Expedition BJ74 Buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really Like the rear cargo trays Bruce! I've been planning something similar. My issue is what to do with the fridge. Once it's on top of the deck it more difficult to get into the fridge. I'm undecided as to forgo the larger dwawer and sink in the fridge and make another lift cubbie.

Are you planning a fridge?

Yeah, my freezer/fridge is a 40 qt one that isn't terribly tall. I'm going to mount it on a slide that I found at Lee valley. It needs a bit of modification but I think it'll work. I should be able to pull it all the way out and then lift it off onto a picnic table for example.
fridge slide.jpg

good work BRUCE, i really like seeing the thead get updated thanks
aaron

I'll be curious to hear how you like it. I've thought about putting mine on a slide like that too but for the most part I NEVER take my fridge out of the cruiser and put it on a park bench etc. It's pretty heavy esp when full. So I'm not sure how much i'd like getting into it with it that high on the slides and on the deck.

Definatly let us know how it works out! :)

Hey Bruce, nice drawer system!

Perfect size and shape IMOP One thing I noticed is the grab handles you used to open I think will rattle quite a bit. Not a biggie..... But they might dance a little when your on gravel...

Yes I'm a noise freak :)

I like that carpet you used too. Matches the truck nicely.

Hey Bruce, nice drawer system!

Perfect size and shape IMOP One thing I noticed is the grab handles you used to open I think will rattle quite a bit. Not a biggie..... But they might dance a little when your on gravel...

Yes I'm a noise freak :)

I like that carpet you used too. Matches the truck nicely.

Thanks BB

The handles are a temporary thing since I have some locking paddle latches to install (for when there's guns in there) and I'm going to replace the rattles with those fold down steps they use on school bus cowls. They will make good handles but also steps for when I'm packing up the roof tent.

I agree that the carpet is very similar to stock and works just perfect IMO

Oh ya, good for guns for sure. That Skinny side would be great for that. Nice and hidden. Out of sight out of mind.

In fact looking in the windows it will just look like the floor. No one will suspect the box has contents.

I guess its tnme for an update. I've been working on a lot of stuff but haven't really finished anything in the last few weeks. Today, however, I did manage to drag the bumper off the parts rig (that's now sold) and move it to my truck. I also swapped the chrome mirrors for some nice new black ones. I painted the grill black as well. I think the truck looks much better now.

I have been working on the axles. I stripped the front and painted some of the parts. I hope to have the perches gussets and shock mounts on tomorrow. and then I'll reassemble them. I have all new bearings, seals rotors calipers etc.

Anyway heres' a few pictures.
random 102s.jpg
random 105s.jpg
random 106s.jpg

I did a bit of measuring and realized that I can do this springover on 60 series axles without outboarding the springs. Since time is tight, just fabbing mounts on the housings and dropping them on the bottom of the leafs is preferable in spite of my previous pontification about four links and airbags. That'll have to be a project for another year.

I was able to hack a chunk out of the housing and insert a piece of angle which will form the spring perch.
random 117s.jpg
random 118s.jpg
random 123s.jpg

Kuddos Bruce, not sure if its been done before, but like anything it may have been, just never seen it on the net.

Nice fab work.

Rob

Hey Bruce, not doing a cut & turn on that housing?

...and the Fj45 is still waiting for Lowenbrau's attention....

Kuddos Bruce, not sure if its been done before, but like anything it may have been, just never seen it on the net.

Nice fab work.

Rob

Yeah, Rob I'm not the first guy to put 60 axles under a 70 or 40 but I have no idea how they did it. This is my idea of how to keep it as low as possible.

Hey Bruce, not doing a cut & turn on that housing?

...and the Fj45 is still waiting for Lowenbrau's attention....

I nearly started turning the housing today but decided to try it as-is first. Peter managed to run his unturned by clearancing the u-joint a bit before he put the Toybox in. I plan to add a Toybox soon too so I'd be willing to run limiting straps until then if I need to.

The poor 45 is now outside for the first time in prolly 15 years. I *have* to build a garage for it.

Looking good Bruce,
Do you think cutting the housing like that would work for a 40 series too, or would you have to cut further, making it impossible?
Cheers,
Deny

You might find it easier to use bolts instead of U-bolts and thread into your perch/plate, or add nuts where possible.

A C&T would give you the added benefit of a better caster angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom