Expedition BJ74 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All:

Bruce, isn't the back spacing on those rims "wrong" for a solid front axle, disc brake Land Cruiser? Are you gonna run wheel spacers up front??

Regards,

Alan

The 4.5" backspacing helps narrow the wide 60 series axles and limits some of the for and aft travel when turning. This lets me get away from too much fender trimming. Clearance to the TREs and calipers is helped by the 17 rim diameter. Therefor no wheel spacers are required (I hope)

The 4.5" backspacing helps narrow the wide 60 series axles and limits some of the for and aft travel when turning. This lets me get away from too much fender trimming. Clearance to the TREs and calipers is helped by the 17 rim diameter. Therefor no wheel spacers are required (I hope)

Nice tires dude .. but you are qa winner with those wheels ! are awesome !

How do like the fit on those rims Bruce? I just got an e-mail on the weekend from Toyo Canada that they will be offereing the 38x13.5 in a 17" rim. I am just a little concerned about the 7.5" FJ rim width.

Build is looking great.

Update on the wheels. I got the axle together and tried a wheel on only to find the that front part of the luke arms (where the drag link connects) hits the tire. I need about 1/2" less BS. I pondered cutting and welding the arm but quickly decided that I didn't have access to a welder that I'd put up to that. I've been using a Miller 135 that is fine for the little stuff. In the end I ordered up a SKY mfg wide track kit and picked up some IFS hubs at the wrecker. I'll match it with some wheel spacers on the back for now and might try to widetrack the back using ifs hubs later in conjuction with a disc brake conversion.

Brad I think the FJC wheels are about an inch narrow. You can see a bit of crown in the tread. I'm going to run them anyway and will know after I put 10,000kms on in July whether it was a bad plan or not. I think I remember a vender that takes aluminum rims and machines them for a beadlock. I should look into that.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/
frontaxlenarrow.jpg
frontaxlewide.jpg

That's good to know about the arms hitting.

I am running the Sky kit with Luke's arms so I am very interested in what you think of the fit of the rims when you get it done.

Have fun in Alaska, are you going for Vacation or Wheeling trip? We are hoping to get up there for Mark's Alaska Trek 08 with the HJ61.

Bruce, the 70 front shock lower mount goes to the rear of the spring plate. This sets the line of the shock quite a bit back from the centre line of the axle. With the knuckle gusset kit you are going to the centre line of the axle on the bottom of the shock. I assume you are also going to shift the axle a bit forward as the limit size for the stock location is about 35 inches in a SUA.

Is the SOA enough to permit you to run the tires and what do you feel about the non-vertical nature of the shock and the distortion of the upper mount that may result from it?

Care to comment?

Bruce, the 70 front shock lower mount goes to the rear of the spring plate. This sets the line of the shock quite a bit back from the centre line of the axle. With the knuckle gusset kit you are going to the centre line of the axle on the bottom of the shock. I assume you are also going to shift the axle a bit forward as the limit size for the stock location is about 35 inches in a SUA.

Is the SOA enough to permit you to run the tires and what do you feel about the non-vertical nature of the shock and the distortion of the upper mount that may result from it?

Care to comment?

You're right. The stock shock towers have to go. They are crappy anyway, I busted them off my BJ70. I'll make some hoops out of 1.5" tube. The axle is going forward about 2"

What are you using for a bulb? I have been to two Trucklight dealers with no luck on a 24V bulb. Some how I left one witha set of $200 OFFROAD only no dot Hella lights. They are going back. Need bulbfor TL 27005.

Zach

What are you using for a bulb? I have been to two Trucklight dealers with no luck on a 24V bulb. Some how I left one witha set of $200 OFFROAD only no dot Hella lights. They are going back. Need bulbfor TL 27005.

Zach

Gregg distributors ~$5 each.

Update. I went to put the front axle assembly together and found out the knuckle kits I ordered don't have the metal wiper pieces so that's on hold till I get the parts from Toyota on Tues.

I decided to build a rear bumper instead.

I started with a piece of plate that I had bent up a few weeks ago for the purpose and went from there. I wanted it to be repeatable and bolt-on so I kept the end of frame intact and fastened the bumper using the pintle holes. I'll add some mounts to the frame with tow points later. I'm pretty happy with how its turning out.
random_140.sized.jpg
random_142.sized.jpg
random_141.sized.jpg

Interesting... I like how you recessed it to use the pintle. I might have to incorporate that in the one that is being made for me right now. I need to have a receiver on mine so I can use my bike rack and then attach the pintle for the trailer.

Thanks!

After I saw that, the same thought was running through my mind but was being too polite to comment. :D

-kevin

Gonna cut slots in the front and rear bumpers for the T of the highlift to fit in and make safe lifting on the trail?

Norm , Kev

I thought I'd be able to design a kit of parts that folks could weld together themselves much like 4x4labs does with their 80 series bumpers. It seems to be getting a bit convoluted now so I'm not sure the kit will happen but who knows? As much as I wanted to completely rip off Luke's design, I just couldn't see 70 series guys wanting to hack out the end of their frames. That would be the way to do it and allow the use of a reciever.

Greg, I'll need some way to make the bumper work with the high lift, for sure. I'll probably holesaw a couple of circles in it. Cutting a "t" only works well on level ground and won't be too useful if you want to jack up the truck and push it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom