Exhaust question / muffler delete or Flowmaster (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wanting a little rumble exhaust sound and don't want to spend the money for a DT exhaust system. Has anyone done a muffler delete? any problems with this? Also thinking about a Flomaster muffler but not sure the route I want to go. My 100 is not my DD so not worried about getting tired of the sound. If it was, I probably wouldn't consider it. Any other options out there?

Thanks

I have deleted my muffler and straight piped it. I also have a K&N cold air kit. I think it has the right amount of rumble and very little drone on long highway trips

I have deleted my muffler and straight piped it. I also have a K&N cold air kit. I think it has the right amount of rumble and very little drone on long highway trips
Are you talking about deleting the MUFFLER or the RESONATOR? I feel if you delete the muffler, you're gonna have a helluva lot more noise than a rumble and a simple DRONE!! amirite?

To clarify... I deleted, from the tail pipe moving towards the front, the first "canister" located above the rear axle. Call it what you want....

try a flowmaster super 10 and delete the resonator, loved that setup on my GX470

I added a 50 series flow master, 2 in , 1 out right after the Cat. The pipe is cut and angled down right after the unit. It sounds really good, mellow, not too deep, but mean if you floor it and get into higher RPM's . The 50 series cost a little more than the common 40, but the 40 would have been too loud.

I got rid of my resonator (the 'canister' towards the very end of the exhaust system) and it sounds great. I love it, especially when starting up and driving around parking lots/neighborhoods at 5-20mph. Took a few days to get totally used to it, but I can't imagine going back now.

I pulled the muffler and had a straight pipe welded in its place, left the resonator attached. It's not very loud until you get on it

I just had it done today so not sure yet. It really isn't bad in the cab. I kept my muffler just in case I get over it.

I did one Flow Master 40 and duals from there with no Resonator. Not sure what the dual tips do but they seem to provide two nice notes together. It is loud at start up, burbles at high/cold idle then settles to a nice low rumble at warm idle. The drone at highway speeds is noticeable but I like it. Not for a mom-wagon but great for a toy /weekend truck.

I personally have never been a huge fan of flow masters, once again I say personally. I think 9/10 times they sound like crap. With a actual performance, turbo style muffler, you have a straight through flow design that has packing material around a perforated core. Where as flow masters are internally baffled and actually restrict the flow of air through the muffler body around the baffling to achieve their sound. From personal experience I believe you will get more bang for your buck if you go with a performance turbo style muffle, little to no resonance, and slight, noticeable slow speed drivability improvement, and it will sound real good.

I'm partial to a brand called flo-pro I've used their products on multiple vehicles. I have one of their mufflers welded in place of my stock one on my 2000. I could potentially take a video later today of a cold start and then accelerating and on the highway. Once again each their own, I think you will be happier with something in there besides a straight pipe and besides you want some back pressure on the 4.7, it needs all the help it can get torque and power wise.:worms:

I had a magnaflow installed in place of the stock muffler and eliminated the resinator very similar to above and it's great cost/sound/performance blend... <$200

If you don't mind, please post a video so we can hear it.

Thanks

I added a 50 series flow master, 2 in , 1 out right after the Cat. The pipe is cut and angled down right after the unit. It sounds really good, mellow, not too deep, but mean if you floor it and get into higher RPM's . The 50 series cost a little more than the common 40, but the 40 would have been too loud.
DJ, I looked up that 50 Series - it says they designed it as a "compact" unit for passenger cars, not trucks or SUVs.
I'm interested in kinda the same sound output, any idea why would they say that?

Not sure where you read that, but per the Flowmaster website it states its a Mild application for large engine trucks, SUV's and RV's. you can also see on their website where each units falls on their spectrum. I have always had 40 series flow masters on my past vehicles (06 Tacoma, 2010 Tundra) and I just knew I wanted something quieter now that I am a little bit older. I will take a video and post for you guys. Also, Don't believe any mumbo jumbo about the gas mileage improvement.

Flowmaster 50 SERIES BIG BLOCK MUFFLERS - * FREE GROUND SHIPPING

Yeah. I was looking at flowmaster website, but the "Delta" series...thanks for the tip. I'm ordering one up!

Not sure where you read that, but per the Flowmaster website it states its a Mild application for large engine trucks, SUV's and RV's. you can also see on their website where each units falls on their spectrum. I have always had 40 series flow masters on my past vehicles (06 Tacoma, 2010 Tundra) and I just knew I wanted something quieter now that I am a little bit older. I will take a video and post for you guys. Also, Don't believe any mumbo jumbo about the gas mileage improvement.

Flowmaster 50 SERIES BIG BLOCK MUFFLERS - * FREE GROUND SHIPPING
This went on your '99 I'm guessing - I gotta go do get dirty, some measuring now on my '05

Here's just a quick cold start I will post a driving clip later. It's fairly windy here today, sorry about all background noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom