Factory roof rack removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wiggle them side to side as you pull up.. once you do a couple you'll get the feel for how they pop up. If you decide to not reinstall it, then use a screwdriver to pop the plastic clip things off.. they're just on with double-sided tape.

Thanks Paul and Tim. I'll try that in a few. Tim, thanks again for helping get the Mud-Ship going for the Expo rack. Looking forward to getting it installed on the beach in Pismo.

Gottem off, thanks!

there are mounts forward of the front feet of your 4footed rack that you would use for the baja rack, after trimming back the plastic insert. the cover that you see between your two feet is for the middle one on the 3foot rack.

So this means that with a 4-footed rack, there are actually 4 pairs of mounting points? ie. I could potentially have 4 rhino rack cross bars? Can i assume that this then holds true for all NA spec 100's?

When you remove the cover between the two feet of the 4-footed rack, can this cover be used to cover the front feet of the 4-footed rack? I am planning on getting the bajarack utility rack and i believe they have a 3-footed mounting system. I would have to use the rear most, front most and middle mounting holes and i would like to cover the holes that were previously utilized by the front foot of my 4-foot rack with this cover. Possible?

So this means that with a 4-footed rack, there are actually 4 pairs of mounting points? ie. I could potentially have 4 rhino rack cross bars? Can i assume that this then holds true for all NA spec 100's?
Yes, probably yes but not sure, and yes pretty sure. Here's a pic with 4 per side, not Baja though:

flatrack_100_5.jpg
and
flatrack_100_6.jpg

When you remove the cover between the two feet of the 4-footed rack, can this cover be used to cover the front feet of the 4-footed rack? I am planning on getting the bajarack utility rack and i believe they have a 3-footed mounting system. I would have to use the rear most, front most and middle mounting holes and i would like to cover the holes that were previously utilized by the front foot of my 4-foot rack with this cover. Possible?

Unless I misunderstand, no it's one big long cover, with multiple rectangular openings cut into it. On some trucks there are 2, others 3, but I haven't seen any 4's... you can't piece meal the cover pieces between the towers though, as it's all one unit- sheet metal on the bottom, some type of thin plastic on top.

So glad that I found this post. I would have never guessed by looking at the rack "feet" that the tops simply popped off. I wanted to slide out my factory cross bars and install my Yakima rack which was pretty easy to do once I unbolted the front section of the factory rack. Thanks for the diagram Hoser. Do you by chance remember where you were able to find it?

Breaking the small tabs that keep these from blowing off must be a right of passage. Anyone have a passenger side rear cover from a six footed OEM rack laying around? PM me.

image-4050605555.jpg
image-4050605555.jpg

First post on the forum, have been following along for awhile and been slowly performing maintenance and mods to our 2000 LC. Well, in pulling off the roof rack and getting to the last mount (center drivers side) I find both bolt cavities are filled with water and both bolt heads have corroded away. Aaaaaack! Anyone experience this and found a semi nondestructive method in getting these bolts out? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

First post on the forum, have been following along for awhile and been slowly performing maintenance and mods to our 2000 LC. Well, in pulling off the roof rack and getting to the last mount (center drivers side) I find both bolt cavities are filled with water and both bolt heads have corroded away. Aaaaaack! Anyone experience this and found a semi nondestructive method in getting these bolts out? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/589554-those-oem-racks.html

I'm in need to either one or both factory cross bars. Anyone that's uninstalled theirs willing to sell?

I want to remove the center rails on my 98. If I saws all them in half will they slide out without removing the rails?

Fellas-

The rubbery-plastic-ish bottom foot on the roof racks... is it the same on the LX to the LC? Also, anyone have the Toy PN's for this? I need the 4 corners if it's the same and in black.

Painted my LX feet and they look great in terms of color but in general the parts are old and decrepit.
Photo Sep 29, 7 20 41 PM.jpg

Really? No one?

New to the site, again, but anyone ever mounted an '03 LC OEM roof rack to a '99 LX470? Got a sweet deal on a 6' rack with 3 mounts per side, but laid out a side just to see and realized no holes for front mounts. Saw Brock working on similar scenario. Any progress?

I know this thread is on the older side, but it appears some are still following it until recently.

I just bought a 2001 LX470, and am in need of a cross bar. Understanding they come in pairs of two, and that it seems a lot of people have removed them in the past I'd take two - no problem.

Please let me know if you have some you're looking to part with, and the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom