F engine vs. 2F engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am picking up two Fj40s this weekend and have a few questions. The late 602 Fj runs and is in good shape, not alot of rust. I have been reading up on the original specs and see it has the F engine. Is that a bad thing? I ask because the Fj has been sitting for years and will more than likley need a rebuild. I keep reading that the 2F is a great upgrade to the older Fjs but why? I see they have 20 or so more horsepower but is that the only difference? Is the F engine reliable or are there issues with the way it was engineered?
The second FJ I got is a 1977 so I was hopeing to get the 2F engine but someone swapped the engine and stuck an F engine in it as well as a 3 speed.
If the 2F is the way to go does anyone know where to get one? I am in Abilene Texas.
Thanks

I don't think the F engines are bad, they're supposed to be pretty reliable though the oiling system they have is not on par with what the 1.5F and 2F engines have.

I would summarize it as: If you have a good running F engine, then there is no reason to replace it if you are happy with the performance you get from it. But, if you have to do a complete rebuild anyway, you are better off to pick up a 2F and rebuild it. The cost is basically the same and you end up with more cubic inches, more HP, a better oiling system and parts availability is better. There are lots of 2F engines available from wrecking yards and folks on this web site who are replacing them with V-8's, etc.

Run whatcha brung....if they run well, drive 'em til they die....then talk about rebuild or replacement. In the meantime, you'll learn the unique traits of driving cruisers and you'll be able to make a better decision about what you want to put in there when the time comes...

I love my original F engine in my 72. It has always been reliable but when I get ready to tear it down this winter I am going to look for a 74 1.5F "Transition" engine as they have the best of both worlds in reliability and oiling systems. The only challenge is finding someone who has one to sell?

Go with the 2F if there's any question of a rebuild. I just replaced my 'rebuilt' F with a F.5 and I can't tell you how reassuring it is to look down and see oil pressure when sitting at idle. Knowing all the oil is being filtered is just a bonus.

I put a lot of good miles on my F engine, before finally swapping out for a 2F.

So there is an oil issue with the F engine. Is it the design of the oir porting through out the engine or can the oil pump be upgraded to a higher volume/pressure pump? I hadnt heard about the 1.5 engine. Is that a 4.2 also? I guess since I will have two F engines I will stick with it for now. Will any year 2f be a bolt in, theres no 40s in the junk yards around here but there maybe some later model cruisers with 4.2. Can I use one of these with F engine intake, carb, distributer, ect. Thanks alot for the info. I will post some pics as soon as I get them to the house. If you have a 2F you want to part with please let me know.

First off the F engine is cool :cool:

On an F engine changing the oil a bit more often helps with the filtration issue.
Many F engines have over 200,000 miles and still going. They are reliable as the sun coming up when maintained. Just like ANY engine will be.

The F engine has a heavier flywheel which aids with low end torque. A properly tuned F engine it will idle down to very low RPM's. Think crawling... Not that the 2F won't idle low but the F does it better. The trade off is the spring style clutch used with this flywheel is not as smooth as the diaphragm style used with the lighter flywheel. A lot of folks claim they would gladly trade the extra torque for the smoother clutch. Either clutch can be used with either engine but you have to use all the associated parts. You can't use a spring style clutch with a diaphragm style flywheel for example.

You can interchange a lot of parts between the engines.

I use an aluminum 76 valve cover as the old stamped covers are prone to leaking due to over tightening. I also use a 2F FJ60 1987 complete ignition system.

Alternators will swap with a few wiring changes.

Water pumps/fans/shrouds will swap as long as you swap all at once. I run a 2F pump/fan/shroud to allow me to have mini-truck power steering.

There are other parts that can be swapped, but this post is getting long... ;)

I am still running the original F in my 72. Like Coolerman said, little more low end torque is nice. My bud has a 78 and it seems like i can "lug" mine a little more than he can. I am definately looking for a swap in the future, but until she gives way, I'm sticking with her!!!

f to 2f

Nothing wrong with a running engine. In my case I went to a fairly low mileage 2f because I am moving overseas for 5 years.

the 2f 4 speed is a pretty popular swap and does not seem to bother even the purists

There are other options like a small block chevy for instance that a lot of people have done ---loads of info on that

diesel swaps are less common but done

I even saw a 454 in an FJ!

I found my 2f, 4 speed, and transfer case on here in the classifieds and got it as a package deal

shipping is not as outrageous as you think if you get a good price

check the classifieds section and you will find a motor or look under parting out for the whole drive train

if your 1F is running and you have the time and money it may be a chance to rebuild the 2f and install it when you are ready

My first 71 1F went 240,000 maybe a bit more the odometer did not work all the time, with no problems at all

My decision has been made. I am swaping a F engine for a F2. What should I do about the tranny? Would it make sense to go with a 4 speed on the floor instead of a 3 on the tree. I want to keep as stock as possible with my frame off restoration. If 3rd gear is equal to 4th then maybe stay with 3 on the tree.

George
Thanks in advance Coolerman, I know you have the right answer.

My decision has been made. I am swaping a F engine for a F2. What should I do about the tranny? Would it make sense to go with a 4 speed on the floor instead of a 3 on the tree. I want to keep as stock as possible with my frame off restoration. If 3rd gear is equal to 4th then maybe stay with 3 on the tree.

George
Thanks in advance Coolerman, I know you have the right answer.

This might help you out: TLC FAQ - 8.1 Transmission & transfer Case Ratios (All :1)

If you are doing the 2F swap, by all means do the 4 speed swap also. If you do a lot of in town driving, the extra gear can make a lot of difference. Also 1st gear in the 4 speed is a bit lower. If you combine that with the older t-case you already have, you will have a tad lower crawl ratio as well. Another thing, the 4 speed is a MUCH smoother shifting tranny and is fully synchronized. No more having to come to a dead stop to shift to first.

My F seems to get better mileage than 2F's

Ok I dont mean to be Stealing this thread, BUT!!

I am convinced. Who has a 4 speed tranny for my 69 fj40? I will do some searches tonight to find out my answers. The 4 speed needs to fit into the TC I have and I will find out what else I need and how much can I expect it to cost for the swap. Again Thankyou Coolerman, "the one with all the answers"

George

Your are going to need a conversion kit for the H41 or H42 4 speed transmissions to fit into the 3 speed transfer case you also need to obtain an 4 speed bell housing, lengthen the transfer case linkage because the transfer case has been moved toward the rear (I added the difference between the 4 speed) you can keep the 1f fly wheel and 3 finger clutch or use the 2f flywheel and diaphragm clutch.
also the vacuum hose needs to be lengthen also cut and lengthen & shorten the drive lines :wrench:. what's nice you use all Toyota parts and It's mostly bolt Up.

4spdkit.jpg

Link Marks Off Road Home Page

I love my original F engine in my 72. It has always been reliable but when I get ready to tear it down this winter I am going to look for a 74 1.5F "Transition" engine as they have the best of both worlds in reliability and oiling systems. The only challenge is finding someone who has one to sell?

the PO on my 71 fj40 replaced the original engine with a 74 1.5F with 64k miles on it. It runs perfect but need more power

holy batman thread revival :lol:

that said, search for "too stupid to die" opinion on the 1F motor . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom