Finally!!!! Saginaw PS pump conversion kit for FJ60s!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are 2 basic fitting styles on pa pumps/hoses/boxes:
Inverted flare
O-ring
The Toyota boxes and pumps were used to use inverted flare fittings. Most of the domestics used to as well but a lot of them switched to the o-ring fittings many years ago.
We haven't had issues with pump or hose leakage.
If your pump is leaking between the HP
fitting and can, then I would suspect a cut or damaged o-ring. The fitting should have been installed already when you received the pump. There's really no need to remove it. But if it's leaking, then take it out and check the o-ring. I would not use any sealer but a light coating of ATF or PS fluid to help the o-ring slip in place.
If your leak is between the HP fitting and the HP hose, then the flare isn't seated properly. I'd remove the hose and inspect the flare for any imperfections. Make sure to use a flare wrench to tighten the hose fitting properly.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Got around to this install over the weekend.

I found it easier (not quicker) to take out the smog pump first, but others have said that isn't necessary. I was able to easily press on the pulley using the correct tool using a little engine assembly lube, no freezer time required. Seems that mileage varies in that step...

Everything is buttoned up and no leaks after my short test drive, but I will continue to watch it. The soft p/s hose routing was a little tricky give the angle of the hard line off of the back of the pump, but not impossible to make happen. Also, if I did it again, I'd replace the two threaded studs w/ bolts for a cleaner setup.

4wheelfever, I just sent you a paypal for the reservoir cap adapter!

-Jason

My kit showed up today. Thanks Georg. I can't wait to get this done.

@Mark has come up with some instructions which I'll be happy to email you.

I've used Duralast pump #7023 works great. It's a GM unit not Volvo.

The bracket requires some simple cutting/grinding. No welding!

Hi Georg
Could you email those instructions as well? br.foot@gmail.com
Thanks - Brian

Thanks Georg. This mod was much easier than the bracket/head bolt set-up. Was easy to mod the OEM bracket and as many times as I have had to replace a leaky OEM pump, it was easy getting it out and putting Saginaw in. Like mentioned above, much easier to pull smog pump first, remove OEM pump and bracket, install Saginaw with mod OEM bracket, then put smog pump back. Steers soo nice, no leaks after several local street miles...can't wait to get it in the dirt next weekend!!! Thanks again Georg!! Great product!!!

Going to finally do mine soon, ordered the kit months ago...is there any reason the saginaw won't work in conjunction with the pulley eliminator kit from @FJ40Jim ? As folks have mentioned, the install is easier with the air pump out.

Cant seem to get mine to run correctly.... This is the second pump i put in since i didn't get the pulley on right last time. My Pump is still whining can feel it up the steering shaft on 1/2 to 3/4 of the turn radius. I have burped and bled the system a few times. I'm at a loss now with what to do.

1. When i lock it in the position it whines at and open the hood and open the top to the pump you can hear it coming from there.
2. Is it a belt issue? too tight or too loose i set it at the recommended deflection.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Going to finally do mine soon, ordered the kit months ago...is there any reason the saginaw won't work in conjunction with the pulley eliminator kit from @FJ40Jim ? As folks have mentioned, the install is easier with the air pump out.

@orangefj45 @FJ40Jim Possible either one of you can weigh in on this concern/question?

This is a thought what kind of fluid are you guys putting in your sag pumps standard PS Fluid, ATF 4 fluid, Lucas Red? I went through a few bottles of lucas flushing so grabbed some standard off the shelf in our shop. Im thinking maybe the standard does have the right additives or viscosity as the ATF or Red i should put in there. Maybe thats why?

This is a thought what kind of fluid are you guys putting in your sag pumps standard PS Fluid, ATF 4 fluid, Lucas Red? I went through a few bottles of lucas flushing so grabbed some standard off the shelf in our shop. Im thinking maybe the standard does have the right additives or viscosity as the ATF or Red i should put in there. Maybe thats why?

I used Valvoline Syn ATF, although in this thread Georg said he uses PS fluid. I 'think' either is fine in the Sag pump.

Mine whined at first also. I then bled it good and the whine went away. When I bled mine I had both front wheels in the air, the engine OFF and SLOWLY went lock to lock 20 maybe 30 times. Check the fluid level often & add as the air is removed.

Bumping this thread since I've received a few more requests this week.

My OEM pump is not leaking and working fine. I am headed to a long backroads trip through Utah in June so I was wondering is this something I should swap out or just carry a spare with me?

If your pump isn't leaking then I wouldn't worry about it.
It's extremely uncommon to encounter a "catastrophic failure" or a leak bad enough that necessitates the immediate replacement of the factory pump.

Georg, I just finished installing my kit. It was a little tougher than I thought it was going to be but it turned out great. It now turns as good as when the FJ60 was new. I'll be returning the old bracket soon. I can't recommend this swap enough.
Brian

Cool!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're happy with the fit, function and performance.

@Mark has come up with some instructions which I'll be happy to email you.

I've used Duralast pump #7023 works great. It's a GM unit not Volvo.

The bracket requires some simple cutting/grinding. No welding!

Just got my kit today! Fantastic turn around. Thanks George! Would be great to get a copy of those instructions as well!

Take a look thru this thread ........ instructions enclosed.

Hi Georg
I finally got my old PS bracket in the mail to you today. Let me know when you've received it.
Brian

Awesome!

Thanks again for the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom