Builds Finally!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@SSTigerMerc id love some! Do you have the switche to the right of the steering column? If so what is it for? And how do you activate the high beams? I can only flash them at the moment.

Your turn signal cane should move one way to flash and another way should clip into high beam. Believe push forward is high beam. Pull back is flash.

Your turn signal cane should move one way to flash and another way should clip into high beam. Believe push forward is high beam. Pull back is flash.

Ok. It won’t push forward... I’ll try some WD40 when I get back.

I’m back in the USA. Little bit of progress.. I’m using a Brillo pad on a mouse sander with citrus stripper.... much easier! Still waiting on a few parts and need to bug Toyota about bolts.

C609D18E-C60B-47C0-AC38-0B28C60D3ADA.jpeg

9BB17F2A-66E2-4DB5-83ED-EE2FCAD8371A.jpeg

Ok.. so took cowboy out to get gas. After 35-40 mph my speedo flips out. Jumping from 0-80. I’ve already replaced the speedometer cable. The ends look fine and secure.

I’m assuming it’s not below freezing where you’re at, lol. My speedo jumps like yours at about that same speed when it’s really cold until the rig gets warmed up, I assume because of moisture (condensation) freezing in the line but maybe it’s moisture in the speedo gauge itself. Not much help here, but at least you can say you’ve had the rig up tp 80mph :D.

lol. true. when I drove it, it was 50-60 degrees. I'm going to try and remove the cluster today and see if the spot where it attaches isn't chewed up. when I replaced the speedometer cable it was separated from the clip at that point. see what I see.

Ok. Took apart the gauge cluster. Found some burnt out lights, and cleaned some dirt. But the speedometer hole isn’t striped or rounded out. Could it be that the aftermarket speedo cable might be just to small?

91EF06F6-6899-4BB1-A762-00008338A09B.jpeg

E89D59F4-8C70-4F15-81D1-CC79922D252F.jpeg

You might have to open up the cluster assembly. Mine did the same thing after I reconnected the cable following purchase. Turns out the assembly connected to the speedo needle was broke and I had to replace it. Works great now!
speedometer0013.jpg
speedometer0012.jpg

It happened to me as well when I first pulled apart and reinstalled the gauge cluster/speedo cable. If I rember correctly, lubricating where the cable mates with the instrument cluster, with some grease, fixed the problem; at least for me it did

Memory is a bit murky, but in the second photo, you can see the speedo needle is attached to a mechanism with the spring - that is what broke. Had to buy a replacement odometer/speedo assembly from the classifieds, but it was a plug and play, so all's good now. Unfortunately you can't figure out what's broke until you dig into the cluster and take things apart.

I'm also having intermittent flasher issues. sometimes they turn on, some turns they don't. I'm going to chalk this up to possibly an intermittent ground. at least that's where I'm going to start. I'm going to try and look tonight, but where exactly is the relay and ground for this in a 77?

You're welcome. Found a better picture of what I'm talking about. The speedo needle shaft should be projecting from the brass nut in the front. The shaft had broken and was not repairable, at least not by me.

IMG_0601.JPG

Everything looks and works well in the speedometer gauge. I cleaned ant dust and think I’ll try to paint the needles if I can. Other than that I can’t figure what’s up. I noticed some oil leaking out of the original now that I pulled it out of the trash, so I’m wondering if I should squirt some lubricant or a touch of oil to stop any catching??

7A7D7E42-6845-4F47-A4B7-02C3730BD453.jpeg

40E8A6A5-6EB1-4035-8E5B-ED4F684CA90E.jpeg

97475940-2490-4E1B-9E08-831060673B01.jpeg

In the meantime, I’m going to look at my turn signal and high beam situation. Turn signal is intermittent and my brights are always on.

Looks like the cluster mechanism is okay. When you replaced the speedo cable, did you replace it and the sheath? When I checked mine for damage, I pulled the cable out of the sheath and greased it with lithium axle grease as I slid it back into the sheath.

I just replaced it when it came in the mail, sheath and all. I'm starting to think I should grease it with something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom