Factory sub tank - sourcing and fitment discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Could improve -
Occasionally the full volume won't go in at a fill-up.

Spit balling here. I wonder if has to do with the rate of filling and the "back flow" from the aux tank. That is, as the aux tank is full so fuel is going to in but burp back out thus interfering with the filling of the main tank causing it prematurely shut off. Given the issues is intermittent I wonder if the rate of filling was slower there would less interference???

Spit balling here. I wonder if has to do with the rate of filling and the "back flow" from the aux tank. That is, as the aux tank is full so fuel is going to in but burp back out thus interfering with the filling of the main tank causing it prematurely shut off. Given the issues is intermittent I wonder if the rate of filling was slower there would less interference???
That could sure be. Unfortunately I haven't had to fill up all that many times over the year, and it doesn't happen every fill (example - need to put in 20 gallons, 8 main, 12 sub, it probably wouldn't happen). It not much of an issue, but I want to be transparent with those considering the factory sub tank route, it's not completely rainbows. Close though.

i did try in the example given to 'nurse' in at the slowest rate possible (manually triggered, push the pressure sensor on the fill nozzle vapor recovery to the side, angle the filer around, etc and that didn't make a difference.

More data- fill up at 1/2 (main), empty (sub). I estimated 24g. Pump clicked off at 22.5g. Main tank gauge shows chock full, sub as well. So when the empty volumes are about equal, no drama full fill.

Now that you have had this OEM solution for over a year and half, would you go the OEM route or aftermarket if you had to do it again on another 200 series?

Now that you have had this OEM solution for over a year and half, would you go the OEM route or aftermarket if you had to do it again on another 200 series?
I haven’t had an aftermarket solution to compare to.

I’m fully satisfied and would make this an early mod on my next 200 for sure. If you can find a filler or adapt the oem filler I think easily worth it. The 12ish gallons added is just right for the stuff I’ve been doing.

One of the primary perks is the fuel transfer is very fast and silent.

Probably the biggest drawback is if you do run it to no start empty it takes 5+ gallons to get enough in the main tank to start vs only 2 gallons for a single tank.

I haven’t had an aftermarket solution to compare to.

I’m fully satisfied and would make this an early mod on my next 200 for sure. If you can find a filler or adapt the oem filler I think easily worth it. The 12ish gallons added is just right for the stuff I’ve been doing.

One of the primary perks is the fuel transfer is very fast and silent.

Probably the biggest drawback is if you do run it to no start empty it takes 5+ gallons to get enough in the main tank to start vs only 2 gallons for a single tank.
Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve been eyeing this mod for a little while.

You mentioned that the spare tire hangs a couple inches lower. Is this at the front by the axle as well as the back by the bumper?

I’ll read back over the beginning of this thread to see what you did about the filler. It sounds like this may be the most difficult piece to source?

I’ll read back over the beginning of this thread to see what you did about the filler. It sounds like this may be the most difficult piece to source?
The half dozen or so times I’ve tried to find one in the last few months have produced zero hits.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I’ve been eyeing this mod for a little while.

You mentioned that the spare tire hangs a couple inches lower. Is this at the front by the axle as well as the back by the bumper?

The entire tire hoist moves down. You can look at your frame rails below the hoist side supports and see the new location for the hoist supports, the threaded holes are already there.

Yeas, I got the filler from a used like new kind of store. I think the best way to get one would be via an Australian rep who can buy at the dealer and ship over. Maybe advert for this service in the classifieds. Or on an Australia cruiser forum? Or email the place I used and see if they’ll broker for you. They were super nice in my comms.

@grinchy It looks like there are two subtank options, the only difference being whether there are two small ports on the side or one (see in screenshots). It looks like you got the subtank with two small ports. What does each go to? Are both necessary to work correctly on our US spec models?

1681004127477.png

1681004170769.png

@grinchy It looks like there are two subtank options, the only difference being whether there are two small ports on the side or one (see in screenshots). It looks like you got the subtank with two small ports. What does each go to? Are both necessary to work correctly on our US spec models?

View attachment 3294220
View attachment 3294221
Those are the emissions / charcoal canister circuit. They are colored purple and green on the hoses themselves.

I went with the two option as that allows daisy chain of the emissions flow from main -> in to sub -> out of sub -> into canister. Only one port, and there is no 'output' for the emissions to canister.

The ROW markets have a different canister flow at the main tank too.

I won't claim there is only one way to install, only a couple installs documented worldwide, and they are in different markets (Aus, Russia, US), so they differ in the emissions starting point. I went with the option that worked easiest for US OEM emissions.

Those are the emissions / charcoal canister circuit. They are colored purple and green on the hoses themselves.

I went with the two option as that allows daisy chain of the emissions flow from main -> in to sub -> out of sub -> into canister. Only one port, and there is no 'output' for the emissions to canister.

The ROW markets have a different canister flow at the main tank too.

I won't claim there is only one way to install, only a couple installs documented worldwide, and they are in different markets (Aus, Russia, US), so they differ in the emissions starting point. I went with the option that worked easiest for US OEM emissions.

Okay thanks. I'm going to start ordering parts, and so getting into the details of it means questions start arising.

Okay thanks. I'm going to start ordering parts, and so getting into the details of it means questions start arising.
Ask away. It's an awesome addition! are you going to be repurposing a dual filler, making your own, or tracking down the OEM part?

Ask away. It's an awesome addition! are you going to be repurposing a dual filler, making your own, or tracking down the OEM part?

I'm going to be reusing my current filler, but cutting out a segment where the T normally is on the foreign OEM parts, and connecting up my own T there using large hose & clamps to connect the new T in. The T could either be a section cut out of one of the foreign filler if I can track one down, or get just that segment made (which should be cheap). I figure reusing my own filler and changing out that one piece should help alleviate the many headaches of different sized / mismatched hoses & fittings that you had to figure out.

I'm going to be reusing my current filler, but cutting out a segment where the T normally is on the foreign OEM parts, and connecting up my own T there using large hose & clamps to connect the new T in. The T could either be a section cut out of one of the foreign filler if I can track one down, or get just that segment made (which should be cheap). I figure reusing my own filler and changing out that one piece should help alleviate the many headaches of different sized / mismatched hoses & fittings that you had to figure out.

Please keep us posted man, take pics and let me know if there is anything you can add / improve to @grinchy’s info.

This is my most dreaded mod, and something that I’m not comfortable doing at all. It is a must do sooner than later though. Ill need all the help I can get.

Please keep us posted man, take pics and let me know if there is anything you can add / improve to @grinchy’s info.

This is my most dreaded mod, and something that I’m not comfortable doing at all. It is a must do sooner than later though. Ill need all the help I can get.

I know exactly what you mean. I've read through this entire thread probably 6 times on 6 different occasions, and each time I start reading I'm super enthusiastic, but by the time I finish I'm dreading the whole thing.

I'm at a point now, though, where I think I have played out enough of the process in my mind and the little changes that will make it easier, that it no longer seems as intimidating. Don't quote me on that when I start actually digging in, though 😄

I think the level of difficulty is lower for the tlc, since the canister relo is less involved.

Just spent $1000 on parts and $700 on shipping (most from partsouq, but a couple parts from eBay that bumped up the price a little). I think that covers all the oem parts I'll need. Getting excited to have the extra range and still keep the simple fill / transfer.

Are you going for a full replace on the fuel pump or just adding the venturi bits via a rebuild?

Are you going for a full replace on the fuel pump or just adding the venturi bits via a rebuild?

I want to just do the venturi too with no transfer switch (i dont have a good blank) and avoid level reading headache. Is single filler neck a possibility in that config?

Full replace.

I want to just do the venturi too with no transfer switch (i dont have a good blank) and avoid level reading headache. Is single filler neck a possibility in that config?

Either option uses the venturi bits. The full pump replacement replaces the original pump (that doesn't have the venturi) with a pump that has it. The rebuild just retrofits the venturi bits into the original pump, presumably cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom