Fair Purchase Price (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a few threads on this, but they all seem to be 5-6 years old.

I am looking at a 1997 Collectors Edition, 210,XXX miles, factory lockers. It has not been driven in a year or so. The body has a few scratches and dents, front seats the leather is torn. It is completely stock.

What would be a reasonable price to offer? Seems to be all over the board these days.

Should I have any concerns about sitting damage beyond the tires? Suggestions on what to look at?

$8-12k.
look to see if the pesky heater hose was replaced aside from Most of the other heater hoses. You will have to do a lot of maintenance if there are a lot of oil leaks, front/rear/valve gasket/oil pump/steering pump/oil hoses/ect. Check the front axle for leaks or needs a rebuild. These are TLC’s and will need about another $2-5k if you don’t work on your rig yourself just on the up keep. People have to remember that these rigs are almost getting to be 30 years old and stuff just doesn’t last that long.

You say it has not been driven - is it in running/driving condition, though? Any rust? Any maintenance paperwork? Values swing wildly based upon factors like that

Assuming it cranks and drives reasonably I would only look at the rust situation. That would be my number 1 criteria. I'm thinking $10k to $15k but it would have to be fairly nice to get to $15k.

Prices above are too high IMHO unless it's a creampuff (it's not with the dents) and with all maintenance kept up to date.

Biggest question is why was it sitting for a year? IME that often means either the owner died and the relatives let it sit and/or something major is broken. Only way to tell is to drive it and if you're not familiar with the FZJ80 take it to a Toyota dealer or Land Cruiser shop (better) for an inspection.

Example: I recently picked up a locked 95 FZJ80 for $4500. Solid body and clean interior, but It had horrible maintenance, needs all PM done and then some including replacing most of the cooling system, leaks a quart of oil every 75 miles (oil pump cover, valve cover, etc), ----. Went to change the oil, nope, oversized drain plug that appears to have been installed with ? epoxy as it won't budge with a breaker bar, need a new pan.

Point is, it could be a rats nest of never ending repairs, which is why you
need someone who knows these vehicles to check it out for you. IMHO.

Last edited:
Prices above are too high IMHO unless it's a creampuff (it's not with the dents) and with all maintenance kept up to date.

Biggest question is why was it sitting for a year? IME that often means either the owner died and the relatives let it sit and/or something major is broken. Only way to tell is to drive it and if you're not familiar with the FZJ80 take it to a Toyota dealer or Land Cruiser shop (better) for an inspection.

Example: I recently picked up a locked 95 FZJ80 for $4500. Solid body and clean interior, but It had horrible maintenance, needs all PM done and then some including replacing most of the cooling system, leaks a quart of oil every 75 miles (oil pump cover, valve cover, etc), ----. Went to change the oil, nope, oversized drain plug that appears to have been installed with ? epoxy as it won't budge with a breaker bar, need a new pan.

Point is, it could be a rats nest of never ending repairs, which is why you
need someone who knows these vehicles to check it out for you. IMHO.

Sounds like the one owner locked 97 a got from parents, lord knows who they had work on it through the years, everything has been a mess. Wrong size drain bolts in the oil and tranny pans, all the normal oil leaks, seized VC, no preload on the wheel bearings, hoses shot, suspension and tires as well, all that a a couple small dents from my dad driving in Mexico. Upside, it cost me a transport ride to my place and it lived a full life in the desert of El Paso. It doesn’t have a spec of rust on it.

The truck is worth what you feel is a good deal to you. You can search thread after thread on here and everyone will tell you the asking price is to high, its only worth 8k, and many other lowball offers. On the other hand see how many members on here will step up and sell you their locked collectors or any other variety for 8-12k. On top of that the price on used cars is off the chart currently. Everything bringing top dollar. Watch "bring a trailer" and see some CRAZY prices.

Look at the truck, see what you like and don't like, and then make an offer you can live with. Quit worrying about what others think you should pay.

Good luck

Value on the 80s have been climbing. Thankfully I picked up a ‘97 non-locked for 4,500. Expect at least 7k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom