Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I actually sent them an email a few days ago. Said it's still in the works, but no ETA yet
I spoke to them last week and was well convinced to move on to their Titan Blackbox rather than wait for the landcruiser version. I think those waiting may never see the doubler come to fruition.

:( a doubler would be king. Off subject, has anyone ever converted to a mini truck t-case via adapter, and done a doubler that way? Always wondered about this... Anyone, feel free to chime in. Yes I see the LC gears are much more stout, but a mini tcase, doubled with shafts upgraded should handle responsible wheeling duties

That would be great, I cannot wait for it to hit the market. Marlin's gears and 5.29's aren't terrible, but they aren't great either.

Yeah, I haven't driven a truck with the Marlin gears but the gear reduction you get seems too little for the price you pay. I'm gonna hold out as long as I can.

Found a pic from when I did the chop.

Thanks for the pics! That makes it much clearer now. I think I may still go the traditional slider route attached to the frame as I'll eventually do an exo and the sliders will help secure the cage overall.

@jcardona1 your email, was this regarding a doubler?

Yup

I spoke to them last week and was well convinced to move on to their Titan Blackbox rather than wait for the landcruiser version. I think those waiting may never see the doubler come to fruition.

What made you say that? They made one for the FJ60s, I'd say it's only a matter of time they make one for the 80s.

Yeah, I haven't driven a truck with the Marlin gears but the gear reduction you get seems too little for the price you pay. I'm gonna hold out as long as I can.

Thanks for the pics! That makes it much clearer now. I think I may still go the traditional slider route attached to the frame as I'll eventually do an exo and the sliders will help secure the cage overall.

Yup

What made you say that? They made one for the FJ60s, I'd say it's only a matter of time they make one for the 80s.
My conversation with Kris sounded like although development of the 80 series black box is "in the works" it's not something that is even near the front of their to do list.

Today I finished the rocker chop on the driver's side. Went pretty quick. Used a grinder with 4.5" cutting discs and a sawzall for the pillars. I think I'm going to cap off the entire rocker area with steel plate then build my sliders underneath. I still want a slider attached to the frame as I'll be making some fender railing that will attach to the sliders and eventually an exo cage. So I need something tied to the frame instead of just welding the sliders to the rocker.

Loving the difference in clearance. It's really impressive when you see how much room there is under the doors now. So far I rolled the lip back under the rocker and it looks pretty good. I may just leave it like this as it looks quite finished.

19264269199_1d610f0772_h.jpg

Big difference

19450419435_d2f467f339_h.jpg

From the ground to the bottom of the door sill now is 30"!!!

18827921944_34e5a113e0_h.jpg

And here's what it looks like after you cut everything away. I'll be sealing this back up, maybe with some 3/16" plate

18827924064_64709d379d_h.jpg

It's up to you but I wouldn't think anything more than 1/8" is necessary to plate that area. I'm undecided on whether to weld to the body or frame. It's an endless debate but I'm not sure you'd want a cage tied to the frame anyway.

What's your plan for the rear geometry? Started on that yet?

Jeep world uses body mounted rockers. I had no issues dragging my old jeep with them over rocks.

Today I finished the rocker chop on the driver's side. Went pretty quick. Used a grinder with 4.5" cutting discs and a sawzall for the pillars. I think I'm going to cap off the entire rocker area with steel plate then build my sliders underneath. I still want a slider attached to the frame as I'll be making some fender railing that will attach to the sliders and eventually an exo cage. So I need something tied to the frame instead of just welding the sliders to the rocker.

Loving the difference in clearance. It's really impressive when you see how much room there is under the doors now. So far I rolled the lip back under the rocker and it looks pretty good. I may just leave it like this as it looks quite finished.

Big difference

And here's what it looks like after you cut everything away. I'll be sealing this back up, maybe with some 3/16" plate

Thanks for posting these pics!!. I was wondering what it looked like in there. I had a 3rd gen 4Runner that I dented the rocker on before I got to put sliders on. I ended up cutting the rocker out just as you did under the doors except I left the pinch weld area. I welded in a piece of 3x6 x3/16" rectangular steel tube the full length on both sides of the truck. It came out awesome and was hardly noticeable. It gave me something to stand on and you could use a highlift anywhere down the side of the truck between the wheels without hitting the body. It looked really clean and had as much clearance as no rocker guards. i put them to good use a few times with no movement whatsoever. Anyways I have a rotted spot on the rocker of my 80 and was thinking about doing the same thing I did on my runner. But wondered what was under there and if I'd run into any issues. Thanks for putting that worry aside. Lol. And as always your truck looks sick!! A beast!!

Big difference

I think you are a smart man for considering an exocage as soon as possible. With the way you wheel this thing it is only a matter of time till you roll it and an exo really would save you from major damage. I would hate to see all your work damaged. Cheers to your ingenuity and awesome build!

Thanks for these pics! Makes the process to do this pretty clear. After seeing these, I almost just headed outside and started cutting on mine myself, but then got to thinking about the cat and exhaust routing outside the frame on the passenger side.

What's the plan for that side? Nevermind...sorry...just went back and read through your plan for the cats...

Last edited:
It's settled. Doing a slider-to-rocker. Just picked up a stick of 3/16" 2x6 which will give me a nice ledge under the doors. No turning back now because this piece of steel wasn't cheap.

3liuuoJh.jpg

:D
I have some 2x5 .188 on my side yard so I will be watching closely...

out of no where question .
how do you like your winch ? any disappointmet?

What did that stick cost you out west?

What's your plan for the rear geometry? Started on that yet?

Not yet, gonna put that on hold for a few months. Wondering if I should save my pennies and do coilovers too, just fix it all at once. And then other days I think about just going to leafs!

:D
I have some 2x5 .188 on my side yard so I will be watching closely...

That should work nicely too. Get the grinder out!

out of no where question .
how do you like your winch ? any disappointmet?

The few times I've used it it's worked great, no issues.

What did that stick cost you out west?

About $170 for a 20' stick. Going to use the left over for the rear bumper I plan on building along with the rear quarter chop.

How much does that weigh? Prime stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom