Factory roof rack removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to add to this thread for those who have three mounts per side for the factory roof rack. After removing the four corner covers and bolts, slide the entire rack back a half inch or so to remove it from the center mounts on each side. It will then come completely off. This will expose the bolts in the center mounts which can then be removed. This was for a 1999 LC.

Just to add to this thread for those who have three mounts per side for the factory roof rack. After removing the four corner covers and bolts, slide the entire rack back a half inch or so to remove it from the center mounts on each side. It will then come completely off. This will expose the bolts in the center mounts which can then be removed. This was for a 1999 LC.

Were you able to remove the 4 corner covers without breaking them? I read the instructions but after trying to remove them I don't see how they will come off without cracking.

Any tips?

Were you able to remove the 4 corner covers without breaking them? I read the instructions but after trying to remove them I don't see how they will come off without cracking.

Any tips?

I used a pocket screwdriver and inserted it at the top of the rubber trim, there's a seam at the bottom of the black plastic trim piece where you can slide it in and pry up. It shouldn't be that hard, ours is a 98 and all four corners came loose with ease.

I ordered 6 of the cover pieces where the roof rack mounts were, and when I got them from Toyota there were sort of bent which made them sort of difficult to install. After a day in the 90+ degree weather, I was able to clip them in flush with the rest of the moulding.

Any tips?

They won't break, but do take force to pop off. I used a plastic trim tool to pry at the bottom and snap them loose. Don't be afraid.

Yup - PM me, I just took mine off and am ready to sell it.

Does the same approach work for an 06 LX470?

Ie can 06 LX470 racks be fitted to the 06 landcruiser?

Thanks

'06 LX rack has 4 feet while the land cruiser has 6. My '98 LX has 6 feet though.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the 4 corner covers for the rack (2001 100)? I'm talking about the covers that go on the rack, not the ones that cover the mounting holes when the rack is removed. Apparently, either I didn't snap them on firmly enough or someone stole them, but I have two missing and would like to get them replaced. Thx. :beer:

Rob

Trying to reply to someone who PMed me and I cant seem to reply to his offer to sell.

Is there a problem with Pming at the moment?

Three other things that might save time...

The fsm picture is not clear, but the covers need to be pulled off at a 45-degree angle toward the outside of the truck...halfway between pulling off straight up and straight to the side.

The covers may come off with the spring bushing fastener thingy stuck to the cover...it needs to be pried off and replaced on the mount if you're reinstalling the cover.

Other thing...fsm procedure calls for a T30 bit to remove the rack fasteners (rack mounts to roof), it's actually a T40...at least on my '01 LX.

Steve

2000 LX 470 has four feet for roof rack mounts but there is another set of mounts under a black cover in between the four oem mounts. This cover has 3 bolts under it when removed.

Does anyone know if this is so you can install a 6 footed rack to an LX or are they for something else entirely?

I am getting one of the first BajaRacks for 100 series but want to make sure and working with John G. to make sure it will work before shipping. I will be taking pics today for him to see it but hoping someone had done it before and put a 6 footed rack on an LX body like mine...

there are mounts forward of the front feet of your 4footed rack that you would use for the baja rack, after trimming back the plastic insert. the cover that you see between your two feet is for the middle one on the 3foot rack.

okay i found two bolts under trim by lifting slightly towards front where circled by sunroof...then there is the snap in piece of plastic where circled in rear that has three bolts under it....and guessing there is another mounting location either where arrow is located or further forward in rain gutter channel but thinking it does not make sense to go that far forward due to curve of roof and one by sunroof is enough.

I am sure it will be crystal clear once I remove roof rack and pull the plastic strips away. Thanks for all the input.
5187.jpg
5191.jpg
5189.jpg

Hmm. Is there a trick to removing the plastic strips inside the rain gutter channels without damaging them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom