Factory roof rack removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd love to edit my post, but perhaps being a NOOB I can't just yet. I didn't really mean to say pairs of two - I really just meant "pairs," or "sets of two."

FYI, for anyone out there looking to put a 1998 to 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser Roof Rack on a 1998 to 2002 Lexus LX470 I can at least comment that the cross bars are NOT the same width. The land cruiser cross bars are about an inch too narrow up front. The plastic T's that attach the cross bars to the rails appear to be a slightly different design and are a bit shorter than the LX470. The land cruiser T's have a very short slot for some degree of elongation, but the LX470 has a very long slot to allow the bar to extend even farther. The egg/elliptical aluminum bar part of the cross bars are the exact same length and cross section. This tells me the roof line is different, which should also mean a lot of other things. Like, the roof liner, and a-pillar trim are probably different, then if the roof is somehow wider then is the windshield different between the two? I can't see a reason why they did that, because the two SUVs look the same in pictures.

Back to the roof rack, I'd like to be able to comment on the rails between the two, but my rails came from an LX470. I have the two foot version attached to my LX currently, but there is a third attachment point on each side in the middle; one has a small plastic cover, and the over side does not (must have blown off at some point).

Hopefully this helps someone out there, as I've had a difficult time finding any information on the roof racks. That said, I ran across a brand new set of cross bars for the Land Cruiser still in box plastic and all.

As stated above, they don't fit my car, so they are now for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

Hello Hoppy:
Welcome to mud and thanks for posting that tech information. Also, if you haven't already done so, post your load bars (or anything else you want to sell) on the classifieds (third red tab from the left at the top of the forum page) . There is also a place to post parts that you want to buy on classifieds.
Finally, you can also purchase a star and post photos that help readers better understand the message you are conveying. This also supports the forum.

Need Roof Rack End Caps

My first post, so I am hoping for some luck. Need right front, of left rear end caps for a OEM roof rack for my Lexus 470. My year is 2000, but I believe 1999 to 2004 Landcrusier will fit. If you send me a photo, I can confirm correct type. Color not an issue, I can repaint. Send to 2001@vineyard.net.....thanks so much.

Greetings Guys!

Just removed to OEM roof rack from my 2007 LC. If anyone is interested, I will be listing the complete rack for sale in the classifieds shortly.

Best regards,
Bill

Hoppy, appreciate the info. Not having much luck with my '99 LX470 in the roof rack department. After reading some of the posts, still looking to get some additional storage on top, but lots to research. I like the Gobi low profile, but at $1200+, the missus looks at me like I'm crazy.

Hoppy, appreciate the info. Not having much luck with my '99 LX470 in the roof rack department. After reading some of the posts, still looking to get some additional storage on top, but lots to research. I like the Gobi low profile, but at $1200+, the missus looks at me like I'm crazy.

I like the $1k+ offerings, but couldn't justify them alongside so many other upgrades competing for funding.

I ended up with a Gamiviti rack that I'm quite happy with ($800 for full rack + hardware + shipping). Tim was extremely good with follow up support.

http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html

Looks like he's out of stock... but has the half rack @<$400!

I am planning in removing my roof rack (a 2006 Lexus LX470) and I want to verify which parts I need to order to fix the gaps/openings.

I did some searching on the forum and came up with this:

Roof rack moulding covers

Right Hand Set: p/n 75505-60020

Left Hand Set: p/n 75506-60020

I think there is an updated consolidated part number for them 75551-60101 and 75552-60101 for the 2003+

Could someone verify this before I start ordering stuff?

rack.jpg

I like the $1k+ offerings, but couldn't justify them alongside so many other upgrades competing for funding.

I ended up with a Gamiviti rack that I'm quite happy with ($800 for full rack + hardware + shipping). Tim was extremely good with follow up support.

http://www.gamiviti.com/html/products_roofracks.html

Looks like he's out of stock... but has the half rack @<$400!

At these prices, you might as well get into the LabRak game. Since they're modular , it could be a little more discreet on your credit card. Some roof mounts. Some cross bars, some mounts...

Sorry, try to jump in to ask aswell

I got a OEM aluminium roof rack for 100 series, I also had a problems removing the roof rails, the plastic booth is torn for sure... Not as easy as it describe in the picture to remove it. My problems is, the aluminium OEM roof rack has 3 points bolt, 2 bolt in the front, 3 in the middle, and another 2 bolt in the back. (The original roof rail doesnt have that many bolt in the middle). Problem is, after I built the kit of roof rack with untighten bolt, by the time I move it to the roof, there's big difference for the last point of bolt, approximately 1-2 cm away... :rolleyes:

Did any one of you experts has experience in installing it? Hints and tips maybe? This is frustating

I got a OEM aluminium roof rack for 100 series, I also had a problems removing the roof rails, the plastic booth is torn for sure... Not as easy as it describe in the picture to remove it. My problems is, the aluminium OEM roof rack has 3 points bolt, 2 bolt in the front, 3 in the middle, and another 2 bolt in the back. (The original roof rail doesnt have that many bolt in the middle). Problem is, after I built the kit of roof rack with untighten bolt, by the time I move it to the roof, there's big difference for the last point of bolt, approximately 1-2 cm away... :rolleyes:

Did any one of you experts has experience in installing it? Hints and tips maybe? This is frustating

Are you seeing other bolts along the rail, which you can remove, which lineup with the holes on the new rails? That's what I have to do on my front runner rack.

2006 LC, bought in 2012 with18k original miles, BFG 275/70/18 AT, Metaltech Sliders, Front Runner Slimline II RR...

I don't want to double post but I removed the rack. Results are posted here.

On my '06 TLC, there was no sliding the bars forward. I wasted 1/2 hour trying to slide it forward. It was a matter of popping off the outside of the plastic cover which exposed the single bolt on the middle foot. Only one 12 mm bolt on each side of the middle feet and 2 12mm bolts on the front and rear feet.

On my '06 TLC, there was no sliding the bars forward. I wasted 1/2 hour trying to slide it forward. It was a matter of popping off the outside of the plastic cover which exposed the single bolt on the middle foot. Only one 12 mm bolt on each side of the middle feet and 2 12mm bolts on the front and rear feet.
Somehow I read about 12 different threads about roof rack removal but missed pcut's final comment. My 2004 roof rack was very easy to remove but following directions that date back 7-8 years cost me an extra 30 minutes and some broken tabs on the covers.
1. Use a flat head and slowly run the screwdriver along the bottom of the 6 plastic covers to pop them off without damage.
2. Remove all 10 bolts (2 at each corner, one on each middle post)
3. Lift the sucker off, that's it
4. (don't know about covering holes, praying for a dry night so I can research in the morning)

The FR tracks should bolt right into the factory holes. Just make sure to use a little silicone around the screws for a water proof fit.

Hey fellas. I found out that my new to me '98 LX has a roof rack leak coming in from the front PS footing.

image.jpg

A few questions.

1. Is the Torx bit 30 or 40?

2. If I would like to just remove the front ps footing is it possible to do just that by removing bolts or must I remove other parts of the ps rack?

3. What options do I have or what have you used to seal the bolts?

From earlier in the thread.

image.jpg

Thanks fellas.

Well, my son decided he was tired of looking at his factory roof rack with the paint peeling off of it, and the crossbars held in place with zip ties (previous owner's work).

I pulled up this thread, to show him what was involved in removing the rack.

I hunted down 12 M8 (8mm x 1.25 x 20) screws, some little neoprene washers and the T40 out of my toolbox and told him to call me when he got the first 8 bolts out and I' help him lift it off.

I believe I heard some 4 letter words off in the distance while he was working on getting the covers off. I found a little flat blade screwdriver could get it started, lifting a bit on the top seam at the aluminum side rail, then it would lift right off.

When we lifted the rack off, we found the drivers side middle mount was about 1/2 full of water ,and the head of the bolt was a rusty blob, much like this picture in the 1st post of this thread:

We did a little trimming of the plastic mount for access with the drill. We drilled a hole in the bolt, about the size of the Torx bit, and used a speed out screw extractor to pull it out. I really hadn't planned on teaching that lesson at this time.

As we started dropping our screws into place, we noticed 2 of the holes didn't have any threads left, so we got to do the rivnut lesson too.

If you're planning on pulling the factory rack, I'd suggest that in addition to the screws, washers, sealant and trim plates, you might want to make sure you have:

The cordless drill charged.
A drill bit and screw extractor.
A few M8 rivnuts, a tool to set them and an 11mm drill bit.

Last edited:

I know the price is pretty high on the Gobi Stealth but I would argue worth it. I wasn't sure how much I would use it and if it was worth it but we use it all the time for so many different things. I got mine with the sunroof insert too. The fact that you can walk on it is what has made it so useful and easy to use. Here are a few pics. The second is fully loaded after our Larbor day weekend camp trip this year. Really easy to load and it looks great. I have subsequently purchased the medium sized Gladiator Cargo Net which is way better than the tarp and tie downs of this picture. IMAG1922.jpg IMAG2050.jpg

I know the price is pretty high on the Gobi Stealth but I would argue worth it. I wasn't sure how much I would use it and if it was worth it but we use it all the time for so many different things. I got mine with the sunroof insert too. The fact that you can walk on it is what has made it so useful and easy to use. Here are a few pics. The second is fully loaded after our Larbor day weekend camp trip this year. Really easy to load and it looks great. I have subsequently purchased the medium sized Gladiator Cargo Net which is way better than the tarp and tie downs of this picture. View attachment 1144382 View attachment 1144383

Also my 100 is a 99 LX. I mistakenly bought the Land Cruiser roof rack which is different from the LX rack. It takes a small mod to the rain gutter trim piece but I like it better luckily. FYI, there are 3 mounting points on the LC version and 4 on the LX version. However the front LX mounts are double sided taped to the roof which doesn't seem great to me.

Does the roof drip moulding p/n 75557-60010 fit and work for LX models as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom