projects are great.
2. Get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) and read it cover to cover, it will save you countless hours of problems.
3. Get a tetanus shot
4. Read up on removing rusted / broken bolts.

Have Fun

Dyno

awesome that you and your son are starting a project! me and my dad spent hundreds of hours working on an old Camaro that I bought right out of high school. I ended up selling it to by my fj40 (just sat in the garage collecting dust) but those memory's are something that I will never forget! as you get a little further along start a build thread with lots of details and pictures. It will help you keep tabs on what exactly you two have accomplished and how far you have come from the beginning.

That's the flywheel timing marks hole, however, there's a flat cover missing.

dscf1047-jpg.69709

With cover shown here
images
DSC06572.jpg

Welcome to The MUD.
Introduce yourself on the clubhouse site NC- Olde North State Cruisers
You have friends down that way.
You don't need to be a member to post anything in the clubhouse.
Ask me how I know???
Someday maybe.
Shane
More pictures required by law ;)

BTW, Kane and Son Welcome to MUD! We're are glad you joined and look forward to your build and many more photos.:cheers:

Here's some additional photos of the FJ40 as it sat prior to our purchasing it.

Needed...Replacement Discharge Weight Stopper for 72 Carburetor

We are trying to locate a couple replacement parts for our 1972 FJ40 as part of our carburetor rebuild.

1. We damaged the "discharge weight stopper" while removing it.
2. The "screen" was apparently missing.

We have found the parts here but they are not available:
Search by Part Number 042-27

Discharge Weight Stopper - Part #27 on schematic of 1972 FJ40 Carb on sor.com.
Screen - Part #94 on same schematic.

Any ideas of where we can find these or suggested alternatives? Here are photos of the carburetor and damaged "discharge weight stopper".

Thanks.

possible sources for carb parts:

the Classifieds here on MUD: Wanted Parts Wanted - Parts

your local club: NC- Olde North State Cruisers

as far as commercial dealers:

Specter Offroad
Mark's Off Road
Jim Chenoweth
Classic Cruisers
Trollhole
cruiserparts.net
and some other I may have forgotten to list

most likely, you'd get the best advice from your local buddies, so worth checking them out :cheers:

My son ended up cleaning and rebuilding his carb. He did a nice job. He also replaced the starter. However, at this point the FJ won't start. We have verified we are getting the correct voltage at the coil (between 7 and 8 volts) and more when starting. However, nothing is coming out of the coil.

We're replaced the coil, condenser, coil wire, and today ensured we had a little insulator on the connection on the side of the distributor per something we read in another post. Still nothing!

We are including pictures below of the coil, distributor, points, condenser, and associated wiring. What do you all suggest? At this point we don't have any ideas. We've checked voltage, resistance, connections, etc., per other posts but still are not getting fire. What could be going on?

Thanks so much for any advice you all may have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom