Factory roof rack removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used the 12mm on my 2001 that has four bolt holes. 2 were ok and two barely caught the threads. I say get the the 20 since they will be covered and you can get a good waterproof washer or two on it too. Steve

oh, anybody need a factory rack with faded OEM black paint rails? I'm in New Hampshire.

Quick question...can you remove the cross bars with our removing the rails?

Got it..thanks

I removed my rack. i have the normal 3 spots on each side that need a cover. plus i have a 3.5 inch gap in front of where the front foot of the roof rack went. what goes in this spot?

When I took my covers off, I broke 3 out of 4 of the corner covers. The two covers for the center popped right off. The others I had to wiggle back and forth, and up and still broke them. I weigh 205 lbs and I was putting a LOT of ass into trying to get those off. Not easy, at least mine weren't.

The factory rails are actually pretty stout. Which actually suprised me when I got the whole thing off and had a look at it. Can't compare with my new rack though :)

I removed my rack. i have the normal 3 spots on each side that need a cover. plus i have a 3.5 inch gap in front of where the front foot of the roof rack went. what goes in this spot?

I had asked about that same gap last year. Apparently, the gap is there to stay.

Also, just for reference, my 2004 was bolted on with regular bolts, not torx.

oh man the gap is there to stay? that sucks. also mine was bolted on with regular bolts also.

Also, just for reference, my 2004 was bolted on with regular bolts, not torx.

Correct... I found that out after I went and bought a Torx driver and it was bolts. Oh well I got a new tool anyway :)

LandCruisers4Life so u also have the gap and u have not found a fix for it?

LandCruisers4Life so u also have the gap and u have not found a fix for it?

It's there, but I am smarter than the Cruiser, so I re-used the rubber from my factory roof rail set up with my roof rack. See pictures below of the front and rear corners where my ARB roof mounts come up through the rubber, and the sub-frame I built is attached. My install is sano.

Front:
S7300504.jpg

Rear:
S7300505.jpg

Finished product:
S7300531.jpg

gotcha doesnt help me though. im looking for a fix for the gap with no, aka sans, roof rack

By "gap," are you referring to the exposed nuts/holes left by the rack after removed? If so, the answer was back on the first page.

No, there is a piece of aluminum that goes in the gutter, and it doesn't go all the way to the front of the gutter. I dunno why, but it's kind of stupid. The rubber pieces under the factory rack mounts (see my pics) cover that 'gap' which is just forward of the front mount holes. I took the rubber from under the factory rack, and cut the holes bigger to allow the mounts from ARB to fit without disturbing the rubber. Also, there were little rubber tits I cut off with a pair of sharp scissors. When I got ready for the mounts to be installed, I put the mounts on, then slid the rubber pieces over. Before putting in place, I applied black PVC gasket maker to the roof where the rubber pieces would sit. So they are in essence, glued to the roof and cannot blow off or move.

Okay, I think I'll need a picture to completely understand this or I'll need to take mine apart. But right now, I'll just let it go till the day comes where I need to know.

hoser look at my first picture up there. See the rubber cover? The end which is more towards the right side of the picture is towards the front of my cruiser. So imagine about an inch or two in front of where my rack mount goes through the rubber forward, as being without that aluminum strip under there. The rubber piece covers this gap.

hoser look at my first picture up there. See the rubber cover? The end which is more towards the right side of the picture is towards the front of my cruiser. So imagine about an inch or two in front of where my rack mount goes through the rubber forward, as being without that aluminum strip under there. The rubber piece covers this gap.

Doesn't your front mounting point look the same as the pic below? Maybe the newer 03+ 100's are different. If it is the same, you can buy a cover that fills this void.
Front PS mount area.jpg

No that's not what they're speaking of Greg. The hole you see there is through that aluminum cover that goes over the 'rain gutter' on top. Up at the front it comes up short several inches. I might have a picture, but I'll have to dig around.

See where the strip comes to an end there just forward of the hole to access your roof holes? From the end of that strip forward on the newer models there is just exposed 'rain gutter'. Also I don't remember my aluminum strip being tapered down to look like it integrated to the roof like yours, but just 'chopped off' looking on the end. Anyway, I'll try to find a picture.

Below is a link to hks3sgte original post about the gap.

[thread=191764] Mind the Gap [/thread]

There are photos there and it is nice to reference for those who would like to find something for the gap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom