Everyone! Please help. Asap!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Just wanted some experienced eyes to take a look. 1978 fj40 ran perfectly but then it sat for 10 years. Sat covered. I'm going to order all of this tonight. Anything I'm missing? Thanks!

IMG_1219.JPG

if you got the money, then theres nothing stopping you. always good to know all your gear is in order.

and boy does this make me wish i lived in the states. would be awesome to just go on line and order stuff

if you got the money, then theres nothing stopping you. always good to know all your gear is in order.

and boy does this make me wish i lived in the states. would be awesome to just go on line and order stuff
Thanks! Knocked out a big sidejob so my wife's letting me do what I want with it haha. I just don't want to forget anything. Also ordering a new set of radiator hoses and a water pump. Not sure if I need the water pump with the oil cooler or not though? It's a 1968 with a 2f, completely stock.

Nothing in your post indicates what the emergency is.
Hey everyone! Just wanted some experienced eyes to take a look. 1978 fj40 ran perfectly but then it sat for 10 years. Sat covered. I'm going to order all of this tonight. Anything I'm missing? Thanks!

Clearly said I'm pulling the trigger on this "tonight". Wanted some suggestions on what else I might need befor I put the order in.

I understand the want to order the bumper, body mount etc. but I would replace wear parts first . The gas tank is a good idea, along with new fuel lines, fuel filter, belts and hoses etc.. Personally I'd get it running and stopping before anything else. Seems these trucks will tell you what they need as you drive and enjoy it. Your wife will be much more happy seeing it on the road instead of a garage full of parts. My .02 Good luck!

I'd probably get a new fuel pump also. I just installed a new water pump in my '76 FJ40 and I decided to go with an oil cooler set-up, but pretty much only because I had already gathered up new and used FJ60 parts over the years (oil cooler, thermostat housing, water outlet housing, etc.).

I'd probably get a new fuel pump also. I just installed a new water pump in my '76 FJ40 and I decided to go with an oil cooler set-up, but pretty much only because I had already gathered up new and used FJ60 parts over the years (oil cooler, thermostat housing, water outlet housing, etc.).
Thanks! Wasn't sure on the fuel pump but definitely wouldn't hurt.

I understand the want to order the bumper, body mount etc. but I would replace wear parts first . The gas tank is a good idea, along with new fuel lines, fuel filter, belts and hoses etc.. Personally I'd get it running and stopping before anything else. Seems these trucks will tell you what they need as you drive and enjoy it. Your wife will be much more happy seeing it on the road instead of a garage full of parts. My .02 Good luck!
Thanks. I'm having trouble finding hoses. I have 5k to spend and need to spend it all or she'll start trying to sucker me out of it haha

Thinking of everything in one order? I've often attempted that. Good luck! :)

Add :

5 new tires
New brake master cylinder
New clutch master cylinder
New clutch slave cylinder
New front brake calipers
New brake hoses
Possible new brake booster
Fuel pump
New battery
New cap rotor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
New radiator
All new hoses associated with the cooling system
Thermostat
All new belts
Water pump

New weather strips doors,top etc.
New carb or complete rebuild
Etc, etc.

I would try and start it first before diving in.....unless you did already. Congrats got any pictures?

Last edited:
Add :

5 new tires
New brake master cylinder
New clutch master cylinder
New clutch slave cylinder
New front brake calipers
New brake hoses
Possible new brake booster
Fuel pump
New battery
New cap rotor
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
New radiator
Water pump
New weather strips doors,top etc.
New carb or complete rebuild
Etc, etc.

I would try and start it first before diving in.....unless you did already. Congrats got any picture So?
I have everything on your list except brake booster and radiator. Flushed radiator and pressure checked with good results. I'll take a pic tomorrow!

Gosh sounds like military spending method. Spend before the admin changes. I agree with prev advice. What about tyres?wheells all same and correct size and true? How's the body any rust perf? 5Gr. gone like nothing. Happy shopping. Xmas in July

Oil is cheaper than engines... change it before you get it running, and very soon after to flush it out. Also I wouldn't add any antifreeze to the cooling system right away. Just use water and check for leaks. Then flush it out and add antifreeze. If the coolant looks rusty. Repeat the process. Hope this helps

Yeah v important flush n fill. Also flush htrs drain fuel etc. I just bot one been garaged 14 yrs. run 5000 km in that time. How old was that fuel?

Didn't notice that Oil Filter was mentioned.

I know diddly squat about suspensions, but I have have noticed some very knowlegeable cruiser heads say keep the front mounted shackle. Mark's Off Road has good suspension info on his Website.

Unless you are dead set on shackle reversal, I would suggest you ask around. My 76 came with a 2.50" Old Man Emu SUA lift. It stands plenty tall with 235 85 R16's. Very smooth ride and handles great.

Is that clutch kit for the cylinder or the actual clutch? Your clutch might still be just fine.

Last edited:
I don't see a need for a shackle reversal.

Thanks! Knocked out a big sidejob so my wife's letting me do what I want with it haha. I just don't want to forget anything. Also ordering a new set of radiator hoses and a water pump. Not sure if I need the water pump with the oil cooler or not though? It's a 1968 with a 2f, completely stock.

A "completely stock" 68 would have an F engine, and no oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom