Expedition BJ74 Buildup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All:

Looking good Bruce!

Keep it coming - great thread!

Regards,

Alan
70/75 Series deprived

I got a bunch of help yesterday and we were able to get the axles in. I've been looking forward to this part for quite a while now and I'm really glad to have that heavy work done.
IMG_3004_1.sized.jpg
IMG_3009_1.sized.jpg
IMG_3014_1.sized.jpg

The side panel constuction starts tonight. They will flip open for access to the wheelwell space. Hopefully there will be room for a yellow top optima and an air top webasto down there.

Here is the elevation from the rear.

Where did you learn to draw! You don't put dimensions inside of your object.

Other than that..nice build Bruce! I might even have to subscribe.

Wow, looks great! How about a shot from the side?

Your doggie needs a pair of welding goggles.

{edit due to poster blindness}

From the last photo it looks nice and low. Did you de-arch the front springs at all?

Looks good.

Last edited:
It's still under tent city while I finish the rollcage so the poser shots will have to wait until next weekend. Between then and now I have address the following...

Shocks, (Peter and Marc made the hoops already)
Brakelines
Connect parking brake
Have drive shafts lengthened
Modify crossmember
Tap the DOM for the tierod and draglink
Retaper the pitman arm
Reconnect fuel lines (relocated to facilitate hydraulic tank install)

That'll get it moving.

Then,
Winch stuff...
Install hyrdaulic tank
Connect hydraulic lines
Build PTO shaft
reconfigure PTO to face rearward
Install fairlead
splice hook onto Amsteel blue

Rollcage, rack stuff

Finish welding halo of cage
Create mount on cage leg for third battery
Intall spreader bars, side and front.
Weld plate gussets for roof rack mounting.
build roof rack,
Mount Roof top tent
Mount NATO Cans or spare tire (undecided)
Find a place for whatever does not end up on roof. (tire on door maybe)

Bumpers

Need new frame connections front and back
Need new towpoints, back

That's all that's possible before we head to AK in a week and a half :eek:

Looking GREAT Bruce!

We had or first outing with the Toyos. 1200km on the weekend and they worked well on the road and back roads of Northern Sask. I gained 4mpg over the XMLs!! I think you will really like them.

I haven't tried them out in the skeg yet....we'll see how that goes.

Looking GREAT Bruce!

We had or first outing with the Toyos. 1200km on the weekend and they worked well on the road and back roads of Northern Sask. I gained 4mpg over the XMLs!! I think you will really like them.

I haven't tried them out in the skeg yet....we'll see how that goes.

It's nice of hear about the mileage improvement. I wasn't expecing that much.

I'm really nervous to see how the tires do in the muck. I'm not expecting Bogger performance but if they act like MTRs, I'm doomed.

What size did you end up with Brad?

Your doggie needs a pair of welding goggles.

Yeah, it was storming out and he's got a policy to be within a meter of me when its lightning. I guess he figures I'll get struck first because I'm taller.

I agree, if they are like the MTRs I am in big trouble. I guess I can always groove them up to open up the tread.

I went with the 38x14.5R16 on a 10" wide rim and 4.5" BS with the sky kit up front and spacers in the rear. Some rubbing on the front inner fender, but not bad. The combo is 25lbs lighter per tire compared to the XML. So that's a 100lbs of rotating mass gone. My rig made over 20mpg, I haven't seen that since it was stock.

Oh, and the measure .5" shorter then the worn XMLs on the truck. I wish they where a little taller.

Good luck on getting everything together for your trip.

The good news is you left yourself lots of time for field testing before heading off on any sort of LONG trip...:D

I'm really nervous to see how the tires do in the muck. I'm not expecting Bogger performance but if they act like MTRs, I'm doomed.

Did you decide aginst the trailer full of tractor tires for AK?

Did you post somewhere your AK schedule? If not, can you fill me in? I got yard space in Fairbanks if you need a place to crash; shower, restock your supplies, ect..:D I will mostlikely only be home in Fairbanks on the weekends though:frown: I will be in Anchorage during the week and could let you use a shower and stuff. Would be great to be able to meet you and your rig:)

Stephan

You're on holidays the next 1.5 weeks, before the real holiday starts...right?

gb

It's still under tent city while I finish the rollcage so the poser shots will have to wait until next weekend. Between then and now I have address the following...

Shocks, (Peter and Marc made the hoops already)
Brakelines
Connect parking brake
Have drive shafts lengthened
Modify crossmember
Tap the DOM for the tierod and draglink
Retaper the pitman arm
Reconnect fuel lines (relocated to facilitate hydraulic tank install)

That'll get it moving.

Then,
Winch stuff...
Install hyrdaulic tank
Connect hydraulic lines
Build PTO shaft
reconfigure PTO to face rearward
Install fairlead
splice hook onto Amsteel blue

Rollcage, rack stuff

Finish welding halo of cage
Create mount on cage leg for third battery
Intall spreader bars, side and front.
Weld plate gussets for roof rack mounting.
build roof rack,
Mount Roof top tent
Mount NATO Cans or spare tire (undecided)
Find a place for whatever does not end up on roof. (tire on door maybe)

Bumpers

Need new frame connections front and back
Need new towpoints, back

Well Bruce, your list makes me feel better about mine. ;)

I've got all of the big stuff handled, but I'm left with a laundry list of smaller jobs still. I pushed the start time back to far in favor of working on rigs for paying customers.

Sounds like you're not hauling tractor tires along with you? Are you planning on bringing the trailer along (I seem to remember you were doing a tent trailer thing with it)?

I'd be a little leery of how those tires will perform in the softer stuff. But who knows... We've got a couple of shorter sections that we know will be boggy. A couple of longer sections that will be muddy, but shouldn't be a problem. Once we pass about 75-80 miles we'll be in unknown country. I know from eyeballing through a spotting scope and sat photos that we've got a pretty rocky area right after that as we climb through the pass between Goose and Gilbert Creeks. Beyond there... No idea if it will be rocky, muddy, tundra or something else (Probably a pretty fair mix of all of that).

Anyway, more aggressive tires couldn't be a bad thing on this run. But worse comes to worse we'll just have to toss you the strap a little more often. ;)

Stephan, I'm pretty sure that Bruce is heading straight to the trail head from home and then heading back as soon as we get back to the road.

Mark...

Yeah fellas, I have an ace in the hole. I have a heck of a good and talented bunch of pals who will help me get my arse out of a sling! We'll see how many of them will do it on a long weekend when they should be wheeling.

I secretly believe that these tires will work OK in all but the most chewed up muskeg. If I can get in behind the trail boss and straddle the tracks I think we can keep up the momentum. I haven't asked but I'm pretty sure Crushers would lend me his tractor tires if I needed them. I had planned to not bring the trailer and that would still be my preference but if we run out of time it would answer some questions like "Where to carry four jerry cans?" "Where to mount the spare tire?". and " Do I have to get the roof rack finished before we leave? I wonder if we can pull it in for the first couple of days and then abandon it with the return fuel and all but the most critical supplies and rally without it for the middle four or five days. Alternately, we could leave it at the Roadhouse. I am carrying 150' of rope on the hydraulic winch and I mounted the handle in the truck this time (rather than through the hood) so I can winch and drive without someone sitting on the hood.

I would not loose any sleep over the tires. Only gonna be four rigs and aftere the first day, the only traffic on the "trail" is a once yearly visit by a couple of buggy drivers. Once we reach their hunting camp, I expect to be in virgin country so the only "chewing" will be what we do. The other rigs are all on 40 or 42 inch Boggers or Swampers so the primary approach is gonna be crawl through/over the soft stuff. 95%+ your tires will be more than suitable. You may just have to work a little harder int he other 5%.

Currently I am expecting to pull an M416 with fuel and gear in to about the 75 mile mark. I'm sure that there will be room for some of your stuff if need be, or a bit of diesel too.

Mark...

Bruce,
the tractor tires are yours for ht easking...i have 6 mounted up ready to go...
but i would like to know ASAP when you know...

Bruce,
the tractor tires are yours for ht easking...i have 6 mounted up ready to go...
but i would like to know ASAP when you know...

Thanks, Wayne I'll know more this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom