Builds Evolution of a Land Cruiser: My 80's build thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You also said "NO Way a fat 80 could fit through"... And sent me numerous clips showing tight sections....

Oh well... So did you day run it? You mentioned 4hrs of trail time.

And then you said it's all about picking the right lines and taking bypasses remember :) We got in late Saturday. Started the trail at about 3pm and wheeled for a few hours then camped at Fordyce lake. We went in through the Signal Peak exit road. It's a dirt/gravel road all the way back to Fordyce Lake. Right there is the Committee entrance/exit. It goes from 0 to gnarly in about 300yds. Then you cross Fordyce creek and are officially on the trail. The clips were of Winch Hill 1 further south. Most of the time my buddies run it they start at Eagle Lakes and exit Committee. Said they haven't gone all the way out because somebody always breaks something and by the time they pass Winch Hill 2 somebody is limping along so they have to get off.

This was their last run a few weeks ago. Here's one of them blowing apart his knuckle on Winch Hill 1

The yellow highlighting is where we went in and wheeled. You can see it's like 10% of the trail but plenty challenging for a rig with full sheet metal

0rJNdIM.jpg

Sick, sick, sick 80!! Incredible work. I think you should just build five of these and price these limited editions at $100k. You already know what to do and how to do it I imagine it would be easier the second, third, fourth and fifth time.

Zona

Ha! If I could sell one for $20k I'd be stoked. But thanks :)

Hats of to you man, this thing is a work of art! Great job!

Thank you sir

FORDYCE CREEK PICTURE OVERLOAD Bunch of random pics from 2 different cameras. Enjoy!

This is the silver 4Runner from my earlier pics. He got tired of snapping axles. After the 4th axle he was over it. Now sitting on a FJ80 front, leafs all around, Monstaliner in Desert Tan. This thing is rad

19246132352_946c61cb54_h.jpg

I wish my dog would follow me like this. He's such a pussy. I got a bootleg Lab

19280279462_a02e6e6280_h.jpg

18665707403_ff7c79414a_h.jpg

19280278482_7129951772_b.jpg

Coming out of the creek was really steep and slick. Took a few tries to get up

18663778924_50c5d3d94f_h.jpg

19098696428_5723660213_b.jpg

18663777654_2bfb8930d9_h.jpg

19280275742_5a2aed7e22_h.jpg

19280274702_8acd9514ff_h.jpg

Typical traffic jams

19098693228_4bb9c1384f_h.jpg

19280272992_d0da03869f_b.jpg

19100146319_3c8547e734_h.jpg

19280271742_9b944f6a5a_h.jpg

The disappearing tire trick

18665700173_3db482a359_h.jpg

18663771584_b74bcd9e3d_h.jpg

18663771064_5f8188f450_h.jpg

18665696333_8df140aaa2_h.jpg

18663764944_443c545574_h.jpg

19100134969_bf87b7a333_h.jpg

19286235995_ea17aef115_h.jpg

Sick bro!! Let me know next time. And/or you guys wanna hit up Barrett with me?

Sick bro!! Let me know next time. And/or you guys wanna hit up Barrett with me?

Heck yeah! I've been interested in that trail ever since it closed over 3yrs ago. Is it open? Or when is it opening?

This summer...

Cut off my sliders and started the rocker chop. So much more room for activities!

uploadfromtaptalk1435754575301.jpg

Are you planning a boat side type of thing? I keep looking at mine thinking of possibilities. I would like to do it so it continues to the rear and looks congruent with a high and tight rear bumper. Eager to see what you come up with.

Jason

Since you'll be there eventually, why not just chop it to a truggy now? :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I chuckle at how you get it to the next awesome level, then push it again. At what point will it no longer be able to be driven on the road? Not being a d1ck, just asking a serious question because that's where I see it going. I seriously admire all the work you've done to take this truck and morph into what it is today. Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know.....

Sick, sick, sick 80!! Incredible work. I think you should just build five of these and price these limited editions at $100k. You already know what to do and how to do it I imagine it would be easier the second, third, fourth and fifth time.

Zona

Farm it out to China and cut the price in half :flipoff2:

Are you planning a boat side type of thing? I keep looking at mine thinking of possibilities. I would like to do it so it continues to the rear and looks congruent with a high and tight rear bumper. Eager to see what you come up with.

Jason

I don't think I will. Probably stick with a traditional slider design. The base will be 2x3 or 2x4 square steel with your typical kickout tubing. But it will give me a lot more clearance up on the sides. My rockers were already bent after the old sliders slammed into them, so might as well start fresh. The rockers are huge empty cavity just taking up space.

Passenger side will be tough because of the cats. Plan on rotating the cats and tucking them up close to the body, then run a small Flowmaster race muffler right behind them, exit in front of the rear tires. I don't want to go above or below the frame. This a weekend wheeler and not a granny hauler so I don't really care about cabin drone.

oOIeS2V.jpg

Since you'll be there eventually, why not just chop it to a truggy now? :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I chuckle at how you get it to the next awesome level, then push it again. At what point will it no longer be able to be driven on the road? Not being a d1ck, just asking a serious question because that's where I see it going. I seriously admire all the work you've done to take this truck and morph into what it is today. Will it ever stop? Yo, I don't know.....

I thought you knew, it never ends! I don't think I'll ever go truggy since I like the cargo space and ability to carry friends, the dog and a kayak to the lake on Sundays. I also don't think it'll affect my ability to drive it to the trails. Plenty of chopped, bobbed and caged Jeeps and Toyotas on the freeways every weekend going to and from the trails. Might not be as comfortable as a plush full-body SUV, but they're purpose-built rigs, and that's just to have fun on the trails.

If I want to take a long road trip or need a family camper, I have the 5th gen which has more comfort and better road manners than an 80 could ever have

ifCFOJGh.jpg

And it's funny you mention the chop, because just yesterday I was sketching out my future plans. After the rocker chop I'll be making half doors, then the roof chop perhaps in the winter

XB10s3Ph.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I will. Probably stick with a traditional slider design. The base will be 2x3 or 2x4 square steel with your typical kickout tubing. But it will give me a lot more clearance up on the sides. My rockers were already bent after the old sliders slammed into them, so might as well start fresh. The rockers are huge empty cavity just taking up space.

Passenger side will be tough because of the cats. Plan on rotating the cats and tucking them up close to the body, then run a small Flowmaster race muffler right behind them, exit in front of the rear tires. I don't want to go above or below the frame. This a weekend wheeler and not a granny hauler so I don't really care about cabin drone.

oOIeS2V.jpg

I thought you knew, it never ends! I don't think I'll ever go truggy since I like the cargo space and ability to carry friends, the dog and a kayak to the lake on Sundays. I also don't think it'll affect my ability to drive it to the trails. Plenty of chopped, bobbed and caged Jeeps and Toyotas on the freeways every weekend going to and from the trails. Might not be as comfortable as a plush full-body SUV, but they're purpose-built rigs, and that's just to have fun on the trails.

If I want to take a long road trip or need a family camper, I have the 5th gen which has more comfort and better road manners than an 80 could ever have

ifCFOJGh.jpg

And it's funny you mention the chop, because just yesterday I was sketching out my future plans. After the rocker chop I'll be making half doors, then the roof chop perhaps in the winter

XB10s3Ph.jpg
How flexy is the door sill without the rocker there?

Yeah I saw some of the old threads. Was just curious if the rocker added strength there or not.

Now draw the rear bumper chop plans on that sketch

Is there areason you want half doors?? wouldnt a set of tube doors be easier and then interchangable???

Is there areason you want half doors?? wouldnt a set of tube doors be easier and then interchangable???
Aesthetics mostly. I just think tube doors on a 4 door SUV look ugly. Looks cool on trucks, but I just don't like them on big bloated SUVs. A half door keeps the body lines and covers all the gaps. Example, this:

uploadfromtaptalk1435811143733.jpg

Vs this which I think looks much nicer

uploadfromtaptalk1435811188364.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom